M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself I see the M14-M1a as the Premier U.S. Battle Rifle, Period

No doubt about it for reliability the robust design and engineering have created a long lasting versatile Weapon that has short or long range capability to follow shot after shot at desired target with accuracy and the knockdown power.

The Rifle just sitting there is SEXY, and you just want to hold the Rifle, and look through the sights and PLACE the bullet into the desired target. Hmmmm

And the MEN that have used the Rifle in combat that participate on the Forum to further the constructive use of Rifle for Marksmanship skills. Thank YOU to all that participate here, on the Forum.

I myself read here every day and continue to learn more about a Rifle that I have held for self assurance for over 30 years. That to practice my Marksmanship skills will make me a
better prepared Rifleman. Anything that I have written here is not ment to offend or DisHonor Men that have seen the Elephant, if I can use that term.

Why Do You Own The M14-M1A Rifle?

·
NSR
1,489 Posts
MuleSkinner88,

There are many reasons to own an M-14. When mine get all built I'll have nine. I like the history of the weapon and the men who carried it. Also it's accurate, good for match shooting, or just plinking around. I love mine and think it will be the last rifle I give up when I pass on...

Wes

·
Super Moderator
3,437 Posts
I have never had a single weapon system take such a hard hold of me period! All the different configurations give you lots of options, building up Replica Rifle variants as the platform evolved since the late 50's give you many projects to pursue and build. Also, the simple fact that the platform is still in use nearly 60 years later prove the value of the design.

As many of you know I truly think the USGI wood stock variants have some of the finest lines and are just plain sexy!

I have said many times that when folks come to my house and we go look at weapons in my shop, when I pull out the M14's it's basically game over!

This is my current favorite in my stable - my XM21 Replica Build!

M1Army

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Because it is part of OUR American Heritage and remembering it is what matters .
From the Muskets of the Revolution to the Rifles of the present day that have insured our Freedom that exists no where else in the World , it is up to us to keep the Heritage alive.
Plus it's just flat smooth a pleasure to shoot and it's COOL too !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had wanted an AR 10 in 308 but by the time I got serious about it, the latest shortages hit. I had considered an M1A but it looked like mounting a scope was a hassle. Then I got to shoot a Garand with open sights and even at 67 years old I could hit with it. That sold me! I could have a 308 autoloader that didn't need a scope. I lucked out and found a new Springfield M1A standard with the FDE plastic stock. Love it!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
It always appealed to me. I recently broke my Scout down, taking off the scope, and the bipod. My gosh, I think I fell in love again with it after removing all that weight... Taking it too the range this week, and getting reacquainted to the iron sights. I may never put a scope on it again. It is just so balanced as it is.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,679 Posts
I fell in love with the M14/M1A at age 13, I was in a selected group of 4 from all units of our JROTC as one of the stalwart Cadets of the whole group, to be able to privately fire some real battle rifles at the end of a firearms safety training weekend. They had M1a, M1 Garand, and a M1903 Springfield. So of course the M1A resonated with me immediately. I decided I would get one someday, it only took until I was 30, I took a 2nd job to save the money to get it.
m14brian

·
Registered
146 Posts
It seems the craze is 16 inch barreled rifles these days. And I'm not opposed to them - they are handy...But a full 22 inch barrel delivers what I want from a 308 rifle - enough power to be effective after passing through windows, doors, walls, whatever barricades one might encounter. I really don't expect for the left to stand out in the open and shoot at me when Trump wins again lol. The recoil is mild enough for quick follow up shots too. I shoot a Springfield M1A Standard. I got it on sale, and to have something I could run like a mad man with cheap ammo - just to enjoy shooting the 308 cartridge. It's a pretty rifle too. I figure with open sights, no one really wants to mess with me at 200 yards and in. I can shoot it out further with open sights - but one to two hundred is where I enjoy shooting it the most, and most likely the practical ranges I would need it at - I think - I hope. Depending on one's income bracket, there can be a limit as to how expensive a rifle can be before it starts losing it's utilitarian use. My M1A gets shot like I stole it. And after 10,000 rounds, I'll probably sell it - buy another - and repeat the process. I also think the M1A / M14 says something about a man's character. It makes a statement , and I like what it says. I post this reply as the last thing I do before lights out. I usually shoot out in the desert for fun - But in 5 hours I will rise from bed - grab my M1A and my range bag - and be at an officail shooting range 15 minutes prior to opening. I'm shooting for groups tomorrow. Serious what can I do on paper at one and two hundred yards. I have high hopes actually. Iron sights - I'm hoping for 3 to 4 inch groups at 100, and 6 to 8 at 200. If I was scoped, I would hope for better. But this is my open sight battle rifle - I just want to be able to score quick hits out to 200 yards. 200 yards is the furthest this range reaches out to for now. I'm so excited to put my shots on paper I'm not sure I can sleep. Yeah - Not many firearms do that to me. How many solo camping trips has an M1A served as my protection in the deep woods. A 22 inch barreled open sighted M1A has always made me feel safe all alone deep in the woods of black bear country. The military history of the M14 appeals to many - me too I guess. But my own history of civilian use with it on outdoor adventures is what has really bonded me with the platform. Sorry for the long reply, but I just had to post when I saw this thread.

