M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of purchasing a used M1-A. But the reciever is only marked with 91043. The rest gun is TRW,barrel, bolt and trigger assembly. GI flash hider and even the stock is stamped. The gun comes with Brookfield mount. Seller is asking $ 1000.00 Any ideas. Thanks, Steven

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have tried to answer my own question. I went to Springfield Armory and purchased the book, The M14-Type Rifle A Shooters and Collectors Guide by Joe Poyer 2nd edition. It appears the rifle was made by the Chinese goverment in the 1960's for issue Chinese Special Forces, Viet Cong and Communist insurgents in the Phillippines. But where did all the TRW parts come from ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
From different's ultimate m1a book:
Early U. S. import Polytech Industries and Norinco manufacturer and model markings are marked on the receiver heel. Heel markings have been observed on Polytech Industries M14/S rifles with serial numbers as high as 028XX. Serial numbers of Chinese M14 rifles are usually stamped above the stock line on the scope mount side. A typical Chinese export M14 is Norinco serial number 9914. The serial number is stamped on the left hand side of the receiver and electro penciled on the left receiver leg. There are no other markings on the receiver. The importer markings, Century Arms in this case, are stamped on the barrel. A very few Norinco rifles imported into the United States have no manufacturer stamping whatsoever. Norinco M14 type rifle model numbers are M-14, M14 Sporter and M305. Some Norinco M14 type rifles have the marking CJA SFLD MICH on the side of the receiver. This marking has been found on Norinco M14 type rifles imported into both the United States and Canada. The Polytech Industries model number is denoted M14S or M14/S. Polytech Industries rifles have a better reputation for receiver surface machining and finish over the Norinco stamped rifles.
The following serial numbers have been observed on Norinco and Polytech Industries M14 type rifles in the United States:
Norinco M-14, M14 Sporter - 00006 to 960XX for Century Arms International imports with some receivers having a “C” prefix, e.g., C08610.
Polytech Industries M14/S, M14S - 00001 to 25XXX for KFS and CJA/IDE imports and C-1245 for Century Arms International imports
It would seem that your rifle is quite possible a chicom one - I know next to nothing on them, so hopefully someone else can chime in. But I do know that it is not uncommon for people to remove the chinese parts and put in all USGI parts for relablity purposes - the recievers are well liked by many since they are forged and inexpensive.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Widow Maker said:
The serial # is left hand side of the receiver. There are no markings on the heel. Different, is the receiver any good ?
Yes, it's a Chinese M14. The Polytech Industries did not have serial numbers that high so it's a Norinco. I know of NO American manufacturer who did not stamp at least something on the heel of their receiver. Even the MWG ASSAULT-1 unfinished receivers are stamped on the heel. Yes, the receiver is awesome. It is drop forged equivalent AISI 8620 alloy steel just like the USGI receivers. This has been verified by Ron Smith and Karl Maunz who both tested the receiver material independent of each other.

Somebody has already spent the money to put USGI parts on it. I give the buy signal. You won't find a better rack grade rifle today for that money. The Brookfield Precision Tool scope mount is a collector's item so it's worth $300.00 or more alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.