M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys,
I've decided I need another .22 rifle. I have three .22 pistols (Two Ruger MkII's and a Buckmark) and two rifles (a CZ452 Varmint and a Marlin 25N). Anyway, I would like a fun, accurate plinker (well made of course) and here are my options....

1. Ruger 10/22 and then spend more money on a "buildup".....

2. Ruger 10/22T I know the barrel is upgraded, but are the internals better than a stock 10/22?

3. Thompson Center "Classic" or "Benchmark"

4. Marlin 39A (hence, my posting this in "Leverguns")

So which do y'all think is the best for the money?

Rich

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Marlin

I like the Marlins - I have one of the older straight grip carbines and love it - it will be something to pass on to the next generation, with pride.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Actually you left out my favorite .22. Have you considered the Henry Golden Boy? I bought one last spring and not only does it look really sharp but it's one of the most accurite .22s I've shot in a long time. Also you wont believe how smooth the action works. They run about $360.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Larry,
I've heard some conflicting stories on the Henry. I know they're accurate, but the frame is painted and it utilizes some plastic parts. I'm not too ken on that. I mean I know plastic is inevitalbe these days, but on a lever gun? That also sounds kind of expensive for a Henry though. I've seen the Marlins for $349 at Dicks's Sporting goods.

Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are you sure we're talking about the same model of Henry? I agree their base model is a painted type finish but the golden boy has a brass type frame(what the company calls" brass lite"). It may be an alloy or a plating but it's not a painted finish. The only plastic I can find is the barrel band and even it's not obvious until you touch it. The price is what they recently went up to in my neck of the woods. I got mine for $309. I do like the Marlin and it would have been the one I'd bought until the Golden Boy came out. Maybe you could go find one at a local gun shop to look over before making a final decision.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the Golden boy is some sort of plated finish. I do know for sure it's not brass though. I don't know how it holds up. I've heard Henry's customer service is great though.

Rich

WOOOHOOOOOO 100th post!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Marlin 39 ........or a nice Winchester 9422............A early style pump would be nice , gallery style ? , But... the Marlin does take down for travel and makes for a fine all around 22 rifle......................IMHO

·
Registered
177 Posts
The Marlins are fine and after several years I went and found one almost new in the box that didn't have the idiot switch in the frame to satisfie a lawyer . I probably won't sell this one , but then nice CZ bolt action is nice too .

Jack

·
Registered
90 Posts
i'm a huge fan of Marlin lever guns, but there is a lot to be said for a 10/22. cheap, fairly accurate, and infinitely customizable if that is someting you'd be interested in ;)

if your just looking for a plinker/squirrel getter, either would be great, but honestly, i think the Marlin would give many more years of great service.

probably didn't help much, but those two would be my personal choices.

chris

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is the last year of production for Win. 9422. I've heard more people opine that if you have a choice between a Henry and a Winchester, get the Winchester. I agree. As for Winchester vs. Marlin, to me, it's a Ford vs. Chevy type debate. I can tell you I beleive from the examples I've seen that the 9422 is smoother than the 39A, but then I also know a couple of guys who swear by their 39A's. I can tell you my experience is that 9422 has a nice trigger and no "idiot switch" (year, Jack, I'm agreeing with you :) ).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well,
I went to the shop and the Marlin was gone. So I remembered I had a gift card (left over from X-mas) at Wally World, so I got a 10/22.

Then I proceeded to trick it out.
Green Mountain 16" fluted bull barrel with fire sights
Volquartsen hammer
Weapon Kraft buffer
Auto slide release
extended mag release
Hogue overmolded stock
EOTech 512

It is now my "Ultimate Precision Plinker" 8)

Rich

I'm still lookin fer that Marlin though...

·
Registered
90 Posts
great set-up on that 10/22! :) i'm thinking you're gonna be uber-happy with that.

the Marlin won't be be QUITE the tack driver that the Ruger is, but for a fun little plinker/kids rifle, it will be hard to beat.

besides, no one ever said you were only limited to one ;)

chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.