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
After getting introduced to my first M14 in boot camp at the age of 17 in 1966 I have just loved the rifle and all it's variations. The enjoyment of building and shooting these machines makes my day.

IMG_3643.JPG

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I fell in love with the M14 in the Army.
Had issues (reliability) with an M16A1 in AIT. DIdn't like the "sproing" sound I heard/felt in my ear every time I fired it.

Got to Ft. Myer, got my M14 issued to me. Nothing much happened till we went to qualify (zeroed first, of course). Shot it at 25 meters. I didn't think much about my groups on the 25 meter range (squirrel hunting range, you know - head shot squirrel hunting range) but the 1st Sgt. was all excited when he saw it and started hollering at us and pointing at the target and asking who shot that target. I raised my hand and told him it was mine. He told me to come get him when it was time for me to qualify because he wanted to watch me shoot my rifle. He was busy somewhere else at the time though.

Later, when we had some riot issues down in DC we were on alert for a possible bus ride downtown to deploy around the White House (outside the fence we figured). I was told to report to the 1st Sgt's. office and figured I must have done something bad I didn't realize would get me in trouble. Since we'd already grabbed our rifles, gas masks, etc. in preparation for the bus ride I took my gear with me. I got down there and he told me to just sit on the bench outside his office. A couple other guys showed up and also sat down. After awhile (I can't help myself) I had to ask Top why we were sitting at his office while our platoons were out back waiting to load up. He told us that we three would be issued live ammo/magazines. We would be under the command/control of our platoon leaders and if ordered to would be there protect our platoons from gunfire from rioters if anyone was stupid enough to shoot at us. We didn't go. We sat there till they released us from alert status and then we turned in our rifles/gas masks and finally went to bed to get some sleep for the next day.

One of the parts I remember from the M14 manual was that the rounds we fired would penetrate enemy vehicles (trucks, etc.) out to 600 meters and take out the enemy personnel inside. Comforting feeling to know how hard it is for an enemy to "hide" from your M14.

I was 18. That M14 never seemed heavy to me. Later, when I got my M1A I used it to deer hunt with in the mountains of Greenbrier County, WV. It never seemed heavy to me up there either. At 62, the darn thing is heavy, but I guess I could get used to it again if I had to start carrying it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have been collecting and shooting Garands for 25+ years. Had 40 in my safes at one time. Had about 400 go thru my hands over the years. Now have 2 M1as, Bula and SA. and down to 1 garand. If you are over in CMP forum you know me. I am impressed with M14 style. Cannot stand the black guns! Give me a 308! every time.

·
Registered
558 Posts
As a young man I fell in love with the M1 in the early 2000's. I liked the way it shot and handled, the history, and the reliability. I have always preferred .30 caliber. Several years ago I got the itch for something more modern. The M14 was the logical move. It didn't turn out like I expected. I thought I was getting a Garand with a box magazine and an improved gas system. The M14 handled and shot differently; better in both cases, once I got used to it. The M14 is its own animal, and it's quicker in the hands than the M1. I came to prefer it, though I still love my M1. The M14 took over as my go-to rifle.

Here is my JRA, set up to be my general purpose rifle. It has received a few more upgrades, but this is the most recent picture I have.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts