M14 Forum banner

Who made this bolt tool? (Pics included)

10511 Views 23 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Hummer
I just picked up this bolt tool from a surplus dealer in Kentucky. I think it’s styled after the GI bolt tool, but the condition leads me to believe it’s a reproduction. The seller never claimed it was GI and I didn’t buy it thinking it was, but I also wouldn’t think there was demand enough for someone to produce reproduction GI bolt tools. So where do you think this came from?

Reactions: budster
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
I was told by good authority the ones on GB are not USGI
The ones from the Kentucky seller or the others? I took my chances based on this thread, seller never offered it as GI. Asked about it being GI casually after I paid and was told it was. They said they got them in a batch of GI surplus. Its GI great, if not no huge loss at $50.

· Registered
5,833 Posts
I got one as well. I was told the same as you other fellas... "it is usgi"

It looks very close to my original from the 60's, but it is not exactly the same as mine. Mine has 3 spot welds on the end, the one I got from gunbroker only has 2.
My original 60's tool functions smoother and just feels better, but it has had 50 years to get broken in. My new one from gunbroker does appear to be well made and it functions like it should. I will leave my 1960's tool in the toolbox and take my new possibly repro tool instead if or when I have to take it to the range or a friend's house.

You guys remind me if I have not posted pics of my original next to the new one by this weekend. my camera is not here at the moment

· Registered
229 Posts
I have had the same tool for years. If you could find the original drawing for it, Julio Savioli's name is probably on it.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.