M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and my buddy got in a little argument earlier because he just bought a colt 1911 and since he knows I have a glock so he childishly made it a point to say "it's way better than a glock" and he's never even owned one his reasoning is because his colt government doesn't have plastic parts and is twice the price so it has to be better, talk about an educated response . So I said to him it depends on what you consider better to mean the glock is cheaper, can take more neglect/abuse and has nearly double the capacity and has been the most reliable pistol of the many different brands I've owned and is lighter in weight. It's not the prettiest and not quite as ergonomic and does lack the more classic looks of other pistols. Being the competive guy I am I said let's put fifty bucks that me and my sharty glock can outshoot you and your colt and then he got really childish saying "you think your the best marksman in the world and know everything about guns, let's have a bow shooting contest with my 2000$ bow to see who the real marksman is" I'm not bragging but I'm really good with a handgun but like all things that comes with years of practice and I was trying to show him it's mainly the shooter, well at least as much as it is the gun. Those people that think just cause they bought a 1100$ pistol that they'll outshoot someone who has practiced all his life just cause he has a gun "made out of plastic" really irritate me and it got me thinking why the people that just hate glocks do as I've owned and shot nearly every model of glock and have had nothing but good experiences except for the occasional hot casing down the shirt

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Our world is full of haters of everything. Just look through the boards and see the number of people that will jump in with a negative on pretty much any thread.

I have never liked a Glock because of the grip angle. I find it awkward. Maybe because I have had a 1911 in my hands shooting bullseye since I was about 11 (we won't talk about how many years that is). The Glock is actually closer to the international grip angle you will find in old High Standards and the new high end bullseye pistols. Just doesn't work for me.

I have several XD's (older ones) and find those to be fine pistols. The are light, reliable and pretty much eat anything (except for my 25yd wadcutter loads!!). Wish they were made in the USA but I can say that about a lot of things.

·
Super Moderator
11,383 Posts
Some of it is friendly jib-jab and others can't accept the remote possibility that modern developments in polymers can do a very good job in a role where metal once ruled!

Look at classic cars. they are made of nearly 100% metal components. Then you look at a modern car. There's more composites than you can shake a stick at. They weigh half as much as the older cars. They run more efficiently and have modern safety features. They run cleaner and cut air pollution exponentially.

Even though they do the job well and most people them, they are not as romantic and nostalgic as jumping in that old 57 Chevy or the 69 Camaro or the 1965 Shelby GT 500.

Heck, this is the M14 FORUM! It's a classic, romantic firearm for most of us. And just like the 1911 now has rails and other features, our M14's are getting modern makeovers too. They still aren't as cost efficient to own as AR's, or SCARs, but that doesn't stop us.

Tony.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Chevy, Ford. Dodge. Same deal.
I own a Glock and a 1911. Love em both.
You shold just keep telling him he should get a glock. Lol. Literally, every time you see him...tell him how much you love your glock...and how every one at the range loves to shoot it...etc. lol
I do this to my Glock hating friends...they have stopped discussing this topic with me. They just shake their heads.

Dutch

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well, some of it is lack of knowledge and the propaganda on the "safety issue". I've had 1
Glock the model 21 and I was surprised about how well it shot right out of the box.
I don't understand why anyone would criticize someone else's choice of pistol or rifle or?
Ignorance? Jealousy? Human Nature?

·
Registered
871 Posts
There are lots of the ,It was this much so it must be the best and it's this brand people out there. But I guess I'm and old school kind of guy that gets ribbing . I don't have an AR ,or a plastic striker fired pistol. Well for that matter no under armer ether , HaHa, but I do know, if I were going to have a hi cap striker fired handgun it would be a Glock.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I don't 'hate' Glocks, I just prefer American made products. If you want to go plastic, my M&P 9c and my Shield are great pistols. Why not support American workers?

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I disliked Glocks the first time I handled one, too blocky and strange, but after shooting one I changed my tune. They suit me. But for what I consider the final word, look at all the strike fire clones on the market now; it's the verdict of the free market.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I don't 'hate' Glocks, I just prefer American made products. If you want to go plastic, my M&P 9c and my Shield are great pistols. Why not support American workers?
Some Glocks are Made in the USA. Just look for the USA stamp. How do you think they finally offered a 380 in America after all?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I am not a Fan of the Glock. There are other Guns I don't like either. Just my likes or dislikes.

