·
Forum Jester
7,710 Posts
what about nibx vs melonite treatment

Reactions: Dougboffl

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I wonder if you could nitrite barrels that had corroded bores (dark bore) from corrosive primers.
One with good rifling and muzzle. The one's that shoot with good accuracy but no matter how well you clean the bore that patches come out black or dark brown. Like all the M1 Garand barrels probably in the millions that have "dark bores".

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I wonder if you could nitrite barrels that had corroded bores (dark bore) from corrosive primers.
One with good rifling and muzzle. The one's that shoot with good accuracy but no matter how well you clean the bore that patches come out black or dark brown. Like all the M1 Garand barrels probably in the millions that have "dark bores".

I pulled out a barrel after 2500 rounds had it Melonited, installed it back later on and it still sits in the rifle and still shooting very well after over 6000 rounds. Not showing any signs that it is ready to lay down on the long line. The rifle still managed to hit an 18 x 24 steel at 1000 6 out of 10 with irons the last time I took it out.

I did not do anything special to prep it for Melonite just took our the carbon and copper fouling, no polishing or lapping.

Prep you barrel, make it as clean as you can and send it to JY.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Nitriding won't fix a damaged bore. Basically, it is a form of super case hardening.

And to nitride it, you will have to clean all the corrosion out of the bore, clean, bare metal.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Disclaimer: Ya'll are way over my head on this stuff so I hope you don't get upset with me asking what might be basic questions.

1. I've seen thermal images of suppressor shooters depicting the suppressor at 700f+ degrees after rapid strings. Does this 700f hanging on the muzzle change the temper of the muzzle for bad or better?

2. Years back I worked with some Electroless Nickel coated (AKA Germany Nickel) wear parts (industrial electric-submersible pumps). I also have a 9mm handgun that was "factory" coated - slide, trigger, external barrel. On the pumps we had the volute and impellers done and the iron motor housings were coal tar epoxy coated. Not sure exactly where these pumps went but nine months later the EN parts were about all that was left. The lubricity & corrosion resistance impresses me and I wonder if it has been tried on rifles or why not?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Disclaimer: Ya'll are way over my head on this stuff so I hope you don't get upset with me asking what might be basic questions.

1. I've seen thermal images of suppressor shooters depicting the suppressor at 700f+ degrees after rapid strings. Does this 700f hanging on the muzzle change the temper of the muzzle for bad or better?

2. Years back I worked with some Electroless Nickel coated (AKA Germany Nickel) wear parts (industrial electric-submersible pumps). I also have a 9mm handgun that was "factory" coated - slide, trigger, external barrel. On the pumps we had the volute and impellers done and the iron motor housings were coal tar epoxy coated. Not sure exactly where these pumps went but nine months later the EN parts were about all that was left. The lubricity & corrosion resistance impresses me and I wonder if it has been tried on rifles or why not?
Shooting 1 round every two seconds for a minute (a very reasonable rate) will get the barrel temp around 200° F.

Three 20 round magazines at 1 round per second gets the barrel to almost 400° F.

A twenty round magazine every 5 seconds for a minute (barely do-able in a semi-auto, if you are good at magazine changes) will get the temperature up to around 1000° F.

The heat treatment of barrels is designed to take upwards of 1200° F for several minutes without damage.

As to #2, I am sure someone has tried it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Have a rifle on order from Jon, I'm really new to the M14's and can't wait to get this build. Learning more every day from this forum,
thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I seems to me like no one will melonite a used receiver or bolt, so it's back to the drawing board I guess. I am leaning towards Robar's NP3 on everything, but I just don't know if I like the look of a nickel grey M1A vs. black...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts