M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2005, we were issued a few M14s per platoon (Army cavalry scouts). I used one for maybe half the deployment and carried it. I was mostly a HMMWV gunner so it was in the turret with me. Shot it on the range but never at somebody. Was really cool and this motivated me to build my first one (well, have LRB build it). Anyone else?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I never served, but I have a good friend who got deployed to Iraq and he sent me a photo of him in his hooch with an Arab scarf on his head, smoking a hookah... and carrying an M14 (with a big scope). He had a Polytech before he joined the army, so I imagine that was the toppermost of the poppermost for him.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
... I have a good friend who got deployed to Iraq and he sent me a photo of him in his hooch with an Arab scarf on his head, smoking a hookah... and carrying an M14 (with a big scope).
Here's a terrible photo of that photo... I obscured my buddy's face on purpose with the flash. Some of you may recognize the t-shirt if you've spent any time at Ft. Benning. It's from a local brew pub who's proprietor was a big supporter of the military.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I used an EMR in 2010-2011 and another scout sniper in my plt used the dmr. Mine was a H&R. They are still out there, I saw an EMR in an armory just a few months ago that looked like it hadn't ever been fired it was so nice.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Here's a terrible photo of that photo... I obscured my buddy's face on purpose with the flash. Some of you may recognize the t-shirt if you've spent any time at Ft. Benning. It's from a local brew pup who's proprietor was a big supporter of the military.

Buelligan,
If possible, can you post what scope and mount were on your buds m14?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
485 Posts
We had 5 M14s in our company in Iraq in 05 also.They were all National match rifles.I have no idea where they came from.I took them to the weapons Maintainance shop to be inspected.We were told we would have no parts and only 2 mags ea.We recieved 4 scopes and mounts.They were Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x50 mildot scopes.The mounts were Smith enterprises.We trained with LCLR ammo but could only get special ball in country.I gave one to ea Platoon and kept the one without the scope for myself.It was a TRW national match with a lightweight SAK barrel that would not pass the check where they rodded the barrel.It was too tight at the muzzle.I took it to the range anyway.Without a scope with LCLR it would shoot 1/2 to 3/4.I shot highpower for years so i knew what it should do.We used them as DMR rifles in the platoons.We had no formal training on the rifles except for Me being a highpower shooter for all those years.I issued them to the best shooters in each platoon according to their scores on IWQ.I always carried my M4 on my back as a back up.The Blackwater guys had a pile of mags so i traded for some and had my friend send me some form home as we both had M1As .It was a great privledge to carry the rifle in a combat zone.The young guys made fun of me for carrying that old relic as they called it.I would tell them they didnt know what they were talking about.I thought i would write some of this stuff down before i forget it.Feel free to pm any questions.1SG (ret) Blacknight 9 out.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
That was a great post...^^^.

I have a few army friends. This photo is from Afghanistan. My buddy is in the back holding an M4. He said his boss up front saw an M14 and insisted on holding it for the photograph. And he outranked everyone, so...

·
Registered
145 Posts
View attachment 101697
This is me in OIF III
At the time I had never seen or held an M14. My platoon Sergent said I was going to be a SDM, and so it was. One of the first things I did when I got back was buy a M14. I have since never looked back, and thanks to this fourm I continue to learn about this beloved rifle all the time. This fourm has been the single, best source of knowledge for me. I am very thankful for it and all the knowledgeble people on here. I wish I then what I know now. I would have taken ALOT more pictures and would be able to share exactly what manufacturer it was along with it components.

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
View attachment 101697
This is me in OIF III
At the time I had never seen or held an M14. My platoon Sergent said I was going to be a SDM, and so it was. One of the first things I did when I got back was buy a M14. I have since never looked back, and thanks to this fourm I continue to learn about this beloved rifle all the time. This fourm has been the single, best source of knowledge for me. I am very thankful for it and all the knowledgeble people on here. I wish I then what I know now. I would have taken ALOT more pictures and would be able to share exactly what manufacturer it was along with it components.
Hey - can you make me one of those custom Cheek Risers! I love it!

M1Army

Reactions: PHALANX

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well, I was in H "Hawk" troop 1st Cav at Fort Riley and the arms room received its m14. I was the troops Commo Guy and I walked into the arms room and low and behold there it was. The armorer was having problems dissembling the rifle. Told him to hand it too me and in a few seconds I had the trigger group, stock, oprod, and bolt out. I then proceeded to reassemble it and handed it back. So I had to show him again. I asked who's rifle is this. He said no ones. No one wanted it. I walked out and went straight to the XO and asked him who's rifle that m14 is. He said he does not know. I told him it's mine. He said we'll see. So a week later of me bugging him to death, he said headquarters platoon needed a DMR and said if I score expert at the range it's mine. We went to the range and I shot expert and got in line again and shot expert again to prove my point. I was assigned the rifle. We only had one magazine and I told him I would bring all of my mags and buy more if needed for a combat load. Well the story ends with after we had our CAV Ball my wife developed a severe problem with my 3 child pregnancy and she was told she and/or my son would die. My 1SG made sure I stayed home to help my wife. So I went back to the Commanding Generals Mounted Color Guard to ride horses and that is my extent of having a m14. The good news is I still have my wife and my son is now 11. Hurray

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.