M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming money was not a determining factor (not the case,but lets just assume) what do you feel would be the perfect model night force scope to put on the following rifle.

LRB rear lugged M25 receiver bedded in McMillan stock with Kreiger DMR stainless barrel, unitized cylinder etc. by Ted Brown

Im not planning on shooting heavy bullets. I plan to stay with the 147 / 150 grain so as to prolong the life of my rifle. I also plan to be realistic about shot distance. If possible, I would like to shoot out to 500 yards. Thats a long distance where I live.

Also, what rings and ring height would be optimal. thanks

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I like their 2.5-10X32 model for the M14 platform. It's lightweight, compact and adequate for the job... of course that's everything my scope isn't. Personally I'd get the new IOR 2.5-10X42 FFP model over the NF but that's me.

As for rings... depends on the scope and the user. I went with the lowest rings I could initially, now I have a little higher rings but find them more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have three 5.5x22x56 in NPR2, One of them on a Bassett mount for the M1A. A little on the heavy side, but worth it. I like the MOA reticle. Since I am a high power shooter, it is easier for me to relate to MOA than switch to MilDot.

Here is how the NXS looks mounted on a Bassett high Picatinny mount. I could have used lower rings, but it is no problem shooting. Weld on the stock is more like the side of the chin than cheek. One benefit of the higher mounted scope, ejected brass do not hit the windage knob.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Im not planning on shooting heavy bullets. I plan to stay with the 147 / 150 grain so as to prolong the life of my rifle. I also plan to be realistic about shot distance. If possible, I would like to shoot out to 500 yards. Thats a long distance where I live.
The most accurate slug I've used on all my M1As and AR10s is the 175 Berger VLD loaded at mag length and coming out at 2650, pushed by IMR 4895, in once fired LC brass, ignited by CCI34. They will shoot extremely well and hell of a hunting slug. I don't think the 175 VLDs with their relatively short bearing surface will wear out your barrel any faster. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
558 Posts
NXS 2.5-10 x 32. Its plenty of scope for the 14....

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightfo...ompact2_5-10x32nxs_/compact2_5-10x32nxs_.html

I own a 5.5-22 x 56 NXS, but thats really for long range (like 1000+ yards) precision bolt guns, IMHO, and you have to contend with parallax problems more with it than the 2.5-10x32, and you can mount the 2.5-10x32 as low as the rings you get will allow you. Thats a problem with the 14, its mount sits fairly high making it too "top heavy" with large objective lensed scopes which require some sort of cheek rest. You will likely need a cheek rest in any case, but the smaller the better. A good cheek-weld matters a lot, especially with scoped shooting...

Overall, I think a dual purpose DMR/Battle Rifle, where the M14 is best suited, works best with manageable scopes (size-wise, parallax-problem-wise) like the NXS 2.5-10 x 32...

Just my .02...

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
You may want to hold off buying one until after the shot show. They are coming out with a new model similar to the nxs line but with front focal plane.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The most accurate slug I've used on all my M1As and AR10s is the 175 Berger VLD loaded at mag length and coming out at 2650, pushed by IMR 4895, in once fired LC brass, ignited by CCI34. They will shoot extremely well and hell of a hunting slug. I don't think the 175 VLDs with their relatively short bearing surface will wear out your barrel any faster. Just an opinion.
Bamban - If you get a chance try some Lapua 167 gr Scenars over a typical match load of 4895. Good stuff...

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
I'm holding out myself. It's going to have all the same features the nxs line has but ffp. I just happened to call them up recently and asked if they had any intentions of making one and that's what I was told.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You may want to hold off buying one until after the shot show. They are coming out with a new model similar to the nxs line but with front focal plane.
Not sure what the details of this are exactly, but they've had the 3.5-15 in front focal for quite a while now (it's their "F1" designation). They only have that one front focal plane model at the moment, however...

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
Roger that caffine! I'm looking for something a little higher power. The set up it's going on is an Lrb M25 heavy 1/10 cm Krieger barrel and a Mcmillan M3a adj stock. The F1 scope was what promted me to ask if they had anything on the drawing boards. Not sure how they are going to be priced yet but I would imagine they will be comprable to the nxs line maybe a tad bit more. I had a nxs 5.5x25x56 in my hand at the local shop and really liked it. I know that power may be considered overkill but it's what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Roger that caffine! I'm looking for something a little higher power. The set up it's going on is an Lrb M25 heavy 1/10 cm Krieger barrel and a Mcmillan M3a adj stock. The F1 scope was what promted me to ask if they had anything on the drawing boards. Not sure how they are going to be priced yet but I would imagine they will be comprable to the nxs line maybe a tad bit more. I had a nxs 5.5x25x56 in my hand at the local shop and really liked it. I know that power may be considered overkill but it's what I'm looking for.
They have a 5.5-25 power now? I own a 5.5-22x56 and it is a really nice scope. It definitely wont serve you poorly at all, even though I posted my thoughts earlier that it might be more scope than needed... Dont listen to me. I ate too much food today...

I tried out a 2.5-10x32 on a fellow shooter's 14 a couple weeks back and just thought it was perfect for the rifle in every respect. Really liked it..

My LRB is done and I should take receipt next week or the week after, whenever they get to function firing it.

So Ive had my mindset on getting the 2.5-10x32 for it. Been eyeing the S&B 3-12x50 Police Marksman as well, but OMG thats one pricey piece of glass!

But if NF is doing FFP stuff, dammit, now I have to wait and see...! I hate the shot show!!!! It screws up all my plans every year....

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
May I add, the 5.5x22x56 served me well shooting at full moon with no artificial light when rolled down to 5.5 and the reticle barely lit. I've killed some Coyotes on the white caliche topped runway on the ranch (not mine, a friend's) as they responded to the Foxpro. Used a Lightforce on moonless nights, again at 5.5

At 22 power it is kind of nice to have when banging steel at distances.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, great. A few questions:

1) Are these Night Force scopes all equiped with illuminated reticle? What batteries are used? How much run time on the batteries?

2) What is Front Focal Plane and how is it an improvement?

3) With so many different reticles to choose from, how does one go about narrowing the choices??

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
1)yes and I dint know.
2)allows ranging at any magnification.
3)personal choice. You have to look at them all see what each is designed for and pick one. I prefer a milling reticle.

·
Registered
558 Posts
OK, great. A few questions:

1) Are these Night Force scopes all equiped with illuminated reticle? What batteries are used? How much run time on the batteries?

Actually no. My 5.5x22-56 is not, but I could have gotten it with it. I didnt want it.

Continuously, probably get anywhere from 2-10 hours, continously lit, but you can control the brightness. Really low setting and it will run alot longer.

2) What is Front Focal Plane and how is it an improvement?

Like 82nd said, the reticle magnifies with the magnification, so you can range at any mag setting.

3) With so many different reticles to choose from, how does one go about narrowing the choices?

Different types of shooting. I have the NP-R1 which I prefer over standard mildots, becuase the dots can obstruct your view too much, but to be honest,I really dont range stuff as a necessity, just a nice to have and fun to practice. Most people, even todays snipers, use range finders more often than not. I think NF's velocity reticle would be a great choice, but that pretty much limits you to a specific velocity cartridge...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone know if the NXS 2.5-10 x 32 is available in FFP yet? Im about ready to purchase a scope for my M25. thanks

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
It is not, and doubt it will be. FFP is not great for lower magnification scopes because it's difficult to see the reticule when you dial the power down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts