M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased the marlin 17vs. I havn't shot it yet but all ive been reading about are rave reviews on other sites. anybody else have a rifle in the .17 caliber and how do you like it?

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
I have a semi with carbon barrel made in Iowa and the name illudes me right now :oops: I dont shoot it much but my son loves it and when I have freinds over who shoot and bring their kids over I break it out and they just love it too.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My Dad's Ruger is suhweeet! He likes it so much he gave me his Garand so I'd keep my mitts off the Ruger .17

flcracker

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have Ruger lever action in 17HMR and its a hoot
It drills ground squirrels at 50 yards, which is about as far as I can see a ground squirrel :?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I traded a S&W .38 for a Savage stainless steel bull barrel one Sunday w/scope at the gun show.

Don't have a clue how it will shoot, but will let you know. That's if mom doesn't take it from me - she sure took a liking to it when I brought it home. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have shot my .17 several times at the range now. It is as accurate as everbody was saying. I mounted a Tasco Target/Varmint 2.5-10x42 and sighted it in at 50 yds. After getting it sighted in i was hitting almost the same hole every shot. Moved to 100 yds and was grouping in about a quarter size circle. The only problem i found was when the wind came up it really affected the bullet. It is a really fun rifle to shoot when my m1a is cooling down.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Whoa!! what a round

I went shooting with my buddies .17 too much fun!!! VERY flat shooting. We went hunting with it that same weekend and shot a 70lb Coyote ...dropped him in a heap!!
When we opened him up it looked like someone beat the insides with a ballpean hammer. BTW.. this .17 rnd is moving supersonic so when it hits a large target ie. Coyote it puts its nervous system into a "supersonic shutdown". If I could shoot deer with this thing I would but since it is rim fire that would be a No No.

Good Shooting
Doc

by the way doc whose "dear" are you thinking of shooting
LOL :D Ohhh Bite me smart alick LOL :D........Spell check sucks!!lol :lol:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Marlin SS - nice shooter but a bit long in barrell perhaps - by the way doc whose "dear" are you thinking of shooting - they can put you in jail for that. I know I will keep my dear wife away from you'all when you have your .17 in hand.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well I did get around to shooting it last month.

I think I'm hooked - at least on that Savage. Gusting winds (cross winds at that) and the dang thing still hit the bulls eye at 100 yards. Heck I can't do that with a 22 (okay I have a hard time doing that with any rifle outside of my Remington 700, or my Springfield 03 Mk I).

Besides, no recoil - that's nice for a female (even though I still consider it more of a practice rifle than a real one). It'll give me a way to practice more without worrying about bruising the shoulder so much.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have fired numerous weapons in my life time; But I have to tell you that the 17HMR is the one that brings me the most pleasure. Not just because of it's deadly accuracy, silence, and non existent recoil, but because JR doesn't have one ! 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't personally own a .17hummer, but (I guess it's been about a year ago) I had the opportunity to test fire CZ's offering that belonged to a guy at the range. He just handed me the rifle and two mags and said try it. So I sat down at the bench and got it rested right, aimed at the bottom of the target paper at 100yds, I put three rounds in the size of a Kennedy half dollar just at the top of the paper. The guy had it sighted in for something like 300yds or so.

Do I need one? Probably can't do anything with it that I can't do with a .22LR or .22Magnum or an air rifle. Is it a decent caliber to shoot and have fun with? I think so. Just wish the ammo was cheaper because Savage makes a .17 bolt action I'd otherwise like to have.

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
Van, now you just HAD to do that, didn't you? I'll post pics of my new Marlin, laminated stock,SS bull barrel, 9300 trigger equipped VS as soon as it comes in. As you so nicely checked out the Buchnell 3200 series, I guess I'm headed for a 4200! 8O

Mutter....mutter.....five hundred weapons, and the old guy HAS to have something I don't..........grumble. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
711 Posts
JR said:
Van, now you just HAD to do that, didn't you? I'll post pics of my new Marlin, laminated stock,SS bull barrel, 9300 trigger equipped VS as soon as it comes in. As you so nicely checked out the Buchnell 3200 series, I guess I'm headed for a 4200! 8O

Mutter....mutter.....five hundred weapons, and the old guy HAS to have something I don't..........grumble. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Check again buddy ! Mine is a 4200 ! :D :D :D and be sure to get one of these. ( 10 onces ) :D :D :D

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
I'm ordering one of the new 9300 series, with the new style trigger. OK, so you got a 4200? Guess I'm headed for Zeiss! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Geez, you guys!

I've been wanting a .17 for a while now, but couldn't really decide on which one. Well, now I've gone and done it again, ordered a Marlin 917vs
this morning from my local dealer, should be here next Tues. :D

Now to get a good scope for it. :wink:

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
I don't think so, aged one. The Missus might just have a little something to say about that. I've ALREADY ordered my set-up, what are YOU waiting for?

Just imagine, being able to say that you have the most expensive GERBIL shooting set-up in the world. Takes your breath away, doesn't it? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
your gonna love it

mike good call, i also have the marlin 17vs. it's great fun. i put the tasco
2.5-10x42mm target/varmint scope on it. im very happy with it. it makes me feel like such a good shot. i find buying ammo from surplus stores online seem to be the cheapest. have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.