M14 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
This may sound corny, but my uncle went into the Army in 1967 or 1968. I was only 2 or 3 years old when he did so. His basic training "yearbook" from Ft. Knox was chocked full of M14's, as that is what they used. I came into possession of it as a kid in the early 70's. Ever since then I have had an M14 "fetish". Unfortunately he died in 1990 at age 41, and feeling remorse I gave it to his widow (my aunt by marriage). A few years back I was visiting and made her promise to will it to me when she meets her maker.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My original interest was with the M1 Garand in my late teens and early 20s. I always loved the history & reliability of the rifle, but didn't much care for the 8 round capacity. Right about that time I read Black Hawk Down and how a certain Delta sniper preferred the M14 because the M16 5.56 round was often ineffective against against Somali militia inebriated on Khat. That peaked my interest, and for close to 20 years I always dreamed of owning one. Everyone always asked me why the M14? Get an AR10, you'll be happier with it they always said. I paid them no attention. Finally at 38 I was able to finally afford one. Then a year later I bought a 2nd. Planning to buy at least 2 more at some point. Have absolutely no desire for any other rifle. My wife has an AR, and she loves it, it's just not for me. If the S ever HTF I'll be grabbing my M1A Tanker and my 1911 with 4 spare magazines each and heading out the door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After getting introduced to my first M14 in boot camp at the age of 17 in 1966 I have just loved the rifle and all it's variations. The enjoyment of building and shooting these machines makes my day.

View attachment 435028
'69 for me at boot camp. Still don't own one (my bad) ; but I love the gun. Got to sight in a SA scout for a friend and loved it. Love your stable, Art.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was reading some old posts about the slotted/vented hand guards for the M1A's and was wondering if they are worth it. Some post stated that since they are fiberglass they are fragile and can crack easily. So I was thinking of getting a wood hand guard and using a router to cut the slots in it. But this what I got for now

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was issued an M14 when I went to USMC bootcamp in September 1963. I had to trade it in for an M1 for ITR, then back to the M14. I carried the M14 for my tour in Vietnam May 65 through June 66 plus a couple weeks. I never had a problem with the M14. It was durable and like the M1, reliable. It operated in rain, mud, dirt. And sand. Best of all cleaned up reallly well.

So, I bought my M1A about 20 yes ago.

I shot a pig with my M1A at 600 yds using iron sights. My M1A is marked as a .308 on the barrel but shoots 7.62.NATO with no problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was reading some old posts about the slotted/vented hand guards for the M1A's and was wondering if they are worth it. Some post stated that since they are fiberglass they are fragile and can crack easily. So I was thinking of getting a wood hand guard and using a router to cut the slots in it. But this what I got for now View attachment 435312
I had a glass slotted handguard on my M14 in Vietnam. So I got the fiberglass slotted handguard for my M1A. It is quite durable. I have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dang ! This guy is Terminal M-14 for sure !
I was issued an M14 when I went to USMC bootcamp in September 1963. I had to trade it in for an M1 for ITR, then back to the M14. I carried the M14 for my tour in Vietnam May 65 through June 66 plus a couple weeks. I never had a problem with the M14. It was durable and like the M1, reliable. It operated in rain, mud, dirt. And sand. Best of all cleaned up reallly well.

I shot a pig with my M1A at 600 yds using iron sights. My M1A is marked as a .308 on the barrel but shoots 7.62.NATO with no problem.

Myself I see the M14-M1a as the Premier U.S. Battle Rifle, Period

No doubt about it for reliability the robust design and engineering have created a long lasting versatile Weapon that has short or long range capability to follow shot after shot at desired target with accuracy and the knockdown power.

The Rifle just sitting there is SEXY, and you just want to hold the Rifle, and look through the sights and PLACE the bullet into the desired target. Hmmmm

And the MEN that have used the Rifle in combat that participate on the Forum to further the constructive use of Rifle for Marksmanship skills. Thank YOU to all that participate here, on the Forum.

I myself read here every day and continue to learn more about a Rifle that I have held for self assurance for over 30 years. That to practice my Marksmanship skills will make me a
better prepared Rifleman. Anything that I have written here is not ment to offend or DisHonor Men that have seen the Elephant, if I can use that term.

Why Do You Own The M14-M1A Rifle?
It's just a Maximum Rifle. Think of an M1, then Improve every shortcoming the M1 had. Issued a M14 at Ft. Jackson 64 never issued any other in Germany or Vietnam. Few Parts and Good Fire Power. She sure made you feel good in the dark of night in Phu Bai during 67. I never had any other. To me, the Fear of jamming was worse than the Jamming. My 14 Never Jammed.

·
Forum Jester
7,159 Posts
it's still a virgin

Reactions: XM25Ren

·
Registered
292 Posts
Originally I purchased the M1A because it was a magazine fed semi auto rifle that was legal to purchase in NYS after Comrade Cuomo decreed the N.Y. Safe Act. My AR had to go bye bye.
What I‘ve come to realize is that it’s a great rifle and what I lose in mag cap and weight I pick up in stopping power. It’s also a very handsome rifle and can be configured to an application almost as easily as the AR. I now own 2. One is a 50 - 100 yard grab and go battle rifle. The other is a 200 - 600 DMR. I figure I’m set on both fronts if worse comes to worse.

·
Premium Member
7,008 Posts
For me, I couldn't afford them when I was younger, now that I can afford them I've got'um! I like the fact that I was able to build mine using all 100 percent USGI parts apart from the commercial receiver. When I open up the rifle case and reach the firing line, I get a lot of attention. Folks will come over and ask about it and I am just too happy to share, even inviting them to shoot it.

There is not an Ar variant I would trade for, none.

These are my M14 variants, I think they are pretty cool!

Yea, I got a little carried away, but I do like them!
REN

·
Registered
93 Posts
Because it’s a Man’s Rifle, a Warrior’s Rifle. It reminds me of a ‘69 Pontiac GTO or a Mustang Mach I. M1 Garands make me emotional for all the right nostalgic reasons. The M14 makes me want to attack the nearest hill. It runs without a problem all day long. It’s incredibly accurate with the worlds best iron sights. And it’s daddy was the original badass of the infantryman’s world. It has the soulfulness of wood and steel that any true rifleman cannot help reaching for. Every shooter who runs it for the first time will always say “ Holy crap! That was awesome!” An M14 in the hand will make your heart beat faster and your senses sharpen. The Rifle screams “Get Some!”

61 - 80 of 97 Posts