M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a M14 built, which receiver do you all like?
Smith, LRB, had a SA but not going that way this time, and a Builder, Smith LBR, West texas Armory, are the one's I'm looking at so far.
This is for NM service rifle comp.
Thanks Keith.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who build your rifles? Smith is the only one who has called me back still waiting on the others.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Which Receiver is a Loaded (no pun intended) Question kind of like asking which Car Chevy Ford Toyota Nissan..
Let us Simplify this for you
How much are you willing to spend?
How long are you willing to wait?
Lrb High $ Long Wait Outstanding Product
7.62mm A little Less $ very quick to your Door Product gets better Daily
SAI you will have to have luck to find just a receiver most are very very good to go
Fulton Armory Even Less money a decent receiver no idea of wait time sometimes problems with there receiver
And there are Plenty of Qualified Builders here in this forum that will build your rifle and treat you well
there is a Stickie here someone may post

·
Registered
397 Posts
Add to CPW's list the soon to be released receivers from Smith Enterprise.

Life is good, no? So many choices, so little money.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brother you may one day look back and find yourself feeling like a genius if you go with 762MM.

A great company manufacturing high quality USGI receivers, parts and complete rifles. I just hung up with Chris, the owner and machinist (also a 15 year Marine and true American).

He appreciates this forum and is in it for the long run. Give him a call, you will not be disapointed in the receiver or a complete build. You can also still get in on the group buy. If you do this he will complete the build with all the parts needed and give you a great deal!

www.762MMfirearms.com or 440-655-8572 His cell

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thank you for the info, I want the best, I had one blow on me back in Oregon about 7-8 years ago.
I shoot best when I feel safe and the folks around me feel safe also.
I'm not familiar with smith and there Crazy horse? NM but he will build one with there Mid weight barrel and I supply Trigger Assembly, and bolt.
I just was fishing for more info on what you all are using now.
Thanks Keith.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brother you may one day look back and find yourself feeling like a genius if you go with 762MM.

A great company manufacturing high quality USGI receivers, parts and complete rifles. I just hung up with Chris, the owner and machinist (also a 15 year Marine and true American).

He appreciates this forum and is in it for the long run. Give him a call, you will not be disappointed in the receiver or a complete build. You can also still get in on the group buy. If you do this he will complete the build with all the parts needed and give you a great deal!

www.762MMfirearms.com or 440-655-8572 His cell
Thanks for the heads up! thanks for your service, I'm thinking of getting there Trigger assb, I will look and google more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
LRB makes some really nice stuff as most on here will tell you. However, you will wait 6 months for a rec. from them and will pay top dollar for their forged example. They have competion now with 7.62 in the running. I supplied the bolt, barrel and rest of the parts and they did a free assembly for me. Had the finished product in my hands in less than 6 weeks. Great group to work with and really fine product they ae producing. I highly recommend 7.62.DOORGNRWNG

·
Registered
135 Posts
LRB. Just do it. Did I say LRB, yea, LRB. I'm pretty sure you want an LRB receiver. GI6

My Second rifle is in process of being built, in a match configuration. Both rifles will be complete TRW guns based on LRB receivers. The first one is a Bush rifle. (18" bbl.) P_G

I have no complaints. Good hardware, just have patience. Good things come to those who wait, right.

Best of luck on your build.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I went with a 7.62MM barreled reciever from the group buy and sent them my CMP kit last week. So far they have been great to deal with, Ive talked to Chris twice. Cant wait to get my rifle!

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well tell why 762? and not smith, Is there something that is just not right smith? just playing devils evocate

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why not Smith?

Nothing is wrong with Smith, but currently their receivers are not available for purchase. Once they have them ready to market, I'm sure that they will be everything that people expect from SEI.

The point is, people are going to suggest the companies that they have had good luck with. SAI has its fans/proponents, LRB has theirs, as does Fulton, 7.62, SEI, etc. It's a good time to be shopping for a receiver because there are quite a few companies turning out a nice product.

As I stated in my pm, you really can't go wrong with any of these receivers. Any reputable armorer should be able to build you an excellent rifle no matter which of the receivers you supply them.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Well tell why 762? and not smith, Is there something that is just not right smith? just playing devils evocate
Playing the Devils Advocate around here can get some in hot water, and has in the past, especially with regard to Smith Enterprises, Maybe someone will link the thread about it recently.

Why 762MM and not Smith ? ...smiths doesn't exist yet and after all the hell 762mm had to go through to get where they are, I for one will ride Smith just as hard about their receivers. I take my life in my own hands when I fool with these things, and there is no margin for error, ...none.

Just because Smith had a good background and history of producing good stuff in the past, does not mean they will turn out the holy grail of receivers this time. When I have it in my hands and can go over it completely, like I did 762mm, then I'll let you know.........LRB,...well, I don't have much time left on this old world, and I cannot wait 6-12 months to get something, might be dead before it gets here, thats just they way it is.

SAI, ...you can go and get one right now and most likely ,never have another worry.....but do you want cast or forged,.... thats all. Nothing wrong with cast either.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I don't see the need for the lecture. Everyone here has qualified their statements. One has to balance their priorities. This to include, quality, price, and wait times. Some are willing to wait, while others are in a hurry. Preferences are and should be made based on those priorities.

The OP asked what we are all using and why. Looks to me like that is what he has received.

In my own case, I have always gotten the best that I could afford at the time. I've had 1, Smith Ltd., 3 Armscorps, 2 Springfield Inc, 1 LRB, 1Norinco and now a 7.62MM. I had also had a MKS on order, and managed to cancel that order and get a refund, just in time before their receivers were confiscated. Someday I will have another LRB, if and when I can afford it.

Some of us don't have the luxury of getting a LRB or a 7.62MM anytime we want.

For example: I had a Rem 870 threnchgun. It took me almost 3 yrs to gather what was necessary to make the build due to both finances and scarcity of parts. I did it though and enjoyed a sense of satisfaction that I had done it. I ended up selling it due to financial needs, but that's another story. I also had a project M79 that I was working on and was getting extremely close to finishing that project when I nedded to sell it. Was lucky at the time that I was able to trade it for a USGI Training 79 and some $$$. Had that for awhile and ended up selling that also.

What I'm trying to get across is the fact that this is the nature of the beast. We all have ups and downs financially. My best advise is to get the best that you can afford at the time, whether the wait might be 6 months or 6 weeks. The wait sometimes just makes the end result a little sweeter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went with LRB as the SEI receivers were unavailable.Built two on the Sage platform one in 18.5 and the other in 22 barrels. SEI put them together using USGI parts and SEI parts. The people at SEI were extremely nice and both of my rifles fit and finish were top knotch. At the range, my best 5 shot group at 400 yds has been 3.5" with the 22 and a little over 4.5" with the 18. Both rifles are scoped, 18" has a 2.5-10x32 and the 22" has a 3-15x50 both are NF. Range only goes to 400yds so I dont know what they will do beyond that distance. Have been using FED gold metal 168, am going to pick up some 175 and see how they like that. Cant wait till warmer weather.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts