M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a synthetic stock for my M1A to replace the wood.
The problem is funds are very limited.
Can anyone suggest a good stock at an affordable price?

As inexpensive as possible.

Gerry

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
USGI fiberglass can be had on a budget, but other synthetics get into high $. CMP was selling the GI's for $35 ea. last I saw.

·
Registered
581 Posts
CMP if they have any left, and you qualify to buy from them or go to Fred's M14 stocks online. He usually has some real cheap USGI fiberglas stocks. You could also post on the forum for a stock in WTB.

John

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
which synthetic stock?

Are the GI Synthetic stocks an improvement in accuracy?

I want to switch from wood to get a consistantly smaller group.

Is GI a way to go?

Gerry

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,099 Posts
Stock Fit

A GI fiberglass stock may or may not result in improved accuracy. It all depends on how well the action fits the stock. Keep in mind that most commercial receivers are not exactly made to mil spec dimensions and may vary a lot in how they fit the stock. Even LRB receivers, which are closer in spec than any others, won't fit the same in different stocks and that applies to GI receivers as well.
You may have to try different stocks until you come up with one that gives the desired accuracy improvement. Wood stock that include a metal stock liner can be adjusted somewhat to improve accuracy and there is always the option of glass bedding.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Ted's certainly correct. I have 3 GI stocks, birch, walnut, fiberglass, and 2 commercial. My rifle fits in two really well with 1 inch groups a plenty. When I switch to the others up to 3 inch goups are about the best I can do. All the stocks are custom fitted and have a the NM mods except bedding. All stocks are not the same you just have to use trial and error sometimes to find the best one.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
I would like to get a synthetic stock for my M1A to replace the wood.
The problem is funds are very limited.
Can anyone suggest a good stock at an affordable price?

As inexpensive as possible.

Gerry
I purchased mine from a guy on EBAY and it was 60+ shipping.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which synthetic stock

Well, My aim is to get my groups down.
Any way I go is going to cost money.

I'm just looking to see whats affordable.
I guess if there is no guarantee of better groups, I'll have to do with what i have.

I know glass bedding is temporary in nature so I would like a synthetic stock.

Any ideas for cheap accuracy would be appreciated.

I do load for my M1A and have spent a lot of time on that.
Got decent results.
Gerry

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Go shoot a couple of Highpower matches with a nearby club or association. You'll run into a shooter or two or three who'd be glad to help you glass bed the stock you own. Done right, using the drill press and a router to prepare the wood, today's bedding compounds will tighten up your rifle and last a long time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you do decide to save up and maybe spend a little more, the new composite stocks SA Inc. is using are pretty decent. They are solid but light and if you send in your rifle, they will fit it to the stock. They are $245 with hardware and $230 without. That's a whole lot cheaper than a McMillans or Troy MCS (of course that's comparing apples and oranges). I just put a green OD one on my match rifle and I like it. The only bugaboo I've found which I have already called SA Inc. about is the upper storage hole in the butt stock. When I put in the multi-tool with the chamber brush nested in the multi-tool and put my oil and grease bottle behind it the multi-tool gets stuck. It appears the hole has a slight taper to it. I'm waiting to get a call back from the custom shop to determine if I can run a paddle drill bit in there and remove the taper. Then everything should fit fine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I picked up a Combat Exchange M14 fiberglas stock for $20 a few years ago, bought a pair of mid quality carbon fiber arrows from Wallyworld for I think $4 each, after measuring and some beveling at the ends plus a small amount of routering with a Dremel I used some small C clamps and some JB Steelweld I glued one on each side of the forened channel, of course I made sure the op rod cleared everything.

Made the front a LOT stiffer and after some bedding back at the receiver everything fell in nice and snug. I would not class it as being superior to a JAE or a Sage but it was cheap, after a coat of black wrinkle paint, (use a heat gun) and some spray "stone" paint in the checkering area and the refinish of the folding back plate, hinge and door it looks pretty good.

There was a posting in another thread about Promag coming out with a JAE "copy" stock for around $300.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i say get a cheap one with a lot of dings and then paint it. whenever i paint a stock it gets a tad tighter fit to my gun too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts