M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· NSR
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Recently, I got my ass handed to me for describing the M-14 as "obsolete". In spite of being somewhat dated it remains my favorite 7.62 x 51mm battle rifle for many reasons. It's probably because it has proven itself to be an able performer and has stood the tests of time, better than many newer platforms have...

An able performer, the M-14 has been fielded in many forms to meet real (and perceived) needs of the military. I'm particularly fond of the standard version, but have five variants, each adding and enhancing the capabilities of the platform. All have one thing in common...they are very accurate and lend themselves to perform well regardless of the configuration.

I like the quality of the rifle. It speaks of power and reliability. That may be because all of my rifles were 'smithed by TonyBen and I know they were build by a guy who cares about the rifles he builds. Parts, in most cases were USGI. In the case where USGI parts were not used I used high grade commercial parts. Simply put, I can't see cutting corners on a rifle of this type...so, my barrels, when not USGI are Krieger or Walther.

If all goes well I'll add to the stable with a DMR version (I can hardly wait) and a version built on the JAE chassis. That will be it for me. Eight M-14's is probably enough for any man...well, except for Art, that is!

I'd be interested in hearing why you like your M-14's, and in particular, what configurations you like best. Pictures are solicited. I'll add some of mine here in the next day or two.

It's late and I'm tired, so will sigh off...

Semper Fi,

Wes

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Sorry Wes - but you will offend the rest of us who cannot afford barrels like those -Kriegers and Walts..and USGIs. We get it - they are the very best. Many of us enjoying this lovely rifle sometimes can only start out w/ civilian barrels. Will you rather see this rifle apart waiting its whole life for a USGI barrel? or a Krieger? I myself will rather see it together and firing..even w/ a civilian barrel. Some will only go w/ forged receivers -LRB and the like. I built all mine w/ Fultons - but I will put these against any LRBs out there.

What matters to me most is the rifle score. That is it!

I learned not to put down builds that are less-than- purists ideals coz sometimes that is all you got. So you make do - to adapt and improvise - marines are best known for that. I am not a marine but I am a fan how you guys are made.

WE all love this rifle - Is your love for this rifle better or greater than mine? 😁

· Registered
9,837 Posts
Thanks Wes for sharing your collection with us, they are true works of art! If I had to pick my favorite, it would be my all Winchester, or nearly all parts used were of Winchester manufacture or their sun- contractors.

Nice rifles my friend

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN🇺🇸

· Registered
1,039 Posts
I like the M14 because it performs well in my hands. It feels right, it handles right, I love the sights, and I love the trigger. Then I started playing around with upgrades and found I could adapt the rifle to make it even better for my needs. I have always liked the 7.62mm battle rifle, and my ongoing project is to make my M14 the best battle rifle I can for my usage. I have really enjoyed modernizing it and pushing myself and the rifle to do new things. Below is a picture of my current build. Sometime this year it will receive an LPVO, as soon as I can get off the fence about which one I want to buy. The goal is to be capable of engaging out to 600 yards reliably, while keeping it as light as possible. The build pictured is only 12.5 lbs. with a loaded 20 round magazine. Oh, and it shoots 1.25 MOA with XM80 Ball. Overall I am very happy with the performance.

· Registered
4,099 Posts
For me, I shot the Garand in DCM matches in the late 70's and early 80's. The switch to the M14 platform was a logical extension of shooting the M1.

I got my first M14 clone in 1979. I still have it. It's an early Geneso rx (sn in the 6000 range) with a heavy Douglas match barrel. It was built by Jim Cloward in WA state. One of the few gas guns that he built. Its glass bedded with a mercury recoil reducer in the stock cleaning gear cutouts. This offsets the weight of the heavy barrel nicely.

· Registered
4,880 Posts
Now you’re gonna get your ass handed to you for making people jealous.
I always liked the Garand because of its use in WWII. I love the M14 type because of its similarities to the.M1
i like 762 over 556 for practical reasons and a bigger variety of bullet weights. Pow pow vs pew pew. I chose the platform because I look at it as more of a classic battle rifle.
My 16” is my ’black rifle.’ My 22“ is a precision rifle. My 18” is an all around ass kickin, toss it in the truck and run around the woods rifle.
I’ve handled more than my fair share of weapons and nothing fits my body type and size, not to mention my mindset, like the M14.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
I will add that my two civilian barrelled rifles -Barnett and Wolfe 5R - are both trailer queens. Both only come out on special occasions. They are my Super-Match ones.

The rest are all USGI-matching rifles. Minus receivers of course -Fulton. The USGI ones are the battle rifles -. Then I have a single Amscorp receiver early 80's = this my practice rifle. I treat her like a rented mule. 😁

And I am not a fan of anything shortened. Either a 22" or nothing for me. Only shortened I tolerate are the magazines. Gotta meet the requirement when hunting game -so use the super-short mag - even a gun-grabbing liberal will give you kiss.

Reactions: XM25Ren

· NSR
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gents,

I get the part of having a special rifle. For me that would be Ceilia Phayte. An LRB M-25 action that has one of Jon Wolfe's 5R/20 barrels fitted to it. The whole thing has been accurized and put into one of Hueygunner's wonderful stocks. Topped with a 3.5 x 10 power MK IV Leupold it is a perfect shooting machine. Accurate and reliable. My favorite? I don't know if it's my favorite, but it's right up there...

Wes

Gas Bag Wood Luggage and bags Engineering

· Registered
915 Posts
My Springfield M-1A is great. I really like the iron sights (though I do not use them much as I have a Burris scope mounted) and I love the trigger. An AR-10 I bought is lighter than the M-1A and I thought I liked it more until I began shooting it. The AR-10 is picky on ammo and seems to start having problems after about forty to sixty rounds of ammo and needs to be cleaned. It might be because I have less than 300 rounds through it that the bolt assembly and rifle just needs to be broken in.

My Springfield M-1A eats whatever ammo I give it without issues and it is accurate. I just do not like how heavy it is. It is also nice to have twenty shots of 7.62 x 51 with a rifle.

Reactions: XM25Ren

· Registered
2,137 Posts
A 30-cal round is more than plenty to break several dozen spines. Not sure how anyone can think they can survive a direct hit from a 7.62 NATO round. Anymore than 20-rounds will be deemed too heinous. 😁

A human canoe is not pretty to look at if you get hit w/ the M14. I consider this rifle the finger of God -

· Registered
One Shorty, One Reacher, One Pending Abomination
302 Posts
Is "it's not just another AR" sufficient? :p

There is just nothing like the feel of an M14 pattern rifle. Mine seems a little picky on ammo (ftfs in some M80 varieties) but man is it a pleasure to shoot. Plus I like that building them takes a bit more effort. Not unlike a 1911 when they are sorted, they are really something special. Not the easiest platform but they sure do run.

There is something uniquely satisfying about having a rifle you can use as a club and still ring steel at 500 yards.

· Registered
4,099 Posts
I like the M14 because it performs well in my hands. It feels right, it handles right, I love the sights, and I love the trigger. Then I started playing around with upgrades and found I could adapt the rifle to make it even better for my needs. I have always liked the 7.62mm battle rifle, and my ongoing project is to make my M14 the best battle rifle I can for my usage. I have really enjoyed modernizing it and pushing myself and the rifle to do new things. Below is a picture of my current build. Sometime this year it will receive an LPVO, as soon as I can get off the fence about which one I want to buy. The goal is to be capable of engaging out to 600 yards reliably, while keeping it as light as possible. The build pictured is only 12.5 lbs. with a loaded 20 round magazine. Oh, and it shoots 1.25 MOA with XM80 Ball. Overall I am very happy with the performance.

I like the EOTech. Is that a 552 night vision capable? My current agency won't go for EOTechs on our duty rifles. I do have two AR's that were my duty rifles when I was with another agency that both run EOTechs, a 552 and a 512.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
I like the EOTech. Is that a 552 night vision capable? My current agency won't go for EOTechs on our duty rifles. I do have two AR's that were my duty rifles when I was with another agency that both run EOTechs, a 552 and a 512.
Yes, it is NV capable. I also really like EoTechs. Its pending replacement is partly due to me developing a stigmatism and needing an etched reticle. I can still use an EoTech, but my precision suffers. I am going to keep it around as an NV optic in case I need it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts