M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ted how come no one has come up with a Bull bbl design for the M1A/M14? It sounds reasonable to beable to design one, probably have to have a Gascylinder built into the bbl, but how come their isn't one? I think a bbl with thesame diameter all the way down the bbl would be better accuracy wise and would help dissipate the heat better. I can understand the recvr area being a little thicker but why such a drastic taper? Just curious if this could be done. I know how heavy the heavy match bbls are and just think a bbl a little thiner than a md weight all the way down could be done and keep the overall weight of the rifle somewhere between 13-15ibs, which is close to a M40A or similar. Is this crazy talk? I imagine the stock and op rod guide would have to be modified, but wouldn't this be better in the accuracy department. Just wondering.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I dont want to speak fo Ted but many M14 Owners now and especially in the Past used their Rifle for Service Rifle Competition and a Rifle as You described would be inellegible, the NRA Rules state that the Exterior( Looks, Profile) can Not be altered, as a matter of Fact the NRA Handbook gives the Max. Dimensions, that is why the Heavy Barrel M14 the Heavy part is hidden undeneath the Handguard, Examle on my Comp AR the Barrel looks the same as the GI issue but underneath the Handguards it is the size of a Truck Axle there is not even any room for a Freefloat Tube!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have asked that question many times.
I get the same lame response from good friends of mine concerning competition matches and component compatability.

The only outfit i've ever seen attempt it commercially is this place
link;(scroll down to "order # 43"

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php

It's doable for sure and there are a lot of people such as I that don't compete anymore;therefore could care less wether the build meets match specs or not.

I'm thinking the semi auto m40 from hell meself ;-)

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,178 Posts
Bull Barrel M14

It can and has been done. Bull barrels have been made and used in competition on M14 rifles. They are simply classified as NRA Match Rifles. The only difficult part is they require a custom made gas system to fit the bull barrel. It may be overkill however. I have fired some M14 rifles with heavy Krieger and Barnett barrels that shot about as good as anything short of a bench gun. A heavy barreled M14 in a McMillan stock will run 14 pounds unloaded. Add a scope and mount and you have a very weighty sniper rifle. You want a bull barrel too?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote Ted;" You want a bull barrel too?"

Hell yes I do!
The farthest it will be toted is from the trunk to the bench.

I honestly think(personal opinion of course) that there has not been enough "tinkering" with this concept by talented fella's such as you to realize its true potential off the competition circut.
If a army sniper can tote a 22# rifle package and a benchrest shooter can heave a 18# rig to the bench,then whats the big deal?
Heavy bbl NM builds/m25's are already 14+ pounds scoped.

As soon as someone fine tunes/perfects this concept then it will be touted as the best since sliced bread.
Which one of you builders are going to be the first?

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,178 Posts
Tote that bardge!

Your right. I sometimes forget the old addage: Different strokes for different folks. He-he!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't really say if I would actually get one if they made one, but I think it would be very benefitual. If a heavy match bbl will shoot 1/2MOA imagine what a Bull could do. The main difference is in the number of shots the bbl could take before heating up. From what I have read is the 2 big sellers on Heavy bull type barrels are;1. bbl harmonics, and 2. heat dissipation. A bull type bbl would take longer to heat up. We maybe only talking 3-4 more shots but hey it might be worth it in the Texas heat, LOL.

Over 14IBS, bring it on, make a more stable shooting platformDI5 . Their was a Gunsmith who used to add lead weights to his M1a's to make them closer to 17 IBS. This is alot of weight, but it would be not be over kill for long range bench or prone shooting. I was really just curious if it could be done/ had it been done, if it had, what were the results.

I love my Medium weight bbl and thought long and hard about swapping out to a heavy, but just didn't see the need to spend so much money for such little improvement, mine already shoots sub MOA. With alittle more trigger time and some finely tuned handloads I could probably achieve 1/2 MOA. Thanks for that answer Ted. On top of things as always.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your right. I sometimes forget the old addage: Different strokes for different folks. He-he!
As long as the builder is innovated and knows his stuff then this has large potential.
It is fertile ground on a platform that has been perfected since the 60's; but yet seriously overlooked.
Other than Kenny Jarrett and his "beanfield bolt rifles" in standard bbl profile every one else in the precision world uses heavy hand lapped tubes with little to no taper.
Is there a reason for that across the board other than marketing?
We can blow 3k on a precision custom match m1a build sans scope, or buy a 1400$ ar10t factory stock that will keep up with it all day long(sacriledge)
Someone somewhere needs to make a custom cylinder in at least 2 heavy bbl profiles and start playing with this idea.

I bet I can find 2 dozen separate custom gas blocks that will cover any contour/size bbl you could dream of for the ar15 in one goggle search.

