M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I got some money burning a hole in my pocket. I'm considering getting a super match for $1900. I already have a standard model. Me being so indecisive, as you guys know, i've come to the group for advice.

Pro:
-It's the top of the line m1a, I won't ever catch myself thinking I should've bought a better model.
-I want it
-It'll stay in the safe until my skills warrant shooting a more accurate rifle.
-coolness factor
Con:
-Let the money sit around
-You're not even up to the capabilities of your standard model
-Just spend a little money on ammo and upgrading the parts on your standard model while you gain skill , when you've shot out the chrome lined barrel send it away to get turned into a match rifle.
-$1900!!!!!
-two m1a's? how many can you shoot at one time?

·
Registered
545 Posts
chickenfried
you have the pro's/con's mapped pretty well, did you think about going this route:
buy a rear lugged receiver, check with all the reputable M14 smiths(Smith Ent., West Texas Ord, Fulton) waiting periods and warranties are a biggy, and most will build it to your specs. Smith Enterprises has the best list I have seen for the build of an M14 type, and they will answer your questions and are very personable, and the quality is excellent as well, just like from WTO and Fulton.
Or you could do like I did with my first M1A I went with the "Loaded" option for the standard rifle. Its a good beginner starts you out some where between the standard M1A and the match model. The loaded models give you alot of options as well, and you'll have money left over for mags and ammo.
RRVI

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Howdy all,

Having 3 preban M1A's it seems I never get enough of them.

I've got 1 supermatch (Spfld receiver) which I built from receiver up (Krieger barrel and McMillan stock).

1 standard with all USGI SA parts on Spfld receiver.

Another standard which will soon be a bush folder.

You can always upgrade as you go.In most cases a match barrel and stock are the only parts you need along with bedding the stock.Match sights are also an option.Cost is about $500.00 Add $250.00 for McMillan stock and $150.00 for bedding.

As you can see it's much cheaper than buying another rifle.I would wait till a really good deal comes along for a 2nd rifle.I recently bought a preban standard for $800.00 (not to rub it in).

In the meantime you have 1 to shoot and hone your shooting skills.

warbird out

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
There's all kinds of little things you can do to accurize a M1A 1/4" at a time & some are really low cost.
If you have two M1As then you still have one to shoot if you send one off to have something done. That's a big reason to have two. I like tuning them in to fit me & my needs. That's why I now have a third.
HH

·
"Staff Alumni"
2,653 Posts
Chickenfried
It'll stay in the safe until my skills warrant shooting a more accurate rifle.
-coolness factor
8O Shoot and shoot some more. No need to keep her in the safe until you think you can shoot the rifles potential. I think most here probaly can say their M14s can shoot better than they can. I just had an LRB made up it will out shoot me but who cares. Just the enjoyment of shooting is enough for me and the possiblity of practice practice and more practice, maybe somday I will be able to shoot its full potential. I agree with the others here. Have a rifle built custom to your specs.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Chickenfried:

All of the above is GREAT advice. I like what Steve said too... if you got it take it out and shoot it! I think that is really good advice!

The only thing I could add to what the others have said, is that buying anything is most times dependent on your budget, needs and priority. A SM at $1900 will always be there (at least for a year to two) and you can get one for much less if you are patient and keep your eyes open. I purchased a post-ban SM with only one box of 20 through it from a fellow member (Crash700) and it came looking brand new, gauged new, was in a hard case, extra mags, and only $1600. I haven't looked back since!

Big decisions, huh? I don't envy you here... man, I toss and turn to no end until I usually decide one way or another on something.

But you have all of our best wishes! Good luck whichever way you decide.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Just bought some aussie and .45 ammo yesterday, that got rid of my spending itch. Another rifle can wait till tax return time. Just working all this overtime at work got me antsy to spend some money. If I get some match sights, how much do you think I can sell the old metric sights for? Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.