M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for feedback from those who have attended an Appleseed event.

I recently attended a CMP clinic, and am looking for more instruction/experience before entering a Match.

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Casper

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Definitely go, it's a great way to learn the basics of position shooting. Of course, some ranges offer a high power clinic which would also get you up to speed quickly. Hell, even a friend who knows the ropes can help you out too. If you do go, go with an open mind and learn what they are trying to teach. After you get more experience, you will learn what works best for you and that can be used to augment the fundamentals they taught you.

If for no other reason, it's a fun weekend with 90% shooting, and 10% American history about what started the revolutionary war.

Reactions: NYCSTRIPES

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have, and was even an instructor with them at one point. It didn't matter if we had shooters with many years experience or first time shooters, everyone learned something. I'd recommend it as a shooter. Take in what they have to say, apply it, earn the patch, walk away. It may take you several weekends to earn the patch, that's normal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely go, it's a great way to learn the basics of position shooting. Of course, some ranges offer a high power clinic which would also get you up to speed quickly. Hell, even a friend who knows the ropes can help you out too. If you do go, go with an open mind and learn what they are trying to teach. After you get more experience, you will learn what works best for you and that cane be used to augment the fundamentals they taught you.

If for no other reason, it's a fun weekend with 90% shooting, and 10% American history about what started the revolutionary war.
What rifle did you shoot?
Casper

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I've done two Seeds and earned patches first day at both.
I shot them with my Marlin Model 60 and did my reloads with a Spee-D-Loader, rifle was setup with tech-sights and a USGI sling.

Just did an Appleseed KD Shoot.
That was challenging, did not earn a rocker for my patches, but am now confident and consistent shooting my M1A with iron sights out to 600 yards.

Will be attending another Seed with my 10 yr'ol son in October.
It'll be his first seed, but his second structured shooting clinic.
He'll shoot a Ruger 10/22 and I'll use my Model 60 yet again.

I've also shot a CMP Clinic shoot where you had a choice of 1903 Springfield or M1 Garand, that was loads of fun and challenging. pick up a rifle you've never shot before, sight it in and start competing with everyone else.
Great thing was, ammo was included in the shoot.

I'll say this.
I've learned something and became a better Rifleman at every CMP/RWVA shoot I've attended.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What rifle did you shoot?
Casper
The majority of the rifles I see are Ruger 10-22, with an occasional Marlin 795. I have seen Ar-15 types, Ak-47, M1 and M1a also used. I have seen bolt actions also, earning a patch with a bolt gun will take some effort (not that earning a patch with a self-loader is easy).

For learning the basics of steady hold factors and achieving natural point of aim (NPOA) a .22 rifle is all you need and it less expensive to feed as you will be shooting 400-500 rounds.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Appleseed is absolutely the best training for the money, for new adults as well as children. And the American History discussions during breaks are wonderful, too. It is modeled on two days of 1950's US Army Basic Shooting Instruction, and is well done, with excellent safety.

I would recommend it to anyone - at all levels. Bet you don't get your Rifleman patch the first time! CC

·
Super Moderator
2,246 Posts
Appleseed changed my life. I wouldn't be here if I had not had my eyes opened by the experience.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I did three before I got my rifle mans patch, in part because I shot my match AR which was a mistake.
Front post covered up the targets for the 400 yd. line (bottom row) and add my 60 y/o eyes I didn't make by 3-5 points the first two times.

Third time I shot and ACOG on an AR I have and got my rifleman's patch easily. Also better to shoot 22LR but I was stubborn and felt a "rifleman" should shoot a centerfire rifle to earn the patch :).
It's a lot of fun, good practice for match shooting, and fun history lesson.
John

·
Registered
179 Posts
Appleseed is probably as close to military style rifleman training most of us civvies are gonna experience. They hammer you about firearm safety, natural point of aim for 2 days. But i think i enjoyed the most was the civic lessons and our country's history, it is something we should learn.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Did my first Project Appleseed Shoot in April of this year.

Did my second in May and am already signed up for October.

Good times, great folks attending and GREAT volunteers hosting.

I had originally been taught/trained in CQB-type rifle shooting. This is the Army's six week program in two days - a whole different way geared toward longer range contacts.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Offer for the OP,
if you want I can send you some Appleseed AQT and Redcoat targets to practice on.
Post them at 25 yards, follow the string of fire and they're fun to shoot.

No charge, just send me a mailing address.

Reactions: Dougboffl

·
Registered
160 Posts
Me and my wife are both going to shoot in an Appleseed this Sept. Should be a fun couple of days.

Thinking of carrying the Ruger 10/22, but what do you guys who has shot before recommend?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Offer for the OP,
if you want I can send you some Appleseed AQT and Redcoat targets to practice on.
Post them at 25 yards, follow the string of fire and they're fun to shoot.

No charge, just send me a mailing address.

A most generous offer! Thank you. I will send a pm!

Casper

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Me and my wife are both going to shoot in an Appleseed this Sept. Should be a fun couple of days.

Thinking of carrying the Ruger 10/22, but what do you guys who has shot before recommend?
Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 795 dominate on the firing line.
Any mag-fed semi-auto rifle will work fine too.
Tube fed .22 rifles work too, but you will need a speed loader device, I shoot a Marlin Model 60 and use a Spee-D-Loader.

I cannot stress enough the value of good aperture sights, such as Tech - Sights, and a USGI web sling with 1.25" QD sling swivels.

Bring at least 500 rounds of ammo.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
A most generous offer! Thank you. I will send a pm!

Casper
I'll package them when I get home Friday, they'll ship Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
OP, if you have elbow pads, bring them. If you don't have any, buy some. You don't want to be in unnecessary pain and distress while on the firing line, that will hurt your scores.

Also, as others have recommended before, get into the different shooting positions before you go to the AS to get yourself comfortable and work on your NPOA. I did not do as people said and my sitting stage suffered terribly because of it. I don't shoot sitting very often (well never really) and when it came time for that stage, I was uncomfortable, didn't have a steady position, had trouble breathing, and that cost me some points. I bet if I had practiced that position more, I would have made Rifleman on the last day (scored a class best 209 that weekend).

Good luck and let us know how you did.

Reactions: TRAPPERXX

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Elbow pads are very nice to have, as is a shooting mat.
Midway USA has several house brand/models starting at +/- $30.
Ask your shoot boss via email if your shoot is going to have cover or not, if it is brutally hot or raining, your bringing a canopy of some sort could make or break your day.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.