M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just out of curiosity, can anybody tell which case was cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner only and which was tumbled after being cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner. The same case is on the left and right in all the pictures.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One to one so far, we need a tie breaker. DI5

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mostly what you guys are keying in on are shadows, to the naked eye there is little to no difference except that I had to spend about 15 minutes removing tumbler media from flash holes on the tumbled cases.

Both cases were cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner. Then one group was also cleaned in a tumbler with corn cob media. The cases that were tumbled don't really look any better, in fact, they look a little worse in real life because you can see the scratches from the media. Also, if I had just tumbled that one group of cases the insides of the case and the primer pocket wouldn't have been cleaned at all.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
...except that I had to spend about 15 minutes removing tumbler media from flash holes on the tumbled cases.
Question: Is media stuck in the flash hole a problem? I use crushed walnut media in my vibratory cleaner... occasionally a nugget will get stuck in the flash hole. I've never really given it any thought... I just assumed the primer would most vigorously pop it out on the way to lighting the fire...

But maybe I'm wrong? GI3

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question: Is media stuck in the flash hole a problem? I use crushed walnut media in my vibratory cleaner... occasionally a nugget will get stuck in the flash hole. I've never really given it any thought... I just assumed the primer would most vigorously pop it out on the way to lighting the fire...

But maybe I'm wrong? GI3
I have no proof that it's dangerous but I'm sure that it's not of any help for burn consistency. The powder is ignited through pressure and heat, not just flame and blocking the flash hole (even for an instant) will change the effect of the primer's ignition. I'm not an expert but I just don't want to take a chance on just what effect that would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts