M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to get a muzzle break for my bush rifle and was wondering which is the best?

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions. I chose the direct connect flash suppressor from SEI, couldn't be happier. They also make an excellent direct connect brake that you use the regular front sight. I like the hooded gas lock front sight better.

My Bush ended up at 39" long, a SOCOM is 37.25" long. If you like short this is the way to go.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm converting my Scout into a Bush rifle (removing the Scout mount and installing a vented USGI handguard) and I'm researching flash suppressors as well. I really like the idea of getting the rifle down to 39"! That would be a handy length for hunting in dense foliage! I will have to look into the SEI direct connect FS.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The "Search" function is your friend

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Our very own. P.E. Kelley posted a thread about the muzzle breaks he has made and used. It was a great thread.

I use, and like, the SEI Coast Guard Muzzle Breaks.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
i would like to get a muzzle break for my bush rifle and was wondering which is the best?
I've been very pleased with the SEI USCG brake too, though I've found the splines to be consistently somewhat loose in the barrel's grooves; peening the grooves fixed that. A close second is LRB's proprietary brake, which, being longer, also gives the rifle more of it's original profile.

But if I had it to do all over again, I'd go with the brake from the group buy 82nd ABN put together.

The one I have reduced recoil the most of any brake I've tried, is noticeably quieter than even a FS, let alone a brake, and seems to have improved accuracy, though I can't figure out why.

·
Registered
439 Posts
other options.

I know this isn't a muzzle break, but YHM makes a phantom flash suppressor for the 14. You can get one with the front sight or one without (if you had a gasblock front sight per say). I think they are discontinuing it though so you would probably have to move fast if you were interested. Here are some links:
-without front sight-
http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product378.html

-with front sight-
http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product377.html

Good luck with your purchase. DI2

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I need a few of those.

I've been very pleased with the SEI USCG brake too, though I've found the splines to be consistently somewhat loose in the barrel's grooves; peening the grooves fixed that. A close second is LRB's proprietary brake, which, being longer, also gives the rifle more of it's original profile.

But if I had it to do all over again, I'd go with the brake from the group buy 82nd ABN put together.

The one I have reduced recoil the most of any brake I've tried, is noticeably quieter than even a FS, let alone a brake, and seems to have improved accuracy, though I can't figure out why.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I'm really happy to get rid of loose splines, castle nut and set screw. With a direct connect you just screw it on and the muzzle blast keeps it tight.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
If we're really nice, and enough others are interested, perhaps he'll start another group buy.GI2
I'll keep my fingers crossed. Problem is they are SPENDY, and I have several rifles to stick them on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the responses, i really liked the se uscg muzzle break, but when i found out i can buy the m14 DC and not have to use the splines, castle nut or set screws that did it for me. hopefully it is as effective as the usgc. i looked at their website and it seems to me i also have to buy the GLFS-D-18 to attach the front sight to, do i understand this correctly?

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
thanks for the responses, i really liked the se uscg muzzle break, but when i found out i can buy the m14 DC and not have to use the splines, castle nut or set screws that did it for me. hopefully it is as effective as the usgc. i looked at their website and it seems to me i also have to buy the GLFS-D-18 to attach the front sight to, do i understand this correctly?
It sounds like you do. Be sure to tell them your barrel length so they can adjust the GLFS. I chose the hooded one but you can get one that uses the regular front sight also. They're good people, ask them any questions so all the parts are correct.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Ok you talked me into it. I'll talk to Hawk and see about reposting the buy. I knew they were good but had nothing to compare them to other than a FH and a SEI CGMB that never made it on the rifle. I like the clean lines of the direct connects as well but I think we have a winning combination with this JP/Delta thing. I thought it was pretty darn quiet as well but thought it was just me. I'm glad to see the reviews! Hope to see more members talk about them as they get installed.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
JP Rifles/Delta P Design Tactical Compensator Review

It occurs to me that my review of Warren's brake, which I posted on his group buy thread, might fit in here, too:

Test bed: SAI Super Match, Douglas SS barrel, USGI Synthetic stock opened up for rear lug.

Visually, the brake is a work of art. Finish is perfect, overall look is very intimidating. GI6 Installation was easy. Splines were snug in the barrel grooves but not tight enough to require a rubber mallet. No rotation of the brake is possible because of the snug spline fit but since the splines are round rather than elongated as on typical brakes or FS's, up-down and/or side to side movement is still possible. On my sample, the castle nut could only be inserted from one side. The back section of the brake where the muzzle inserts (i.e., forward of the window the castle nut fits into) has a shallow collar with a central depression. The collar is slightly larger in diameter than the muzzle on the Douglas barrel so some play is possible, raising some concerns that alignment could shift with use since the round splines can't contribute to overall alignment. Tests with an SAI alignment gauge show that with the brake pushed to the right on my barrel, the gauge comes pretty close to the front hole in the brake (but YMWV). The tip of the castle nut set screw is broader than the standard set screw so alignment of any given castle nut notch becomes more critical. I found the easiest method was to take the set screw out, turn the rifle over, and look through the hole to align the notch, then put the screw back in.

At the range, a bipod and rear bag were used from a bench with a 6-24X scope @ 100 yds. First, there was no indication of misalignment whatever. Second, there was a pronounced shift in POI from the zero used with the NM FS installed by SAI (4" down and 3" right). Third, there was practically no recoil, certainly less than an AR, which is saying something. Fourth, and this was quite a surprise, it was relatively quiet! The USCG brake tends to be very loud, and this seemed even quieter than the NM FS that preceded it. Finally, accuracy seemed to improve. While the fouling shots with PPU 145 gr FMJ didn't look all that great (about 3" for ten rounds), Radway Green delivered a bit over 2" for seven rounds, and Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr consistently made ragged holes with multiple rounds (e.g. 4 rounds clustered in 1/4" with the fifth about an inch away which was no doubt my fault). That ammo was factory seconds due to accuracy, so I expect Federal first quality will be capable of much better results than this shooter can deliver. Perhaps most surprising was Sellier & Bellot 147 gr FMJ, which put 5 rounds in a 1" square.

The Super Match didn't start to deliver its potential until SAI fixed the wandering op rod guide and then I put it in the USGI Synthetic. But today's results are the best it's ever delivered and I think at least part of that is due to 82nd ABN's brake! This is definitely a keeper!

Thank you Warren! GI2

·
Registered
45 Posts
Too bad I missed the last group buy. Would be very interested in getting one of these. I have the SEI USCG brake on one rifle, it does reduce the recoil but it is loud.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Dewey muzzle guide

Don't forget the custom made-to-spec Dewey muzzle guides!! They COMPLETE the brake. Icing on the cake...

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
I would prefer all questions regarding the group buy be directed to me via pm. I don't want to hijack the op thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts