M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fully expect to get an earful for posing this question, but what the hell...

I bought my daughter a .22 rifle to learn on. I have never owned anything in that caliber, so I'm learning that sourcing ammo at a reasonable price is a joke. So I have to ask... To me, .22lr has two purposes: as a training aid to become a better marksman or to famaliarize a new shooter to rifle operation, OR to shoot small critters for sport or as a supplemental food source.

I see absolutely no value in .22 for home defense or SHTF situations. Yes, you can kill small game with it, but you can kill small game with a lot of other calibers that double as personal defense rounds too. Please help me understand why people are hoarding .22lr.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Cheap
Light
Competition
Hunting (small and medium critters, .22 does less damage to meat)
Training new shooters
Training for AR shooters (just need a different bolt and magazine)

.22 used to be no problem to find. But as it is/was the cheapest per round to find, people started stockpiling. The AR guys made a huge dent in the market once .223 became rare as hens teeth post sandy hook. On top of that, the gunshow hacks camp the counter waiting for it to come in, then sell at shows for huge profit.

My cousin works at walmart, and their ammo comes in every night. The night manager buys almost all of it by the end of his shift, then sells it at markup.

Not saying it's right. But supply and demand is how it works. Make friends with the nightshift guys. It usually takes me a month or so, but I can normally get a box or two for a normal price.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Cheap
My cousin works at walmart, and their ammo comes in every night. The night manager buys almost all of it by the end of his shift, then sells it at markup.

Not saying it's right. But supply and demand is how it works. Make friends with the nightshift guys. It usually takes me a month or so, but I can normally get a box or two for a normal price.
That is not f_ _ _ ing right. No wonder we can't get 22lr at Walmart. I will bet anybody with half a brain at Walmart is doing this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bottom line, fear, people are afraid and that's driven by shortages on the shelf. When the night managers of the world as described by Dire can't turn a profit then we'll be able to buy a brick the same day we plan on going to the range. Until that happens and people stop snarking up everything they see on the shelf because it's been so long since they last saw it we can expect more of the same.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bottom line, fear, people are afraid and that's driven by shortages on the shelf. When the night managers of the world as described by Dire can't turn a profit then we'll be able to buy a brick the same day we plan on going to the range. Until that happens and people stop snarking up everything they see on the shelf because it's been so long since they last saw it we can expect more of the same.

That's what it looks like to me as well. When the price of .22 is approaching 9mm or .38, and add a lack of availability to the equation, I again have to ask, why bother? I'll just get a 9mm practice rifle.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I visited a Bass Pro shop here in Katy TX and was looking for some Match .223 to do some comparison shooting and the shelves were pretty dam empty and a clerk ask if he could help me and I said with what, your shelves are empty and he said that their was a couple that comes in all the time and buys a cart full off ammo to resell and the last time they were there they dropped $3800 and pretty much cleaned them out of a lot including .22 LR.

I know its a free market but IMHO limits need to be imposed !!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I stockpile .22lr for the same reason as M2 Ball .....

.... I have five Garand-Kids that I'm building M1's for, and have put away M44US trainers for them. They will need lots of fodder to feed these rifles, and Garand-Dad is better prepared to foot the bill now than they will be.USN2

On the down-side, I only have two cases of Remington white box and about 1 -1/2 cases of Aguila in .22lr, and around 7k rounds of M2 put away so far.USN4

We'll see how far that goes in the near future.USNA

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Cheap
Light
Competition
Hunting (small and medium critters, .22 does less damage to meat)
Training new shooters
Training for AR shooters (just need a different bolt and magazine)

.22 used to be no problem to find. But as it is/was the cheapest per round to find, people started stockpiling. The AR guys made a huge dent in the market once .223 became rare as hens teeth post sandy hook. On top of that, the gunshow hacks camp the counter waiting for it to come in, then sell at shows for huge profit.

I have friends who work at walmart and the ammo comes in on the trucks any given night. They unload it and put it out at 7 am every morning. Customers are buying it all up. Not the managers here in ohio. In fact we still have a 3 box limit on 22lr.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
At first it was fear and I guess in a way it still is. Fear that something will no longer be available because of insane laws. Fear of insane politicians nonsense drove many people to buy "Assault" Rifles that would NEVER have bought them under any other scenario, people want what they can't have. The harder it is to get, the more they want it, the higher the price paid Say they'll be outlawed and lines form. I sometimes wonder if horse crap was banned, how many people would we see tearing down pasture fences with a sack in their hand, and how many garages you'd see full of the sacks. The other driving force on 22 availability is one of the original 7 deadly sins GREED, Something that is destroying us as a people. Everybody's looking to "make a killing". In my part of the world I have been able to get 22lr fairly reliably at an average of 7/8 cents a rd although there are limits of 2 boxes or 1 bulk container and they are strickly enforced. For those of you with night managers usurping the supply have you considered informing corporate HQ , In a polite letter to the CEO ? I believe they'd frown upon those practices.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Being a serious prepper I long ago started buying up .$100/00 worth of 22lr once per month at Waldo's World using my Discover Card. This was back when a bulk pack was $7.97 per 550 rounds. This went on for years until their price reached $10.00 per 550 round bulk pack. Then I quit buying them. In the end I had countless thousands of rounds of Federal .22 that caused us no financial strain since the purchases were spaced out over a period of several years.

All of these bulk packs are all stored in 20mm or .50 cal ammo cans in a cool dry place.... And is much better than money in the bank from my perspective. I'd bet the farm that all of those $7.97 bulk packs are costing today's buyers far more these days than they did back when I bought them. I knew this back then and those dollars long ago spent are now protected from the ravages of inflation. There is a message here for those astute enough to pick up on it.

7th

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
In this particular case, I think much of the "hoarding" is being done by people who do a lot of reading on the survivalist websites. They are being told that the 22LR can bring down small game and can be used for 'bartering" when the financial system collapses.

I look at a 22LR cartridge as a commodity. It is only worth what someone is willing to give you for it in exchange. Many people are hoarding silver dimes for the purpose of barter. Since the majority of American's (No, you guys are not in the majority, LOL) are dumb, fat and lazy ..... They have not developed the ability to barter like those in third world countries. Most of those hoarding 22LR ammo don't have a 30 day supply of water, a garden capable of sustaining their family, wilderness first aid skills or a trained watch dog. They are putting all of their eggs into one basket.

Being prepared is like baking a cake......... The best have all the quality ingredients in the correct proportions.

Hobo

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I'm not stockpiling, I'm just maintaining what was passed on to me, like every good American should be doing. I might bump mine up a little to account for having more kids to provide for than my Dad or Grandpa had. Last weekend, I went to a family reunion where we were shooting .22 ammo, that was put away on 2-12-81, by either my Dad or Grandpa. I'll probably add some to the stash to account for what we used, rotate the stock a little.

·
Registered
796 Posts
One issue is its next to impossible to make 22lr in your garage or kitchen table. As opposed to any other center fire round or shotshell. So if and when the time comes that its no longer available commercially, what you have is what you have. To last you forever. My closest Wally's has most every common caliber available. .44 mag still being not consistent. But 22 Lr is still snapped up as soon as its put out for sale.

My LGS send out a blast email and Facebook post when they get it in and don't jack up the price. Of course it dissapears ASAP. I have suggested they save some for people actually buying a .22 firearm from them to buy some ammo at the same time ( I have recently ) and that fell on deaf ears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One issue is its next to impossible to make 22lr in your garage or kitchen table. As opposed to any other center fire round or shotshell. So if and when the time comes that its no longer available commercially, what you have is what you have. To last you forever. My closest Wally's has most every common caliber available. .44 mag still being not consistent. But 22 Lr is still snapped up as soon as its put out for sale.

My LGS send out a blast email and Facebook post when they get it in and don't jack up the price. Of course it dissapears ASAP. I have suggested they save some for people actually buying a .22 firearm from them to buy some ammo at the same time ( I have recently ) and that fell on deaf ears.
Good idea. My son celebrated his 21st birthday by buying a .357 Revolver. The local gun store had a policy to sell a box of ammo to each customer buying a new weapon. At least we were able to shoot it right away before hunting for ammo.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Woah woah woah... You sir have clearly not read very many apocalypse survival novels. Ok, even if you have, you've missed a few.

Good things about the .22LR
#1 - Extremely light weight to carry hundreds of rounds
#2 - Extremely easy to control and operate
#3 - Extremely accurate at its respective distances

For example, in the book World War Z (which covers every aspect of a zombie apocalypse), the government quit manufacturing high end munitions. They were a waste of money against an enemy that could only be killed by destroying the brain. Since the world was in ruin, they turned to a cheap and easy to manufacture round...

All I'm saying is if you need to kill, the .22LR is more than capable of delivery lethal shots to the head with pin point accuracy. You may not be doing at over 100 yards, but you'll be carrying 100x the ammo of any other rifle and your weapon will be extremely lightweight.

I'm a fan of anyone taking advantage of the .22LR for apocalyptic preparation.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
When I get home i will sent you an app that tracks ammo to your local walmart . works great for me

1 - 20 of 77 Posts