This being said Richard Marcinko said they are Good Guns. So if you believe a SEAL Team Leader than there is an Endorsement if there ever was one.

I will also say when the Suffolk Co. PD went to the Glock 9MM, when they showed up at the Range we would tell them we had them covered.
They would say "what do you mean?" and I would tell them Don't worry if you break it I have Model Airplane Glue in my Bag.

Like every other Brand out there you will have Likers and haters. Some have a good reason and some have none.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Through my child hood , I had never shot a semi-auto pistol. Always revolvers. ( sheltered country boy ) I bought my first 1911 at 17 after joining the Guard. A Sgt in my company was a shooter ( Gov's twenty ) and FBI agent. He also home built 1911s.
In the Army I learned I HATED the Berreta , thats when Sarge talked me into the 1911. Love !!
All of my cop buddies carried Glocks or 1911's. Plastic , who wants a plastic pistol !! Well I was humbled a few years later when a buddy of mine needed to sell his first gen Glock 21. I did not want it but would help him any way I could. Well , guess what ? I still have it and 8 other Glocks. It's simple , it works and accurate at pistol engagement distances.(IMHO ) I am not a super dooper operator nor sniper but through my enlistment I gained lots of training and experience. I grew ALOT ! I still love my 1911 but Glocks are my choice of combat SHTF / self defense pistol. That's just me.
Btw, that clunky first gen 21 is my favorite Glock with hand loads. Sorry this was long winded. Too much coffee !!

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,613 Posts
Grip angle, trigger, and their perceived thickness when CC. They are not exactly the easiest pistols to hide for me.
I don't 'hate' Glocks, I just dislike them after handling and firing a 1911 for over 2/3's of my life. Just like handling a .380 from SIG, way to small for my hands.

DI5

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Have had CCW permit since somewhere in early 80's and only handgun I knew was the Colt 1911/45ACP. Not thing wrong with it, but it's heavy and finally broke down and bought a Glock 26, "baby glock" for carry purposes. Pretty much goes wherever I go and go to local range once a month to shoot rifles, but run a box of ammo through the Glock just for practice. Did this for years now and look upon the pistol as a very basic tool for self protection, nothing else. At 10 paces can hit just about anything I want to and it feeds fine and so far has never failed to work like it is supposed to work. The finish on it is some tough stuff for if not on me it is tossed in my range box and not given any extra care for fear of marring it, don't believe you can hurt the thing. Pretty it's not, but "pretty is as pretty does."

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I like my Glock, but I don't love it. I think for a lot of people, their feelings on guns have a lot to do with aesthetics. The Glock isn't pretty or fancy, it just works.

I've only shot a couple if 1911s, my friend's dad's Gold Cup and some stranger's Kimber at a shooting range. I don't remember much about the Gold Cup but I'll always remember that Kimber as having the nicest trigger I've EVER pulled. That was a gun I could love.

The only pistol I can say that I've shot that I hate would be the Steyr M series. Crappy sights, crappy trigger, slick grip, poorly made magazines...just an overall POS IMO.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Never mind how well they work. Each model is uglier than the next and for that reason alone, they will never be as "cool" as 1911's or even BHP's. And I'm on the outside looking in. I don't have anything to do with handguns because they only do one thing well and I don't ever plan on being that close!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Glocks are just tools in my opinion. I just can't get attached to them like a Colt 1911 or an old S&W revolver. Glocks have no polished deep blued metal, a cheap feeling creepy spongy plastic trigger, no checkered wood grips and definitely lack the hand fit "gliding on ball bearings" feeling of a 1911 action! When I look at a P&R S&W N frame, I appreciate all of the hand fitting, the precision craftsmanship that it took to assemble the revolver. A Glock on the other hand just does not have any of that, I can only compare it to tools, it works and does the job, but if it gets scratched up I am not heart broken. That is why I carry a gen 4 G19. Not because I am a Glock fanboy, or it shoots ultra accurately, or I like it. I don't like it as a matter of fact, but it is a tool that will get the job done. I would much rather carry a Colt LW Commander in .45acp, but if you carry a pistol daily, they get beat up. I would rather just let the Glock take the beating!

1 - 20 of 386 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.