M14 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I needed a rifle. I don't have a huge budget so I was going to get an AR. I shot one with a buddy but I found I wasn't too impressed. I did like his acog but maybe the gun was too light? I couldn't hold it steady. The old wood and steel rifles always appealed to me. The m14 has it all. Great sights. Power and decent enough accuracy. I ended up with a scout squad. I want to remove the muzzle brake and add a flash hider to tone the blast down and I want to remove the scout scope mount and handguard and replace with a walnut handguard. That makes it look really good.
Ideally, I think the BM-59 would be my ultimate battle rifle but it's more expensive and less common so I went with the m1A

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
My love affair with the M14/M1A began when I started shooting NRA/CMP service rifle competition(1985). The first rifle I used was a NM M1. On borrowing a friends M1A to shoot a match I found my scores were significantly better. At that point I had one built, a year later had a second one built. Progressed from Expert to Master and finally Highmaster. Switched to an AR match rifle for competition in 1997. Now due to back problems I only shoot prone with bolt guns. However for me the M14/M1A rifles have a kind of personality, the AR's are just machines.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I’m a sucker for aesthetics and the M14 knocks it out of the park. It looks as beautiful as it does mean. It is incredibly well balanced and a sweetheart to shoot. I can’t praise the rifle enough. I firmly believe that anyone who talks smack about the M14 probably hasn’t touched one.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I find the M14/M1A rifle has a soul unlike other rifles except for a M1 Garand. It's accurate, powerful, and reliable. It's profile/look is attractive and like someone else said, it's the son of the greatest battle rifle of all time.

I've only had my M1A for 4 years, but lot of rounds downrange (4k+) and no failures except for one and that was a crappy federal primer, not the rifles fault.

It's the rifle I'm grabbing if the SHTF with no 2nd thoughts.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I firmly believe that anyone who talks smack about the M14 probably hasn’t touched one.
I love the "professional" reviews I see online and YouTube making the M1A platform out to be an expensive, inaccurate POS.

Of course these are the same people who reviewed "tacticool" ARs all the time. They always need the latest and greatest on "muh AR build".

They don't know how to properly shoot and have zero taste in firearms. Just my opinion but that's how I see it.

·
Registered
Extensive M1 Carbine and Rifle collections with current focus on standardized Army rifled arms
76 Posts
The first rifle the Army handed me was the M1, and I loved it. What a mechanism.

But then I got an M14 and saw the improvements over the M1. Thinking of writing a post in the Garand Collector's Journal... My Favorite M1.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
For me it was the logical progression from owning an M1 Garand. I put a couple of thousand rounds through my $295 Greek come back M1(purchased in 1991) and wanted something different. I bought my 75,XXX serial number M1A through a buddy's gun shop. I haven't had a moment's trouble out of it and it's still far more accurate than I am.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
In simple terms, the M14 combines the workmanship of skilled craftsmen with the heart and soul of a skilled rifleman.

The Craftsmen...

Attachments

21 - 40 of 99 Posts