M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been loading 42.5 grains of 4064 behind my 178 hpbt for my bolt gun and lr 308. at 2.82 coal. This seems to be a pretty reasonable load looking at what other people do and according to the lynman manual this is 1-2 grains lower than max (compressed) load. Hornady lists 42.3 gr as max. I like how this load chronos--2700fps sd >9% on 3 5 shot strings out of my 26 inch barreled lr 308 varmiter. And I get sub moa groups without trying too hard. What do other people think?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sounds like a decent long range load.
What kind of brass, weight of brass, what primer ? How many loads are you getting out of this brass with that load ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the M1A, I also use 42.5 gr of 4064 under a 175 SMK, in a commercial case. I drop at least 0.5 grains when using Lake City brass.

2.82" OAL is perfect for an M14 magazine.
I have used that exact load as well. For my bolt gun I get quite a few loads, it's quite easy on the brass--no signs of wear at all. What I usually do is buy 1000 federal or LC once fired. Load it for my m1a or LR308, Then sort out the best after I shoot them once out of the auto's. I use that brass for my bolt gun for many repeated reloads. The rest I load it 2 more times and then I collect it for recycling (sell it for scrap) Depending on my needs at the time I will sometime load up for the bolt guns from the once fired. I already sort my projectiles by weight for my LR 308 and Bolt gun, leftovers I load on the m1a (for 168's) For my 178's I just match up loads. I measure my brass but don't weigh it. I use federal m210 primers I have used the match but don't see much difference. I haven't tried cci since I have a pretty solid load already.

·
Registered
211 Posts
As to the question who's reloading manual I prefer honrday's as they have a service rifle section as well as a bolt gun section for the .308/7.62. And they do list some differences is load data.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts