M14 Forum banner

Why Do You Own The M14 M1A Rifle?

22827 Views 225 Replies 158 Participants Last post by  mos
Myself I see the M14-M1a as the Premier U.S. Battle Rifle, Period

No doubt about it for reliability the robust design and engineering have created a long lasting versatile Weapon that has short or long range capability to follow shot after shot at desired target with accuracy and the knockdown power.

The Rifle just sitting there is SEXY, and you just want to hold the Rifle, and look through the sights and PLACE the bullet into the desired target. Hmmmm

And the MEN that have used the Rifle in combat that participate on the Forum to further the constructive use of Rifle for Marksmanship skills. Thank YOU to all that participate here, on the Forum.

I myself read here every day and continue to learn more about a Rifle that I have held for self assurance for over 30 years. That to practice my Marksmanship skills will make me a
better prepared Rifleman. Anything that I have written here is not ment to offend or DisHonor Men that have seen the Elephant, if I can use that term.

Why Do You Own The M14-M1A Rifle?
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
I've owned and fired a lot of different guns in my life. Many looked cool but just didn't suit me.

The M14/M1A suits me.

I finally got to fire one the very first time maybe 20 years ago. I put it up to my shoulder and looked through the sights - and instantly I knew I was going to hit what I was aiming at. I never get that feeling with anything other than a Garand-style rifle. Ever. Took maybe 6 years after that but I finally got one to call my own.

Looks-wise, it is like a '70 Challenger - nice, classic old-school lines, but nowhere near old-fashioned or outdated.

Or, to put it another way, I remember reading a book about USN ships that was published in 1940. The author describes the cruiser as being "A lady, high-born and proud, who has kept up with the times but remembers the ways of her forebears." That would fit the M14.

· Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·

· Registered
117 Posts
I qualified on the M-16 and M-9 in boot camp and maintained my quals for years and always felt comfortable with my capabilities with them when doing boardings. That said, I always kept thinking back to the M-14 I had in Boot Camp and my Grandfather talking about his M1 Garand in the Second World War.

I shot 3-Gun some at local ranges and bought AKs and ARs but where never fully happy with them. I went full GWOT Era Veteran with an AR, Polymer Striker-fired 9mm Pistol and still not the happiest.

I finally got rid of the striker fired pistols and went 1911s and not too long ago realized I needed to just save and get the M1As I wanted. I lucked into purchasing two from the families of Vietnam Veterans who have gone into Fiddlers Green. So, my M14s will be treated with the respect they deserve and used to teach my sons to shoot.

· Registered
91 Posts
There are a lot of great reasons noted here from so many people. I have always loved military weapons. My dad served during the Vietnam war and he had an M14. However, this rifle platform is just pure and cool to me. I love the .308 cartridge. I have my rifle because I can and I am thankful for those that have served our country to help maintain the freedoms that we have. Everyone should own one of these fine rifles.

· Registered
239 Posts
Is it ok to say that the platform is just simply sexy as hell?? I will say this though..the FAL is a tight second. :D

· Registered
36 Posts
Myself I see the M14-M1a as the Premier U.S. Battle Rifle, Period

No doubt about it for reliability the robust design and engineering have created a long lasting versatile Weapon that has short or long range capability to follow shot after shot at desired target with accuracy and the knockdown power.

The Rifle just sitting there is SEXY, and you just want to hold the Rifle, and look through the sights and PLACE the bullet into the desired target. Hmmmm

And the MEN that have used the Rifle in combat that participate on the Forum to further the constructive use of Rifle for Marksmanship skills. Thank YOU to all that participate here, on the Forum.

I myself read here every day and continue to learn more about a Rifle that I have held for self assurance for over 30 years. That to practice my Marksmanship skills will make me a
better prepared Rifleman. Anything that I have written here is not ment to offend or DisHonor Men that have seen the Elephant, if I can use that term.

Why Do You Own The M14-M1A Rifle?
I trained with an M14 at Fort Benning back in 1966. I think it was in 2003 that the first M1A/M14 only match was held at Camp Perry during the National Matches. It was the 100 year anniversary of the Matches at Camp Perry. Had I known about this match I would have purchased and competed in this historic match. This match sparked a new interest in the M14s. In 2018 I purchased a BULA at Camp Perry. I shot it at the National Matches, it shot well, I didn’t😢

· Banned
176 Posts
Speaking of M1A accuracy, I had a double lug that was bolted into a pillar bedded McMillan with the heaviest Kreiger you could squeeze in, unitized and tuned gas system, and a worked NM trigger group that when I had a scope on it would hold right at 3/4 MOA with 168 SMK & IMR 4064. It was a sweetheart but honestly a porker. It was a great rifle...

· Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Is it ok to say that the platform is just simply sexy as hell?? I will say this though..the FAL is a tight second. :D
Yes, perfectly fine to know and value the inherit strength of the M14 design.

She is Beautiful!

Rhodie Short shorts are a must.

· Premium Member
M1A Standard
4 Posts
Because it's just an awesome rifle! I met the M14 as a shooter on the 1993 Parris Island Rifle Pistol Team. I remember the first time holding it and how that McMillian stock felt, then, actually pulling the trigger for the first time. I was hooked! But, I didn't buy my first M1A Standard until twelve years later. And now many years later a Super Match is in my sights.

· Registered
556 Posts
Because it's the Son of the "greatest battle implement ever devised".
I have never had a single weapon system take such a hard hold of me period! All the different configurations give you lots of options, building up Replica Rifle variants as the platform evolved since the late 50's give you many projects to pursue and build. Also, the simple fact that the platform is still in use nearly 60 years later prove the value of the design.

As many of you know I truly think the USGI wood stock variants have some of the finest lines and are just plain sexy!

I have said many times that when folks come to my house and we go look at weapons in my shop, when I pull out the M14's it's basically game over!

This is my current favorite in my stable - my XM21 Replica Build!

M1Army

View attachment 435020
Is that the unobtainium ETool cover?

· Registered
375 Posts
I have mine because it's a good/accurate/fun semi auto rifle. I bought it new in 1992 and even hunt with it once back in 1998 in Telluride Co. for Elk, but on that trip, I didn't get one. I use a 300 Win Mag bolt gun with scope now for Elk hunting endeavors. Am into the ELR game now and exclusively shoot custom built bolt guns for that. However, when I go the gun club and bring friends, I give it to them to shoot while I'm fooling with one of the bolt guns and they have a ball with it. I lost count of how many rounds that have been put through it, but I would guesstimate somewhere around 50,000 and other than swab out the barrel and keep it greased and oiled where she needs it, she still shoots great. The only time it has jammed was way back when I bought some 20 and 30 round cheap, unknown origin made magazines from a gun show. I've used Checkmate mags exclusively for many years now and haven't had any feeding or jam problems since.

201 - 220 of 226 Posts