M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a red dot for my rifle when a scope isn't needed/wanted. So far I like a few...

Hensoldt RSA-S
Trijicon RMR
AimPoint Micro T-1
Insight
Leupold DeltaPoint

I'm really like the Hensoldt with the solar power and battery power and adjusting to ambient light (can be overridden). I also like that the rail mount is built into it, seems more solid that way.

I'm not in a rush to run out and get one, probably be a while since I need to save up for it. Which one would you choose?

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
I have an EOTech XPS2-0 and while I like it, it won't co-witness even with my Ulitmak M8 rail on my SOCOM. I got a chance to try out a Aimpoint Micro yesterday and guess what...yup a true co-witness. The dot are rated at 1 MOA for the EOTech and about 4 MOA but I didn't see all that great of a difference between the two at 100 yards, at two hundred they showed their size difference pretty easily.

The Micro's dot didn't seem to move as much as the EOTech when you shifted your head around. The Aimpoint rep explained that there is a difference in how the optics project the dot and that the Aimpoint's movement is a result of the actual axial displacement of your eye, move you eye 5 mm and the dot will move 5 mm on the lens but that 5 mm is still a 5 mm shift at the target, the shift isn't an angular change that increase with the range to the target. In other words, the Aimpoint is truly parallax free, like other red dot's are advertised as being, but most red dots are not.

I was also impressed with the size and weight difference. The Aimpoint doesn't have all the electronics inside that the EOTech does...simpler is better they say. This equates to lighter and less prone to catch every little twig and projection that I walk by.

I know I plan on picking one up when I get the cash together. I'm not sure if I will just sell the EOTech or buy the Aimpoint in addition to it but I will be getting the Aimpoint.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey RAMMAC, quick question on your Ultimak, how high above the bore is the rail? Or even easier, how high above the receiver does the rail sit? I'm trying to see if if my Sage will co-witness or if my hooded front sight will be an issue.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
I laid a straight edge along the top of the rail and measured to the center of the bore and got approx. 0.623". I also measured from the top of the receiver ring to the top of the rail and got 0.078".

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate it, I'll have to measure mine to see where it lands. I have a feeling it's higher since it can take a medium weight barrel.

I like the AimPoint Micro T1, but something about the Hensoldt has really got me looking at it, I think it's the dual power setup. I'm in no rush to get one so plenty of time to sit and think about it.

The main contenders side by side:

Aimpoint Micro T1

Hensoldt RSA-S

·
Registered
122 Posts
My vote is aimpoint. I've seen some of my buddies just abuse the hell out of them and they keep on going

·
Registered
122 Posts
You could also get the aimpoint h-1 and save a few bucks. I believe the only difference from the t-1 is its not compatible with nvg's. Just another option, can't go wrong either way

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not too worried about the cost, I'm not one of the instant gratification sorts that seem so plentiful these days, I can wait and keep saving my money till I can afford what I want.

I get the feeling nobody has tried or handled the Hensoldt so all the votes are for the AimPoint. I'm not against either unit, just want to be sure if I spend $650 to $700 on one of these units it's really what I want and I'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another option could be the Insight MRDS with a 3.5 MOA Dot
That was one of the ones I've looked into. I'm just not in love with the design. That goes for all the MRD sights; Doctor, J-Point, Delta, RMR, etc. I like the enclosed design of the AimPoint and Hensoldt, just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, like it's an optic instead of HUD (I know, I'm weird).

Another key factor is the battery, my scope takes a CR2032 for the illumination module. This means I have spare CR2032's in my pouch. I'd like to keep things semi-standard, so I'd like to find a unit that also uses the CR2032. Both the AimPoint and Hensoldt use CR2032's. Just trying to make things simple for myself.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The AimPoint Micro T-1's go for $400ish? Where? I've seen them from high $500's to mid $600's.

Benefits of the Hensoldt to me (definitely not everyone):

dual power with solar and battery
dot automatically adjusts to ambient light and has a manual override
automatic shutoff after four hours
integrated mount with push button quick release

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The AimPoint Micro T-1's go for $400ish? Where? I've seen them from high $500's to mid $600's.
Look for an R-1. Same thing, silver finish, $200+ discount...

Benefits of the Hensoldt to me (definitely not everyone):

dual power with solar and battery
dot automatically adjusts to ambient light and has a manual override
automatic shutoff after four hours
integrated mount with push button quick release
I don't want to sound like an Aimpoint, and I'm just parroting what I've read over at M4C...

The solar/battery dual power and automatic shut-off is moot point, because Aimpoint's battery life is so good that most guys seem to just leave theirs on for several years at a time.

And don't the Aimpoint Micros come with a picatinny mount?

I don't know about the automatic adjustment to ambient light...

·
Registered
939 Posts
FWIW...

IMHO, auto-shutoff on a combat optic is a deal-breaker. Aimpoint's solution? Develop an optic that you can leave on for months at a time. It works. Throw it off a wall - works. Drive over it in a Jeep. Still works. Throw it out of a helicopter. Still works (but it might lose zero :))/

I've had one for a few years now. It has no competition in the RDS market, as it's head and shoulders (and YEARS of R&D) ahead of its next major competitor.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look for an R-1. Same thing, silver finish, $200+ discount...
Yeah... not going to happen, I'd rather get a T-1 first and not wish I got a T-1 later. I understand the T-1 is NV compatible which I'll probably get later. I understand it's the only AimPoint Micro that's NV compatible (otherwise why have an R-1, H-1 and T-1?).

I know AimPoints are tough, long lasting, etc... just weighing the pro's and con's for my personal use.

The AimPoints have a mount that uses an allen screw to hold them on the rail. Not totally against this, but not totally for it either. I know I could get a LaRue base for it, but LaRue mounts and rails with channels in the middle don't like each other.

Still looking at them and trying to decide which will suit my wants/needs best.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.