M14 Forum banner

Which sling?

4K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  cockednlocked 
#1 ·
Ive got a AR15 with a Magpul CTR stock and a quadrail handguard. I've looked at Magpul slings but can't figure out which one I need. I want a patrol sling to attach to the buttock and handguard and have the gun hang at my hip. Any idea what sling and attachments I need?

#2 ·
get a magpul hk sling plate and a magpul rail sling attachment. then the ms3 sling will work.

i like that better than using the buttstock.

otherwise get a qd sling attach for your rail and then two qd aling mounts

#4 ·
Get a proctor sling from bravo co. Had several different brands and the proctor is the best balance of light weight and an product that doesn't need a pound of attachment parts!

#7 ·
The Viking slings are very good but the padded slings are irritating because the padded section is too short. That was my experience in the boonies with an M249 and M60. You always inevitably need a longer padded section, but I think the manufacturer cuts corners too much.

#8 ·
The Larry Vickers two point with the slider tab that is instantly adjustable for length, yet holds like fixed, is my choice.

Single point slings as a very specialized device may work OK for Urban SWAT breaching teams, but carrying/walking with a gun with the barrel hanging between your legs and pointing at your toes whenever you are not holding it has no appeal to me. If you need a single point, you'll be at another level and know if you need it. CC

#9 ·
I'm using the Magpul MS2 and MS3 on my duty rifles and the Viking on my practice M&P 15-22.

Single points suck when you're moving but are nice when you need to transition. The change over from two point to single point is fast with practice.

#10 · (Edited)
I won't tolerate a rig hanging between my legs. Magpul MS3 single point/two point convertible sling with Noveske steel QD receiver end plate is adjusted to be carried on my right side with hand resting comfortably on the pistol grip to control muzzle/dampen movement. This allows transition without ever sweeping toes or other parts I am attached to. Are there other good sling systems? You bet so do your homework on each type before buying to help get it right the first time.

Edit: Pics usually help and to be more precise, the sling below is a Magpul MS3 GEN 2 single point/two point convertible.:

#11 ·
I won't tolerate a rig hanging between my legs. Magpul MS3 single point/two point convertible sling with Noveske steel QD receiver end plate is adjusted to be carried on my right side with hand resting comfortably on the pistol grip to control muzzle/dampen movement. This allows transition without ever sweeping toes or other parts I am attached to. Are there other good sling systems? You bet so do your homework.
Ditto per the leg banging. I use my support hand and sweep the rifle 180 degrees to my left side, freeing my right to draw my sidearm. Like all other moves, practice, practice and more practice makes perfect. There's no replacement for repetition. I also use visualization to practice my skillsets. I was taught that perfect mental repetition of actions is almost as good as the actual movement.

I still use my MS2 more than the MS3. I like the slicker fabric.

#13 · (Edited)
I picked up the MS4 sling.
The Magpul MOE rifle stock I am using has a total of 4 Q.D. socket holes (two on each sides). Q.D. sockets sold separately. I am using a Magpul RSA Q.D mount on the 6 O-clock rail at this time.

Still breaking it in, but I have no complaints right now.

Glenn

Edit;
A few more pics.

Converted to a single point.

Q.D. built into the metal ring. Also is non-rotational.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.