M14 Forum banner

Who made this bolt tool? (Pics included)

10492 23
I just picked up this bolt tool from a surplus dealer in Kentucky. I think it’s styled after the GI bolt tool, but the condition leads me to believe it’s a reproduction. The seller never claimed it was GI and I didn’t buy it thinking it was, but I also wouldn’t think there was demand enough for someone to produce reproduction GI bolt tools. So where do you think this came from?

Reactions: budster
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,032 Posts
It is a GI tool. There is no difference other than the newness between that tool and an original that I had back in the 70's. In fact I have compared it to the one I had. Only the lack of wear in the parkerizing was noticable. Probably made since the M14's came out of the armories and were issued to designated marksmen.

· Registered
1,102 Posts
I would like a report from someone as to how well it works - compared to an older original. For most of us, that would be the most important part.

It is made the same way as the originals. I wonder if the dimensions are in English or Metric units - might give a clue as to origin, and could be directly compared to an original. But if it works right, the price is not outrageous. CC

· Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
Why? I must have missed the drama. Again.
No, no drama. I read on another forum that he wanted too amend a post he made some time back, and for what ever reason he couldn't. I know with old posts they do expire meaning if its so old you cant edit, add or correct info.

But that doesn't mean you can't add a second post too the original with the correction or updated info... that is what I would have done.

· Registered
1,032 Posts
I would like a report from someone as to how well it works - compared to an older original. For most of us, that would be the most important part.

It is made the same way as the originals. I wonder if the dimensions are in English or Metric units - might give a clue as to origin, and could be directly compared to an original. But if it works right, the price is not outrageous. CC
If you had read my post above you would see that I had access to my old original that was well used and without finish. It is exactly the same, except for the new phosphate finish. It works exactly the same, which is better than any other bolt tool I ever tried. I also have a Brownells which broke on the second use to disassemble. Considering that most tools out there cost more and don't work as well, I think it's the one to own. When I saw it on gunbroker, I bought one. I also left a note on this forum that they were there. Apparently others bought them and I haven't heard of anyone who is disappointed.

· Registered
1,102 Posts
Thanks for the report. My curiosity was whether it could have been a really good knock off from WMI (Wayne Machine, Taiwan) or some other maker who just paid attention to detail. As an example, some of their recent production M2 Bipods are very close to GI and a little hard to tell if you are not very familiar with originals. I have seen more than a few reproduction parts before that have fooled experienced people - including me. I bought an M14E2 flash hider years ago that looked great - but was not GI.

From the photos, it is not quite as well finished as an old original I have in my toolbox, the "welds" seem a bit cruder, but certain things like the shape of the arm look very "right". But if it works the same, that's what matters for an end user. It would be very cool if someone got one "in the wrap" with a CAGE code and a modern date, confirming it as a reissued DMR piece, if true.

Nice to see newish, original M14 stuff on the market..... CC

· Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its a nice tool, works well, and the price was right. I suspect it might be a reproduction, but I having nothing to base this off of (except for the saying; "if its too good to be true..."). I would recommend this tool to anyone who's looking for a good inexpensive bolt tool.

CC- Can you post pictures of the original you have? It would be nice to have something to compare it against.

· Registered
353 Posts
I just picked one up off of GB at the starting price of $50. I spoke with them when I paid and they said they are GI surplus bulk packed in VCI paper, no tags. I tend to believe that they have no reason to be not believed as they are selling around commercial costs. She said they have 10 left.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.