M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting an A4 for awhile, and planning on buying myself one when my severance pay gets here in another month or so. But can't decide which route to go. My intention is to use it as a shooter, for both the range, hunting, and maybe competition down the road.

The way I see it, I have a few options:

1. Find a sporterized rifle that's been drilled for a scope mount for a decent price, spend the time assembling parts and building it.

2. Buy drill receiver from AIM, get it drill/tapped, and build the rifle from the ground up.

Hunting those parts down will be the PITA part.

3. Buy an A4gery from Creedmore (yes I know, recovered drill rifle receiver) and be pretty much good to go out of the box.

4. Keep searching gunbroker and forums for an actual A4, expecting to drop a pretty penny.
------------

As the plan is for a shooter and not a museum piece, I'm leaning toward either building myself or buying from Creedmore. I always enjoy a nice project, but have quite a few I haven't finished up yet either.

But at the same time, having a rifle that will continue to climb in value over the next few decades is always a good insurance policy. But not sure how much my use will effect actual value increase. Also, a lot harder to justify 3x or more the cost by the wife.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I built mine on a A3 that I bought for about $500 or so about 3 years ago. Price of scope and mount from Creedmoor was about $500 and then finding someone who would drill it about $80. By the way good luck in finding someone to do it, I only found one person in a 300 mile radius from where I live who would do it. The old A3 have a really hard Rockwell hardness and most places don't have the ability to do this anymore. I bought a bent bolt from Numrich for about $30 and just relieved the stock with a Dremel tool so it would close. So total investment was about $1100 but it is a tack driver. Shot in Sniper match in Racine WI and if I did my part nothing but 10's and X's .

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Option #1; LGS frequently have sporter Springers, I have found them with a cut down S stock but drilled and tapped. May be it has a bad sportier stock but fix up parts including stocks and all metal parts are available from several sources. I use SARCO a lot for rebuild parts. Be advised their type C "drop in stocks" are not! Expect to spend hours to get them right. This could the best way to achieve your project Dire. Good luck and let us see how it works out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have purchased from AIM the Gibbs M1903A4 (it is built using original Remington-made World War II M1903A3 actions and turned-down bolts, Criterion barrel, and C-Stocks). I have shot it and it will shoot 100's & 99's from 100 yds using SR21 targets.

Check out James River Armory...they had them, I've been told, for $995 at Camp Perry.
1903 A4
Restored by Rock Ridge Machine Works
•New American Walnut Stock
•New Criterion Barrel
•Original USGI internals
•Reproduction M 73G4 Hi Lux Scope

Not sure if they are really made by same people?????

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have purchased from AIM the Gibbs M1903A4 (it is built using original Remington-made World War II M1903A3 actions and turned-down bolts, Criterion barrel, and C-Stocks). I have shot it and it will shoot 100's & 99's from 100 yds using SR21 targets.

Check out James River Armory...they had them, I've been told, for $995 at Camp Perry.
1903 A4
Restored by Rock Ridge Machine Works
•New American Walnut Stock
•New Criterion Barrel
•Original USGI internals
•Reproduction M 73G4 Hi Lux Scope

Not sure if they are really made by same people?????
My understanding is Rock Ridge is the manufacturer for Creedmore, Gibbs, and James River's 1903s. And that all are from recovered drill rifles.

If that is the case, may have to call up JRA. Saving a couple hundred would be nice for my HXP stockpile.

Also, does anyone know if these come with padded trigger housings? (Real or repro)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Agree that a clone would be best on your wallet, and shoot well. A build with original parts would be expensive and have little collector value. Might as well lay out 4 K for an original which will appreciate value wise. Takes some studying to avoid fakes too.
I would buy a clone and shoot the hell out of it while looking. Nothing wrong with a drill receiver done right.
Anyway, enjoy the severance. Nice to have choices like yours!
Edit: Sarco and Numrich will send you Chinese junk now. GI parts are around but getting scarce and expensive.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
For what you are wanting to do, I agree that the clone is the way to go. I have seen folks shooting 2 of them in the vintage matches and they performed very well.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Oh man . . thanks fellas . . now you have me jonesing for another rifle . . ;)

·
Premium Member
18,819 Posts
I chose and A4 from James River a few years ago. Rock solid rifle. I shoot steel prairie dogs at 150 yds for practice. The nulux scope is just enough for my old eyes.
If may have been a recovered drill rifle, but it sure works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.