There's a reason McNamara run off the conservative cronyism in the armory's back then. Innovation and free thinking "out the box" was at a dead low stinky tide prior to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bull Barrel M14

It can and has been done. Bull barrels have been made and used in competition on M14 rifles. They are simply classified as NRA Match Rifles. The only difficult part is they require a custom made gas system to fit the bull barrel. It may be overkill however. I have fired some M14 rifles with heavy Krieger and Barnett barrels that shot about as good as anything short of a bench gun. A heavy barreled M14 in a McMillan stock will run 14 pounds unloaded. Add a scope and mount and you have a very weighty sniper rifle. You want a bull barrel too?
Hi, I am new to this site. Dad had this sent This Ranch gun out to Texas I think where they put a bull barrel on it and messed with the trigger I don't have any of the details. I will try to link to my post in the gunsmith section. Any help will be appreciatedPlease give your honest opinion of this set up...

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
That is not a "Ranch" model?
It is a Ranch Rifle actually. You can tell by the rings. Looks like the rings that come specifically with the Ranch Rifle model. But I was referring to the Mini-14 target models that have bull barrels that look like 1" diameter. That was an aside as I thought the original question is regarding M14/M1As.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The bula ultra heavy barrel is probably about as heavy as you would want to go without having to do some heavy mods to the gas cylinder outside of what Bula already did. Personally I would love to see the ultra heavy barrel made again. I kicking around the idea of putting together a rifle for some log rang gas gun matches and the bull style barrel of the ultra heavy contour would be perfect for longer stages in these matches.

mad for like a true bull barrel that would take some serious mods. My imagination has run wild at times when I’m not in a place where I can have guns. A straight taper from the receiver to the muzzle might be difficult to machine the op rod Guide and gas cylinder being that both would have to taper. Attachment of the gas cylinder is another issue, maybe cross drilled tapered pins might work I don’t know I’m no engineer or machinist, I’m just a guy with an over active imagination.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
The bula ultra heavy barrel is probably about as heavy as you would want to go without having to do some heavy mods to the gas cylinder outside of what Bula already did. Personally I would love to see the ultra heavy barrel made again. I kicking around the idea of putting together a rifle for some log rang gas gun matches and the bull style barrel of the ultra heavy contour would be perfect for longer stages in these matches.

mad for like a true bull barrel that would take some serious mods. My imagination has run wild at times when I’m not in a place where I can have guns. A straight taper from the receiver to the muzzle might be difficult to machine the op rod Guide and gas cylinder being that both would have to taper. Attachment of the gas cylinder is another issue, maybe cross drilled tapered pins might work I don’t know I’m no engineer or machinist, I’m just a guy with an over active imagination.
They can't make it, they have a legal agreement not to.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!
REN

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That’s what I figured when I looked up the company and the person they had the disagreement with, I saw the legal motions and figured that was what it was about. That’s too bad it had to come to that. I figured it was gonna head that way based on a few posts on here when those barrels where first shown. That was some true forward movement that wasn’t held back by the it’s not legal for service rifle mentally. Hopefully they come back, in some way shape or form.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I have an early 4 digit s/n M1A with a heavy Barnett barrel that I acquired in the late 70's. It was my match rifle when I was shooting Hi-power matches in the 80's and 90's. It was good shooter and the added weight of a mercury recoil reducer made it pleasant to shoot but unpleasant to carry around. It does have a reamed gas system.

Not a pretty rifle but it was a great shooter.

·
Premium Member
18,400 Posts
That’s what I figured when I looked up the company and the person they had the disagreement with, I saw the legal motions and figured that was what it was about. That’s too bad it had to come to that. I figured it was gonna head that way based on a few posts on here when those barrels where first shown. That was some true forward movement that wasn’t held back by the it’s not legal for service rifle mentally. Hopefully they come back, in some way shape or form.
I too hope they come back. Not holding my breath, but the few I have installed in .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor were, and are outstanding shooters. Too bad things went the way they did.

Next best thing I have gone to are Kreiger SS Heavies for some of my precision builds.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you have access to Peter Senich's book - The Long Range War, he has pictures of some 'test fixtures' built by Rock Island Arsenal and another agency. They were essentially ultra-heavy barreled M14 actions; some in a conventional type of stock, and some not. One was able to shoot consistent 2-MOA groups with M118 Match ammo. Not a great deal of information was provided about the number of shots in each group or anything else, but the rifles themselves are pretty interesting. I believe that this testing was done post-Vietnam, and was eventuually suspended due to a lack of funding and an obvious need for same.

·
Premium Member
18,400 Posts
Ultra Heavy Barrels have been around, in different configurations, for decades. I think, as some builders are attempting M14s that are approaching .5 moa with reasonable consistency we may just see more enter the marketplace.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts