M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has switched to USGI parts? I have a parts kit, couldn't afford at the moment to buy a reciever or bolt and get the barreled action put together. Thought about putting iton the current 239XXX springer. No problems to speak of with the rifle, maybe just keep the kit as back up, shoot the barrel out and then have them swiched when rebarreled?

Anyone switch to government parts not out of neccessity(sp?)?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely will keep it seeing is that if I sell it, I probably can't replace it. ( I feel the same about the rifle to behonest given the political climate.)
SA gas cylinder
SA op rod
GI flash suppressor
GI rear sight
SA trigger group (HR safety)
All the roll pins, op rod guide, and small parts to boot
Criterion barrel standard wt. 12:1 twist I believe it has 4 lands chrome lined
Saved up for a while to get the kit from treeline. It's stated to be all springfield (the GI parts)

I bought a bolt with it at the time, when treeline parts kits came with 7.62 bolts. Needless to saythe bolt had at the very least some bad cosmetic issues.

So I'm just missing the reciever and bolt to save up for. I just thought I'd ask who's done it and fish for info. Fit problems, does it look funny, can you tell a difference in this or that, or trigger pull?

Idon't make a lot, and saving up could take awhile

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely will keep it seeing is that if I sell it, I probably can't replace it. ( I feel the same about the rifle to behonest given the political climate.)
SA gas cylinder
SA op rod
GI flash suppressor
GI rear sight
SA trigger group (HR safety)
All the roll pins, op rod guide, and small parts to boot
Criterion barrel standard wt. 12:1 twist I believe it has 4 lands chrome lined
Saved up for a while to get the kit from treeline. It's stated to be all springfield (the GI parts)

I bought a bolt with it at the time, when treeline parts kits came with 7.62 bolts. Needless to saythe bolt had at the very least some bad cosmetic issues.

So I'm just missing the reciever and bolt to save up for. I just thought I'd ask who's done it and fish for info. Fit problems, does it look funny, can you tell a difference in this or that, or trigger pull?

Idon't make a lot, and saving up could take awhile

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Unless your cash strapped…it does not make sense to pass them along…prices on parts are not really going down. That could be a 3000 buck kit in 5 years.

I also would not go fixing stuff that does not break.

I had a bolt cough up everything at a match the other day. Culprit was a weak extractor spring. I have a few on hand and I made it to the match the following day.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I have an SAI standard that I bought new that was made in Dec 2012, it shoots great, never had any problems with it. I changed out the bolt parts, trigger group parts, flash suppressor, rear sight to GI parts, mostly as a way to learn about the rifle and to make it the most reliable that I could. I also changed to a Sadlak spring guide and Tubbs springs and a GI stock from Fred's. To get closer to an old school rifle and to try a forged reciever, I ordered a Springfield Armory parts kit from Windy City when he had them, I saw the writing on the wall and could see that parts were drying up, everywhere. When James River had a May sale on barreled Rock Ola recievers with a Bula bolt and the new Bula 22" barrel, I jumped on it. With the knowledge that I have gotten from members on the site and the book, Complete M14 Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee, putting together my first M14 clone was a very satisfying and enjoyable experience. I would not hesitate to build more M14 rifles, it is just that part kits have dried up. My Rock Ola functions flawlessly and shoots great.

My Rock at the range,

Reactions: XM25Ren
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.