M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a video the other day about some cart that a guy is selling.

Seems pretty slick. It reminded me of one of the episodes of doomsday preppers with the fella that made the big cart that could float.

It got me to thinking that it makes pretty good sense. Especially if it is a real SHTF kind of deal.

Got me thinking about making something. Something that can carry water and gear. Something with big wheels like a rickshaw but that is fairly small for total weight.

Anyone else gone ahead with this concept from a DIY perspective? I would think old wheel chair wheels would be an excellent choice to start with.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
i think that it has been posted already............

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
In light of recent events this thread begs the question; Are you talking about an "Assault Wheelbarrow"?

later, dozer

p.s. should that have been purple?

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Yes, this has been discussed before. Its normally the tires that dictate the weight.
I've dog pull carts that will carry a fair load. Plus an aluminum fold-it cart.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
How 'bout the idea of saddle bags etc. on a bicycle like the viet cong used on the hm trail? I thought of that earlier after seeing the assault wheel barrow. Possibly this could get you more stuff if you had to go on foot.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You mean something like a shopping cart? It's too bad they're so difficult to find. Every bum in the U.S. must be waiting for this product so they can get their cans to the scrap yard. Only time will tell, but I'll bet they'll be a big hit.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Well......................Thousands of Mormons went hundreds of miles "Bugging to Utah with nothing but carts.

Millions of Refugees fled the fighting in WWII Europe with nothing but carts.

"Gunkid", never made it out of his back yard with an "Assault Wheelbarrow" however.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I was a consultant with a boy scout troop that used one of these carts w/bicycle tires. It could haul quite a load. But it was more than a one-man show. Two boys in front, two in back, with another 6 rotating those positions (including myself). That was the saddest camping trip I have ever experienced.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
What we know as a shopping cart is not a cart. Original shopping carts had a single axle in the back & two tires. Two legs in the front that kept the cart level when free standing. Handle in the back that you pushed down on to lift up off the legs & then rolled the cart.
Modern shopping carts would be more closely catergorized as a wagon.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
How 'bout the idea of saddle bags etc. on a bicycle like the viet cong used on the hm trail? I thought of that earlier after seeing the assault wheel barrow. Possibly this could get you more stuff if you had to go on foot.
There are hundreds of models on the market. They're called panniers and are made for bicycle camping. This company makes the finest I've seen: http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/bags/

There are also simpler pannier bags made for shopping. You can get some really enormous ones but they're open at the top

You mean something like a shopping cart? It's too bad they're so difficult to find. Every bum in the U.S. must be waiting for this product so they can get their cans to the scrap yard. Only time will tell, but I'll bet they'll be a big hit.
The transcontinental use of shopping carts was of course demonstrated in the movie "The Road." Cheerful thought!

What we know as a shopping cart is not a cart. Original shopping carts had a single axle in the back & two tires. Two legs in the front that kept the cart level when free standing. Handle in the back that you pushed down on to lift up off the legs & then rolled the cart.
Modern shopping carts would be more closely catergorized as a wagon.
Last I knew, they're called "trollies" in Great Britain, an even more incorrect name if you ask me, and "chariots" in French Quebec, don't even get me started.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I realize the Op is trolling (real original)

However many make a good profitbselling refitted joggging strollers as tactical 3 gun carts.

I personally would like to see armed go karts. Think mad max just smaller.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually I am not trolling at all.

I searched this forum for bug out cart and there were no results.

I saw a video for some Exodus product and thought it was actually a genuinely good idea.

It seems there is some history on this subject that I am not privy to. Sorry to dredge up something inadvertently.

Back to my point though, the cart would certainly enhance a person's ability to carry more water. A shopping cart couldn't fit the bill because the wheels are so small. Every try to wheel one of those coolers or other small wheel luggage across some loose gravel or sand?

Those big rickshaw type wheel go over that kind of stuff without a problem. I was looking around the net and saw "pipe wheels" and they look sturdy as heck.

Basically they take 3/4" pipe and use it for spokes. I don't know the gauge of the steel but I would think it is pretty strong from a design standpoint. The other issue is tires. That is why I think the solid urethane or other type polymers found on wheel chair wheels would be good.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

The new WORKS AERO CART. I saw it on an infomercial recently and it looks tough. It even has a trailer hitch for moving small trailers. Those long arms fold out like a forklift.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I used to see people bicycle camping with trailers instead of pannier bags. They were called Bugalongs or something like that; I always thought those people were delusional because of the extra drag. But bicycle trailers for kids are still around, some for more than one kid side by side, and those could be modified to carry anything you want. For really bulky or heavy loads it could make sense.

EDIT: went looking and no by golly the camping trailers are still on the market, just never seen one. This seems to be an improved version with only one wheel; the earlier ones had 2 (and therefore twice the drag). Considering the price of a bike these days, the trailer's not too expensive really. And it's got BOB in the model name! Coincidence? I think not!

http://www.mec.ca/product/5001-324/bob-ibex-suspension-cycling-trailer/?q=trailer

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Had to take one of my dogs to the vet yesterday. There were wind gusts to 20mph. Saw a guy along the road with one of the one wheel trailers & he was really having trouble controlling it. Fortunately no traffic around me so was able to swing wide whne I went around him. But that trailer was swinging atleast 2ft on each side of center.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Had to take one of my dogs to the vet yesterday. There were wind gusts to 20mph. Saw a guy along the road with one of the one wheel trailers & he was really having trouble controlling it. Fortunately no traffic around me so was able to swing wide whne I went around him. But that trailer was swinging atleast 2ft on each side of center.
Did he have a high load in it or something?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts