M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow M1A enthusiast,

I have owned a M1A scout squad in walnut for about a year. I'm interested in a SAGE EBR stock and want to know what the best options are for the scout squad model.

I would like something with a pistol grip as well as a nice bipod, and I don't need anything crazy as far as rails. Just somewhere to mount some glass.

Speaking of scopes, are there any options available that allow you to transition to iron sights without the removal of the scope?

·
Super Moderator
11,256 Posts
Well, your three options with pistol grips are the Blackfeather, the SAGE and the AG composites carbon fiber stock with AR buffer tube style buttstock.

The Blackfeather and the SAGE are the two aluminum chassis systems which will require some minor gunsmithing to fit the operating rod block onto.

The SAGE is the heavier of the two while the Blackfeather is lighter and retains the contours of the original M14 stock. Both can be made to shoot very well, in my experience.

As far as cheek weld, the Magpul CTR stock should allow you to adjust your cheek height for either scope or irons if you have a scope mount which allows you to see the iron sights below or through the mount.

A Bassett high picatinny mount will sit high enough to see iron sights below the mount. I've never owned a Sadlak but you should be able to see through the mount to use the iron sights.

How light do you want it to be and how far will you shoot?

Tony.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just finished an EBR (with AR buffer tube) project that fits your requirements. I went with a sadlak airborne scope mount, had the top rail of the EBR shaved to fit under the sadlak mount and used badger medium scope rings holding a 3x9 trijicon scope. The eye piece of that scope is thin enough to allow me to use iron sights if I remove the cheek riser. In fact, after sighting in the iron sights, then mounting the scope, I was able to use the iron sights to adjust the scope to be on paper with the first shot. My rifle weighs about 13.5 lbs with 16 inch barrel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like the Blackfeather RS a lot; however, it is not designed to be used with the M14 iron sights. Even with the standard butt stock adapter on the RS, the stock is too high to use the rear peep. Your results may vary, but those were mine. This may or may not be a consideration for you. Just passing it along FYI.

On the plus side, the Blackfeather works great with optics, as it is designed to do.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I went with a Sage Mod 0 style stock for my 18" Fulton setup. The primary decision point was that I wanted a solid, comfortable setup for use with a scope. I went back and forth between the Mod 0, Mod 1, and AG composites for awhile before deciding on the mod 0. I love it, especially all of the adjustments possible with the buttstock. If I was primarily using a red dot, I'd have probably gone with the mod 1 or AG setup.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Juice Since We / I am spending your money get this one. But not in Black. I had a Desert DFE thing going for a while but I am into Green again.
Oh Sorry! I meant Pick the color you want GI5

Reactions: thid92
1 - 8 of 8 Posts