M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my M1A the clip guide was missing. I obtained another one and a poll pin kit. Unfortunately (or fortunately) there are a ton of different sizes and length pins. Which pin should I use for the clip guide?

Sorry for such a silly question but getting a pin in is usually easier than getting it out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
From TM 9-1005-223-34, the clip guide pin is figure 8, item 31, which is described as Pin, Spring: S, Phos-Ctd, 3/32 x 9/16

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! The length is what I was worried about. I have half a dozen that would fit but are different lengths.

I'm assuming that the best way is to hold it with some needle nose, lubricate it and just tap it in.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yep, that'll work. There are also available some special roll-pin inserter punches. I have a set for the AR15. They are basically a punch with a hole in the end. Insert the roll-pin in the punch then line it up with the hole, tap until started then finish driving with a hammer or solid punch

Before that I used the needle nose.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I did not buy the roll pin holders, but I did buy the roll pin punch set and a few starter "short" roll pin punches. It made my next job go much smoother resulting in more professional results, no peened pins and no slip-offs that can scratch things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts