M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been planning to scope my standard M1A for some time, and I have finally gotten around to getting some stuff ready for this. I have purchased Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm scope, a one of those adjustable cheek pieces from Springfield Armory, and a 4th generation steel scope mount from Springfield Armory (I hope these ones turn out to be better than the third generation ones I have been hearing about).

I am leaning toward getting some one inch Zeiss rings for my scope, but I am not sure about which ring height I should go with (I have never scoped a rifle before). I have been thinking of getting the rings at http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-zs-mt-vrings1in.html

I am leaning toward the standard option of high, but I really don't know much about this stuff. I am assuming that I should already have a fair deal of clearance, given that the Springfield scope mounts seem to have a fair deal of clearance (at least based on what pictures I have seen). Would high work, or should I go lower or even higher?

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
NoExpert, a member of this forum, has a nice little spreadsheet that can be used to determine the size rings that will work best for your setup. Send him a private message and he should be able to send you a copy. If you can't get him then PM me and I can send you a copy of the file that I have. I'm just not sure if I have the latest copy but then it shouldn't really matter, math is math.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I can send you the spreadsheet if you like, just let me know. If you have the scope and mount you can also stack coins evenly on the front and back of the mount then set the scope on them checking for clearance. When everything clears, just measure one of the stacks with a micrometer, that will tell you the lowest rings you can use. The SA Inc. Gen 4 mount is similar to Sadlak or SEI mounts so I'd like to think some low rings would work for you but that's pure speculation and also dependent upon the ring manufacturer and what they call "low". I don't know your budget or means but if you could afford them I'd recommend TPS TSR rings. I know they're about $70 from SWFA in 1 inch but they are very good quality. I don't think Tactical Store aka Optics Planet carries them.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I would wager a fair sum that low rings will work with almost any 1"tube scope with a SA or Sadlak mount unless it has a lit reticle. Lighted reticles usually have a much larger diameter eyepiece than standard scopes and sometimes require a higher ring just to clear the standard aperture sight on a M1A.

The lowest mount that I have found is the bassett standard low mount with 20moa of cant. I use medium rings with 30mm Leupold Mark 4 and it clears a standard aperture. With Bassett's picatinny rail mount in it's lowest configuration and a lighted reticle European Leupold 30mm with an oversized eyepiece I found that it would clear a standard aperture only with high rings. With a 1" tube I could clear the standard aperture with low rings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
May not help much, but on my setup:

-Bassett Picatinny (standard height)
-30mm tube
-Low rings

Everything clears just fine. Scope's comfortably reachable using a pad, and I can use the iron sights by snugging my head down pretty tight.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you have the mount and scope, then install the scope mount. Set the scope on top of the mount sitting on a stack of pennies taped together. Add pennies until the scope clears the sights/barrel. Then measure the stack of pennies. That will give you the height of your rings. Be aware that not all ring mfgs. use the same height for their rings.
( one may have .250" for low rings and another may be more.)
So you will have to check mfgs specs on their rings.

Mine...Bassett low picatinny/weaver scope mount
Leupold mk4 4.5x14 LR/T
Leupold PRW Med rings...(They don't offer low rings
for 30mm scopes in PRW.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts