M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say it is because most people think of putting a Kreiger barrel on match or varmint/long range precision type bolt rifle. 18" barreled M-14 type rifles don't really fall into either one of these groups, so I wouldn't think Kreiger has much demand for them. Or if they do, it's a small enough demand so as to not be worth making them a normally stocked item.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had to guess, I would say it is because most people think of putting a Kreiger barrel on match or varmint/long range precision type bolt rifle. 18" barreled M-14 type rifles don't really fall into either one of these groups, so I wouldn't think Kreiger has much demand for them. Or if they do, it's a small enough demand so as to not be worth making them a normally stocked item.
Thank you. So that just leaves Criterion?

·
Registered
335 Posts
When you say "So that just leaves Criterion?", you make it sound like a bad thing. Criterion barrels is a commercial production division of Kreiger. They may not be made to the exacting standards/tolerances of the Kreiger marked barrels, but rest assured that the barrels turned out by Criterion will perform up to (if not exceed) your expectations.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you say "So that just leaves Criterion?", you make it sound like a bad thing. Criterion barrels is a commercial production division of Kreiger. They may not be made to the exacting standards/tolerances of the Kreiger marked barrels, but rest assured that the barrels turned out by Criterion will perform up to (if not exceed) your expectations.
No I say it like...who else makes 18" M14 barrels?

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
For years I wanted an 18.5 inch Krieger heavy cm 1/10 twist barrel. For years I would call Krieger every six months to see if they were going to turn any. They kept on saying no due to lack of interest. Well I hosted a group buy on the forum in 09 and generated the interest. Although we did not meet the minimum number required to order the heavies we did however manage to sell 46 medium weight barrels along with 30 or 40 medium and heavy weight 22 inch barrels. As a bonus, i was fortunate enough to have them turn two old 18.5 inch heavy blanks for me personally that were in the production managers office. He removed them from the previous run for his personal use and never turned them . They made quite a few over runs in the process that they put into stock. A few members were able to get hold of them. Unfortunately unbenouced to the production manager the last 22 18.5 medium weight barrels were sold to one individual from or friends up north in Canada. His intent was not to sell them as lots but to individuals.
Recently on the forum I have seen an increased interest in the barrels so I took it upon myself to call them for another estimate for another group buy. This was angriest and I was told they are having a production meeting the next monday and that I should give them a call monday afternoon.'
Well I am sorry to say they that due to there tight production schedule for the year they were not interested in producing any barrels for a group buy.

HOWEVER! I was told that they will be, in the coming months, produce a number of 18.5 medium weight barrels for there inventory. I was also told to pass on that members should check the inventory list on the Krieger website after the first of each month because that's when it is updated.
So for all of you that are interested in what I believe to be the finest barrel you can screw into an m14 receiver, they will soon again be available. Prior to the 09 group buy, the last time they did a full scale run on the short barrels was back in 01. If they gain enough interest selling the medium barrels maybe they will start stocking the 18.5 heavies again. Let me tell you my 18.5 heavy shoots as good as the 22 inch heavy. I am currently building a m14sa using a medium weight barrel.
Inwas also very fortunate to purchase 2 standard weight barrels from usmc2236's group buy from 08-09. There were only 100 of them made, it's also a fantastic barrel. All of you that have one I urge you to call or email helmut at Krieger. The reason they are nit putting them into production is due to lack of feedback and there doubts that the barrels are performig up to the Krieger standards. So please write. Maybe they will get the hint and out them into production as well.
The Krieger barrels are in the simplest terms! Sweet here are my latest LRB Krieger projects
18.5 medium and 22 heavy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Warren, I'd love to have a few 18.5 heavies rolling around, especially since they weren't produced for the group buy you did awhile ago. You bet, I'll pester Krieger about that. I'm still sitting on two of the 18.5 mediums awaiting the day the shoe box gets full enough for LRB recievers.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Warren, I'd love to have a few 18.5 heavies rolling around, especially since they weren't produced for the group buy you did awhile ago. You bet, I'll pester Krieger about that. I'm still sitting on two of the 18.5 mediums awaiting the day the shoe box gets full enough for LRB recievers.
I wish they did sell on that buy, I feel guilty having the two heavies I managed to get form them. Maybe it will work!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Inwas also very fortunate to purchase 2 standard weight barrels from usmc2236's group buy from 08-09.
Krieger is running a business, and a very good one. It takes them a lot of time and money to set up their machinery to make a certain type of barrel. They can't afford to make a half dozen or a dozen of something even if they wanted to, they would go bankrupt.

I wanted 2 standard USGI weight barrels, but to get them I had to buy 65. MCORPS1

I am running into the same situation now with a muzzle brake project. I have a design I'd like to get into production, but all the suppliers keep saying is "the more you order the sooner we will make them." GI9

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Krieger is running a business, and a very good one. It takes them a lot of time and money to set up their machinery to make a certain type of barrel. They can't afford to make a half dozen or a dozen of something even if they wanted to, they would go bankrupt.

I wanted 2 standard USGI weight barrels, but to get them I had to buy 65. MCORPS1

I am running into the same situation now with a muzzle brake project. I have a design I'd like to get into production, but all the suppliers keep saying is "the more you order the sooner we will make them." GI9
Well that barrel you managed to get them to make is an outstanding barrel. Not that i want any trade secrets, I have to admit I am intrigued in learning about the design. I wish you all the luck with your project, I know you have nice tastes when it comes to these rifles. sorry for getting your username backwards, i am suer its not the first time.

Is 65 the total number of those standard weigth barrels made? I thought it was 100. I managed to get them down to 30 each for the group buy i hosted, I guess I got lucky. We did however manage to get over 80 commitments.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Maybe with the changes to the forum we should "test the waters with a post" to see if there is enough interest to get another group buty from Kreiger. I was foprtunate to get one of the few med-weight SS barrels from a member here. No Expert sold me his one left from his buy. Just had Kreiger install it. Sent them a SA "loaded" without the flash hider & front sight with their barrel, USCG Muzzle Break & scout NM front sight. I find this rifle to be very accurate at 18.5". I would buy another barrel in a heartbeat from them. Krieger's work is outstanding & deserve the excellent representation that they have. Count me in on the barrel buy, 18.5" & stainless med-weight.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Smith Enterprise makes an excellent 18" barrel

Yes they do.
SEI offers both standard and medium heavy profile 18.0", 4 groove, 1:10 ROT barrels.
My standard is a rare chrome lined tube that shoots MOA.
My medium heavy is a sub MOA shooter and I believe it's one of the best 18.0" barrels you can put on an M14.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Maybe with the changes to the forum we should "test the waters with a post" to see if there is enough interest to get another group buty from Kreiger. I was foprtunate to get one of the few med-weight SS barrels from a member here. No Expert sold me his one left from his buy. Just had Kreiger install it. Sent them a SA "loaded" without the flash hider & front sight with their barrel, USCG Muzzle Break & scout NM front sight. I find this rifle to be very accurate at 18.5". I would buy another barrel in a heartbeat from them. Krieger's work is outstanding & deserve the excellent representation that they have. Count me in on the barrel buy, 18.5" & stainless med-weight.
Dirtyharry
Check my first reply, they will be stocking the 18.5's soon. I already check on a new group buy they said no.
You will be able to get one in the near future.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Any chance they'll make any medium or heavy 18.5" in stainless? I'd take 2 of each for future builds. I'd take any kind of Krieger 18.5" right now. I need it for my 2nd LRB M25 build, for my Sage Mod 0. I have a 22" heavy stainless on my LRB M25 JAE build. I get the barrel, I might do a Sage Mod 1 build.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.