M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, of all the G.I. stocks it's the most practical. Lightweight, non-reflective, and tough as an iron brick. I have two M1A's and one is in a fiberglass stock. It shoots 50% tighter groups with the fiberglass.

It's just, I can't get a "connection" with a plastic rifle. The gun just doesn't bond with me. Plus, the fiberglass stock doesn't look very good. Purely illogical and purely emotional, but there it is. So, that's why my other M1A has a wood stock on it.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
One of the best stocks available. Lightweight, sturdy, waterproof.

You can improve upon it by skim bedding the receiver, reinforcing the forearm with carbon fiber strips and opening up the front ferrule so it doesn't contact the gas cylinder.

The best part is that you can change seasons or terrain with a $5 can of Krylon.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I like mine, I reinforced the fore arm with fiberglass cloth and resin to stiffen it. Painted the stock and hand guard my favorite color, OD green. Looks good and no worries about swelling or warping.

I'm running fiberglass on my Springer Bush and Poly standard.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
very nice rifle! fake name saved me some typing. i have a match rifle with a mac stock being built so my other will remain in wood.

BTW, i like those usgi fiberglass stocks un-painted. mud brown

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I normally use my nice wood stocks when firing on a dedicated range. For field use I throw on one of my fiberglass stocks. Have several painted for different terrain from forest to desert to snow. Only perfect score I fired in the military was with an off the rack M14 with a fiberglass stock.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The usgi fiberglass stock is my favorite. My friend had one on his and I had a plastic one and his would shoot better and we would trade and his still would shoot better. Took me awhile to figure out why. The stock was what helping it. People swear by em and some say it doesn't help but I know first hand they rock. I currently have 4.....

Reactions: MARINES84-88

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
they are tough as nails but if you sling up hard they can flex a little in the fore end.

they take paint pretty good, but maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Here is one i put a jae gen one butt pad on. I going to duracoat it here next week.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have both a walnut and the glass stock it came with. Like some above me, the glass was light, great in the fight against weather and tough when it came to getting dinged around. But there was just something about it where it didn't "feel" right. The glass is fine in every respect, but just like fake name said, I couldn't get into it. I bought a nice walnut stock that from a fellow member here. After a quick strip and a new finish, it felt like a rifle again. It felt like I had owned it for years.

I think the only way I could put the glass back on is if I beefed up the fore end then had it painted.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I use a GI fiberglass on my Poly. It is bedded. I use the rig primarily for; dry firing, standing practice and rapid fire training. The stick is good enough to shoot inside the 7 inch 10 ring at 200 yards.

I've trying to wear out the Melonited parts in the rifle, and the chrome lined ChiCom barrel

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Mine was in a wood stock when I bought it in 1978. I carried it, practiced with it and hunted with it that way for years. I got a GI synthetic stock about 8 years ago and the wooden stock has been on a shelf in the attic every since.

Nothing fancy, just a GI stock with some krylon on it to help it blend in when its not in the case/safe.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
GI fiberglass is the only way I roll. Their not the sexiest but they are the most weather proof,durable and lightest weight
Yes, I'll go along with boomer's advice above; although I could fall in love with some of the nice tiger stripped wood stocks as see on the Forum here. We have a lot of rain/high humidity here, neither of which is good for wood, so my M1As sport the USGI FG stocks. dozier

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
One of the best stocks available. Lightweight, sturdy, waterproof.

You can improve upon it by skim bedding the receiver, reinforcing the forearm with carbon fiber strips and opening up the front ferrule so it doesn't contact the gas cylinder.

The best part is that you can change seasons or terrain with a $5 can of Krylon.
Do you KurtC or anyone have a "how To" on this? I just have the regular FG and it is a real pain to disassemble into the three main groups because trigger guard is so dang tight I have to lay it on the deck and use a screwdriver shaft acros it and pull back HARD with both hands to pull it loose.

Not exactly field expedient

1 - 20 of 47 Posts