M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been doing tons of research on a great all-rounder rifle and obviously landed at the M14. Being in Canada means I have access to some really great starter setups with the Chinese built M14 clones that, apparently, use the original M14 fabrication setups (sold to Asia after M14 left primary rifle status, from what I hear).

Anyways, while the rifle is great I am looking to do some upgrades over time and would love to hear from you more experienced folk as to your opinions on which specific products help fulfill my needs. I also welcome any other tales/info/reviews you guys would like to share.

The main things I'm looking at are:

1) A red dot/reflex/holo sight + optional magnifier system or scope (1-3x for the red dot, 1-? for the scope, i hear 9 is enough). As for price I'm thinking low-medium as I can pass on any lower tier stuff to my younger brother as soon as he gets his first rifle later this year while he saves up for something better.

2) I am hoping to find flip up irons to replace the base irons. Yes, i know this is likely heresy to many, but I feel that it makes for a better overall platform when using optics, which I plan to no matter what. This is pretty low on my priority overall unless the optimal optics option has terrible occlusion combined with the base irons.

3) I have no idea where to start on the "lining" for any case I would buy. I plan to use a case designed for bass guitar as it's the right size and has tons of space inside for accessories. What kind of material/stencils/specific glue etc did you guys use to make your own custom hard+locking cases? Basically I'm gonna do a DIY from the rectangular hard guitar case starting point.

4) To my fellow Canucks and others that know about the so called "loophole" mags; what are some good options? I know about being able to use "E-LANDER MAGAZINE FOR A1A RIFLES, .308 10-ROUND" mags in the Norinco M14/M305 rifle ( do you know if they'll also work in the other brands' versions? I assume so), is there any other great choices? I would like to have 4-5 mags with at least 10 capacity each eventually.

5) Anything other ideas for upgrades that you guys know of to improve the rifle would be great to hear about. I plan to make this thing into my hobby rifle since the base price is so inexpensive it leaves a lot of room for extra toys.

This is my first post here and I started an account just to get some expert feedback from you much more experienced folks. Thanks for taking a look and I hope this becomes a good place for discussion for this excellent rifle. Have a great one!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Their are only a couple of ways that I can think of to get a red dot low enough to use the irons and need a flip up site. If one is even available. One is the new SAI dedicated reflex site and mount. Don't think it is available for sale at this time as a stand alone item. And the other is the Ultimak M8 rail.

Nothing on this platform is cheap.

Reactions: MagnusM14

·
Forum Jester
7,228 Posts
Reactions: MagnusM14

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, the trs 25 is my frontrunner as of now. Was also looking at the holosun solar powered with the changing reticle options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far some great responses. After looking around a lot more I've started to trim down the options a bit. Looking at something like this for the barebones improvements so far.

M14/M1A LSP® (Long Sight Plane) hand guard/scope mount/accessory rail (for mounting optics)

http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_LONG_SIGHT_PLANE_HAND_GUARD_SCOPE_MOUNT.html

Magpul Industries MBUS Pro front and rear folding set ( non metal version possible for affordability)

https://www.magpul.com/products/firearms-accessories/mbus-sights

+

KNS precision inc front sight replacement, crosshairs, hooded, duplex ( or tactical [lower dot for quick adjust to elevation] )

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/iron-gun-sights/ar15-m16-ar10-sr25.html?p=3

(I gotta talk to kns and see if it'll fit both magpul models still, but i think it should)

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
When I think of a "stock" m14, a red dot of any kind wouldn't come to mind.

A stock setup would be a nice walnut or birch stock, USGI. Consider a trigger job by someone that knows the platform.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, but I'm talking about upgrading a "stock" M14, quotations due to not being original 20th century style.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm also in Canada and own both a 18.6" Norinco and a Springfield Armory National Match.

It seems like you want to do a lot of things to this rifle but none of what you mentioned wil make this rifle anymore accurate or easy to shoot.
Also mounting any optic to the rifle requires quite a cheek riser
You also mention AIA Enfield magazines.

Due to our Canadian magazine laws the AIA Enfield magazines are the only alternative to 5 round magazines. The AIA Enfield magazines do not have the notch at the rear which is what locks the magazine in place. These have been around for nearly 3 years with no complaints so they are good to go.

My opinion of optimal mods are slightly different than yours it seems.
Making the rifle more accurate and easy to shoot are what I consider optimal mods.

The first step for me is accurizing the rifle. There are many videos showing how to systematically go through the rifle and address all it's shortcomings.
The cheap and easy fixes include replacing the flat op rod spring guide with a round "National Match" style one.
M14.ca's Blackarrow is smaller in diameter than a US National Match due to the smaller diameter of the Norinco op rod spring.
The next thing to look at is if your op rod guide is sloppy and has any side to side motion.
If it does it can be removed and the area under then and can be knurled.
The cheap down and dirty method is to take a center punch and a small hammer and indent the barrel underneath where the op rod guide sits. This will tighten Up the op rod guide very well.
Untizing the gas cylinder and shimming the gas lock are the next 2 things to take care of.
I didn't shim my gas lock but surface ground it till it was finger tight at 4 O'clock.
Once all that is done I would get rid of the Norinco stock and go with either a walnut or USGI fiberglass stock and bed the rifle with either devcon or acraglas.

Add to that your optic and your rifle will be shooting much better than it was before.

I have tried scoping my Springfield National Match and my M305.
I get much more satisfaction from the National Match shooting it with irons than I do with a scope for some reason.
I shoot the M305 more with the scope since I installed a Tac Pro cheek riser.
If I were to do it again as far as adding an optic I would install it on an M14.ca CASM mount.
This is the best way to keep everything as close to the bore as possible.
Otherwise I would replace the Norinco rear sights with USGI ones and shoot the rifle as it was intended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

My opinion of optimal mods are slightly different than yours it seems.
Making the rifle more accurate and easy to shoot are what I consider optimal mods.

M14.ca's Blackarrow is smaller in diameter than a US National Match due to the smaller diameter of the Norinco op rod spring.
The next thing to look at is if your op rod guide is sloppy and has any side to side motion.

This is the best way to keep everything as close to the bore as possible.
Otherwise I would replace the Norinco rear sights with USGI ones and shoot the rifle as it was intended.

Well, my goal is definitely to make it easier to aim first, and then upgrade as I go where I find it needs improvements. I'm sure it'll be ok, but I definitely don't know everything to the point where I know where to start, lmao.

For example, the second part you mentioned, I don't really understand how that works. Are you saying that the blackarrow works better in the Norincos we get nowadays? If so that's great to know, seems like m14.ca is a good one stop shop for upgrades.

I hear what you're saying about trying to keep everything low. i definitely agree that you do want to allow your head to stay comfortable while aiming with a cheek weld instead of a chin weld, lol, but I think with the enhanced sighting options it's worth getting a riser on there. simple old school irons i find to be much trouble considering the other options that make target acquisition faster and non blurry, i would never sell the original sights and would def buy some match grade if I intended to do classic service rifle shooting as a sport.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts