M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it’s about time I get one of these K-31 rifles. I would like to know if anyone has any leads on them. If you have bought one (or more) who did you get it from and in what kind of condition and what price. I’m looking for one in as pristine condition as can be found including wood and metal finish. It is also my understanding that some of these rifles have walnut stocks; I think I would like to have one with a walnut stock but what are the other thoughts out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
120 Posts
Check shotgun news for a distributor.

A word- The walnut stocked guns are the older ones, and the birch stocks refinish beautifully. I would not suggest that you steer clear of the walnut stocked guns (all K31s will be in better shape than most surplus rifles) but you can find almost pristine birch stocked examples...the walnuts usually have a deal more wear and tear.

They are the best deal available in a surplus rifle, as relates to quality for your dollar. I love mine, even though I dont shoot it very often, and I will never part with it.

If you handload Graf has brass, and several firms sell dies.

Oh, to edit- a couple of other points. The Swiss GP-11 ammunition is excellent and non corrosive. It's also non reloadable. It comes in 60 round packages for about $30 a piece.

More importantly, accessories do enhance the value of the deal you find. Bayonets are seldom offered with the rifle, and sell for about $45-$60. Often the rifles come without slings, which are available- but....if you can find one with a sling that is just that much less expense. The magazines are expensive, and cost about $65-$75 (so dont loose the one you get with the rifle) They were meant to be reloaded by stripper clips, however the stripper clips are cardboard and metal fabrications, available to some extent for about $4-$6 a piece, and I cant help but wonder about thier durability. Lastly, the rifles often have a paper tag under the buttplate that tells which soldier the rifle was last issued to. These tags can contain alot of information, or only name and zip code. Check out the Swiss rifle forums, they have lots of info. I never got into it, I just appreciated mine for its extraordinary quality. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
K 31 update: Big 5 is selling them for $149 in my area with birch as of June 2 - most have slings - bottom of stock is a bit dinged on the ones I saw but a bit of TLC will fix that. All the bores I looked at were great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your still interested the latest issue catalog,#162, from Southern Ohio Guns has them listed as a August Sale item for $78.00 each, and you only need a C&R FFL to order them and have them delivered to your door.

That's how I got my 2 last year, both 30's vintage and cleaned up very nice, also shoot better than I can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.