M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Retired
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a handgun for concealed carry now that Wisconsin has restored our Constitutional Right denied us for way too long.

My choices are down to either the Smith & Wesson M&P and the Springfield Armory XD sub-compact, both in 9mm. How do these two compare? Price is about the same, so that's not an issue.

One thing that might be a tie breaker is if the Smith is made in the USA compared to I think Croatia, or some southern European country...

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My personal experience with the M&P would lean me more towards the XD if that were my only option. I had a lemon of a M&P and it forever scarred the design in my eyes. That being said, I know lots of people that are very happy with the M&P's. The M&P is superior in ergos, most people find that they just fit their hand well and the easy interchangable palm swells really helps with this. All I can say is that as long as your M&P is a good one, you'll be happy. If not, the XD is a fine pistol with a pretty good reputation. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Are you searching now, or already own these two? Im someone that believes that all handgun design came to its pinnacle with the 1911, and ended with the HP. Im not a striker fired fan, owned them, just couldnt warm to them. Carry what you are comfortable with, and what you are trusting in. Make sure it operates reliably with the chosen ammunition, and, practice, practice, practice.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,027 Posts
Old Sarge,

Go with a Ed Brown Kobra Carry .45 1911. Great one to carry everyday.DI5

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Lurk around at www.elsiepeaforum.com where this subject has been beaten to death several times over. Just like every other thing involving guns, every person with an opinion has a different idea about what is "perfect".

Only advice I can give is what Grandma used to say: marry in haste, repent in leasure.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have the XD45. I have nothing bad to say about it. I've looked at S&W MP pistols. They don't suit me. With everything it is a personal choice. Either way they are both good pistols. I just like the XD better.

Of course I like the 1911 over anything else. However if you're ever thinking about one of those for duty or defence you've gotta be selective. I love my Colts, but they are not that great. For duty or personal defence it would be a Wilson, Nighthawk, or my Colts reworked by either for reliability and accuracy. A lot more money than most want to spend, when you can have anyone of these glock like pistols for a lot less, and walk anywhere knowing it isn't likely going to let you down at a critical moment.

A lot has to be said for a good revolver. They are really a reliable weapon, and formidable despite their draw backs in speed and capacity.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Like what everyone else is saying..... They're both great guns and there's no definitive answer, just an endless argument. Kind of like the argument between the M16 and the M14, but even though we all KNOW the M14 is better, there's always the "expert" that thinks he can prove otherwise and spark the argument back up again, and again.

It all just depends on what you prefer. I don't think you can go wrong with either, just get a little bit of fondling time with each one and make your own conclusion. If you're lucky like I am, find a friend or a shop near you that has one or the other and will let you get a little bit of range time. Just try them both and decide for yourself.

If it was up to me, it'd be the XD compact (4") or a small frame 1911 like the Colt Defender or the EMP in .9 or .40

·
Registered
76 Posts
Played with both of them. I'd go with the XD or XDM as they were the only pistols I've used/shot/looked at where the sites line up for me when you go to aim without having to tweak your wrist to align them. Just a natural point of aim for me. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Played with both of them. I'd go with the XD or XDM as they were the only pistols I've used/shot/looked at where the sites line up for me when you go to aim without having to tweak your wrist to align them. Just a natural point of aim for me. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

It's because the XD series has the 1911 grip angle. Natural pointability, (hope that's a word) and I love that.

Not sure if the M&P has that though. It was definitely one of the deciding factors when I bought my XD40 5".

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have an XDM 9 and have had no issues. Fits well, shoots great and holds a lot. I carry a Glock 30. I think if I were leaning towards getting an S&W striker I would just go with a Glock. I'm pretty sure that's where S&W got a lot of their ideas for a striker, so much so that Glock felt they had to sue them. As the story goes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't own either one of them, so can help you decide between the 2 you mentioned.

I carry a full sized 1911 in a milt sparks versa max 2 inside the waist band holster.

If it's going to be just between the Smith and the XD, get the one you would choose if you knew you were going to have to fight for your or your families life tonite.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have an XDM 9 and have had no issues. Fits well, shoots great and holds a lot. I carry a Glock 30. I think if I were leaning towards getting an S&W striker I would just go with a Glock. I'm pretty sure that's where S&W got a lot of their ideas for a striker, so much so that Glock felt they had to sue them. As the story goes.

Hey now, let's not get Glock involved in this! You're about to start a whole nother argument!

I'm trying to refrain from my rant about them atm, so lets not make me burst my bubble.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I'm a "what if it breaks and there's nobody but me and my spare parts to fix it" guy. That means a S&W revolver, a Glock or a 1911 of some flavor. I personally like either of your choices but for the gun you can ALWAYS have with you a J frame Smith revolver can't be beat....and parts are easily available even though I admit to never needing my stash of spares.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Kimber 1911 3" ultra carry .45acp. no nonsense protection, med.light, single stack. Easy to get leather for.

S&W M&P-C 40 or 9mm compact version of the M&P...finger rest makes it comfortable in the hand, and light all day carry. Fairly easy to get leather for.

Glock 19 9mm or 23 .40cal. light and comfortable, double stack, and they work. very easy to get leather for.

Kahr CW 9mm or .45acp. light, single stack, made in Ma. in the USA, nice. you will have to substitute leather for another pistol.

S&W Model 38, J-Frame with shrouded hammer, light weight version of the model 49, five rounds of .38+P, both no longer made, but light and classy. Or any other J-Frame.
never fails, and easy to get leather for.

HK-PSP or P7M8, squeeze cocker, 9mm, flat, a bit heavy, but very high on the cool factor. Hard to get leather for, but worth it.

Walther PPS, 9mm or 40 cal. very flat, single stack, very light and easy carry.
you will have to get a JIT slide holster for this pistol.

Springfield XD or XD-C, blocky, double stack, another striker fired pistol, they work.
fairly hard to get correct holster for. Check out the new XDM, updated version of the XD more rounds, better sights, better looking.

Beretta PX-4 or PX-4C, get the type F with the safety/decocker, 9mm or .40, double stack, nice looking, reliable, fairly hard to get a holster for.

Have fun...

·
Registered
939 Posts
My opinion: try a Glock 17 or 19. Add a decent set of sights (like Ameriglo Operators, for example), the Vickers/TD slide release, and the Vickers/TD mag release. Also, if you get a 19, add the entire Glock 17 trigger/trigger bar.

Gen 3 beats Gen 4 (at least right now). If S&W ever irons out their trigger, the M&P will be one serious contender. IMVHO, both of these shine over the Springer in terms of reliability, accuracy, and durability.

Leather: Raven Concealment System's Phantom OWB (Kydex)...best holster on the market right now - for a reason.

HTH, and good luck to you in your search!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Oh, it's more than that. Copyright or Patent infringement. Glock won the lawsuit and Smith has to pay Glock royalties on every Sigma sold. When I went to Glock Armorers Course a friend told me I would be able to tear down my Sigma SW357V in .357 Sig. I did and the only difference was the placement of the trigger spring. Glock's is at the rear of the trigger bar and the Sigma's is at the trigger.

Marty

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.