M14 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
After getting introduced to my first M14 in boot camp at the age of 17 in 1966 I have just loved the rifle and all it's variations. The enjoyment of building and shooting these machines makes my day.

View attachment 435028
I believe I have commented on this photograph before before but what a truly beautiful array! I take a certain perverse pleasure in imagining my widow and heirs dealing with my collection. You have got me beat.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No doubt about it for reliability the robust design and engineering have created a long lasting versatile Weapon that has short or long range capability to follow shot after shot at desired target with accuracy and the knockdown power.
I think you answered your own question.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I love the "professional" reviews I see online and YouTube making the M1A platform out to be an expensive, inaccurate POS.

Of course these are the same people who reviewed "tacticool" ARs all the time. They always need the latest and greatest on "muh AR build".

They don't know how to properly shoot and have zero taste in firearms. Just my opinion but that's how I see it.
I can understand and respect those who don’t like the rifle who have experience with it but those people are pretty few and far between. It is funny how everyone loves the M1 but can’t stand the M14 even though it is the product of incremental improvements.

I think it is the product of younger guys (I count myself as a younger guy) hearing that it isn’t a good rifle from a keyboard warrior so many times they believe it to be true themselves.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I prefer a straight stock to pistol grip, especially in precision shooting. I like the way wood absorbs recoil, like the way wood grips with boiled linseed oil. So, when it comes to a choice for auto loading high precision rifle, there really was only one real choice. My SA M21 is a perfect fit with me, it is what I want. Reliable, accurate, and the balance and fit I want.

As for a regular GI M1a, I like the balance it takes from the old Mauser's, from which it the stock is inspired. The GI, loose spec rifles are more reliable if they have to be used in a general purpose role (in these current times, maybe more likely than we'd like to think), and the harder triggers are indeed more safe, and have their own advantages in high stress fast shooting. For me, even the GI style gun is a fantastic battle rifle, one that suits me very well. I'd probably take a G3 over an M14, but then again my love of the balance of the M14 GI and the stock might make me change my mind.

Measure a wood stock M14/M1a. Notice how sleek it is compared to an AR15. Heightwise, is is superior to other designs, compact that way, the FN FAL is good that way too. The HK delayed rollers and the AR especially are very tall, indeed, meaning even a "shorty" verson of such guns is still cumbersome and large. The M14 is in its own way very compact.

I appreciate all the veterans on this board who love their rifles. All of the people who do appreciate the designs inherent reliability with its gas system. The people who love the incredible aesthetics of the rifle. Those who respect the history of the weapon. But personally, I just really like the way it feels and shoots. It is a more natural rifle than its competitors, save maybe that G3.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I never really cared for M1A. A guy I know got one of those Socom II and they're kind a cool but not for me.

Then I saw a M25 "White Feather" at my local and I had no idea about them but I liked her. According to the dude it was there for a while (I suppose $5K price made her in to a wall flower) I asked them if they took payments? They would "for me" and here I am.

Learnt they were "factory" hot rods and limited production made the buy worth it. Might've over paid but they took payments and a gun I sold to finance turned a profit even with their cut.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Because I like to have a reason why my knees and back hurt when I hump it in the woods. If I had anything lighter I wouldn't have a reason to groan in pain.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Because it's a rifleman's rifle. Arguably the best one ever.
40 years ago today I became a rifleman with a expert medal on my chest when I graduated from Parris Island. Though I Qualified with a M16A1 I wanted a M14 since I was a kid reading books about Vietnam.
Now if I was still limber enough to snap in I could be one again but I'll stick with my comfy bench.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Because it is the most advanced weapons system I am allowed to have in my state (California) without serious modification. I have never felt under armed and I freakin’ love the trigger.

It’s definitely a learning curve to learn to shoot well, but I went to a shooting class out of state and everyone gave me a funny look, but I didn’t have any malfunctions and several $2000 Gucci rifles went down during the class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its OK to like more than one right? Colt/S&W, Ford/Chevy, Harley/Indian, M14/M16A1, Wife/GF (with permission of course). At 59, I was the first group required to register for the draft in 1979 because of Iran. Reagan got elected and they released the hostages. Choose to pursue my career civilian wise but always had a liking for all kinds of weapons. My civilian career as a commercial pilot allowed me to "play" and own a bunch of guns and to compete with them ( CMP, subgun matches, practical pistol and high power), including classic title 2 weapons as a Grease gun, Colt M16A1, 1982A1 Thompson, Uzi, MP40 and more.

So my point, and if its allowed here. The M14 is one hell of a weapon and so is the weapon that replaced it. They all have their good and less than good. Like anything else, choose the proper application for what's intended. If the weapon has some suitability for overlap, that's good. While nothing may scare the s**t out of the bad guy like the whine of a A10 getting louder, the image of a M14 certainly and clearly says don't mess with me. just my .02.

·
Registered
93 Posts
At 19 I hit USMC Boot at Sandy Eggo...at 125 pounds. Best shape of my life with four years of wrestling in HS and college, three years of cross-country. But that RIFLE! I had never fired a center-fire rifle in my life and it was impressively big for a runt like me. I lucked out on my PMI, a fire hydrant shaped Kentuckian:
"Yew do what ah tell yew and I'll make a RIFLEMAN outa yew". Damned if he didn't. Won my Crossed Rifles
and flew off to Vietnam. I have loved the M-14 ever since.
My current favorite version of it is a Scout Squad which for nostalgia's sake a put into a beater of a wooden stock purchased from a member of this august group. For the sake of versatility I pulled the forward mount and added an ARMS mount I already had.
Now I can use irons, Aimpoint (my friend now), or a conventional scope as need dictates. The trigger is GREAT, it's reliable and easy to lug with a ten rounder in place and a backup 20 at hand. "I don't want no teenage queen, I just want my M-14". And old love that I can keep without my wife shooting me.

·
Administrator
17,451 Posts
I have loved the rifle since our Uncle Sam handed me the rifle in '69. Now after >17,500 rounds down range through my NM M1A, in need of her third NM barrel.

New Mexico Range Report.

XXIV Corps

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
So there I was, happy over at the CMP forum, thrilled with M1 Garands, M1 Carbines and the 1911’s. Someone posted some information about the M14 forum. I came here and found a whole bunch of addicts hooked on this very fine rifle platform. No one warned me here about the slippery slope I was about to go down. Three rifles later, I was HOOKED TOO!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Because it's the Son of the "greatest battle implement ever devised".

^^^THIS^^^

I have always thought the M-1 Garand was a beautiful rifle. If a battle rifle, and implement of war, can be beautiful then the M-1 Garand personifies that description. The M14 is just as beautiful, but with improved features. I could liken the rifles to a woman, or women, but then this conversation would run the risk of going off the rails...

Reactions: m1sniper

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd always wanted one, but it was never near the top of the list. I had to spend a year in Connecticut for work and couldn't bring my better toys so I picked up an LRB M25. Been enjoying it ever since.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts