M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a 1911 for about 30 yrs. I have very little experience with pistols and value the opinions of many people on this forum. My question is which 1911 and why. Personal preference is a reason why. Any responses are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Colt or #2 Springfield.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
as above, whats your budget? if i were only ever going to have 1, and didnt mind paying for it, i would have Ted Yost of Heirloom precision build me a complete pistol. in a mid range budget i would have no reservations about whichever Les Baer tickled my fancy. on the lower end of the spectrum, there's actually a good all around selection to be had. its all in the budget!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is a good idea. Buds sells a low end Tisa? they have sold thousands of them but I was leary of buying anything cheap

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Well please don't buy some low end problem 1911, if it doesn't work it will really turn you off to 1911's. Spend a little more money and get somethingwith a decent reputation.. A Springfield or one of the Ruger SR 1911 would make a good first 1911. Also for a first 1911 a straight up Colt Government Model is hard to beat.
If you do go low end then buy one of the Rock Island 1911 they do have a pretty good reputation.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
The rock island tactical gets you into the 1911 game for about 600 bucks. Extended beavertail, better sights, better trigger, it's a nice package.

I have very little experience with pistols
Does this mean you own a few but aren't a pistol guy or have never owned a semi-auto?

·
Registered
109 Posts
HGunner +1

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Gov't Model for sure.

·
Administrator
17,385 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
I went with couple Colts in 45acp (govt, Commander & CCO) and 10 mm, a SA Loaded 45 acp and DWs in 10 & 9mm

·
Registered
704 Posts
colt or springfield armory. ck the range officer from sai. first class 1911 for the money, not much more than a rock island tactical & a whole lot better weapon. hth.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Or.....

Build your own......not too difficult. This was my first. Started with a slide "unaccounted for" in the base armory. It was an original Colt. Weaps Ofc said I could have it instead of shipping off to CRANE (1989?). Bought a Caspian frame and then it was just search to see what parts I like and buy them. This is a "mutt"...Ed Brown, Wilson, Chip McCormick, Les Baer, original Bomar BMCS, etc...you can take your time and piece it together instead of buying a complete basic pistol and changing out parts later. I will confess I worked part time in a gun shop and was taken under the wing by some well respected retired Navy rifle/pistol team champs who owned the shop (RIP Ray and Bill)...but it is fun and rewarding to build your own. Even if you buy all the parts and have a smith fit them/build it......I recommend Gary Natale of Gans Guns....

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Will shoot a 1" group at 25YD all day.....on a Ransom Rest.....; )

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rock island tactical gets you into the 1911 game for about 600 bucks. Extended beavertail, better sights, better trigger, it's a nice package.

Does this mean you own a few but aren't a pistol guy or have never owned a semi-auto?
When I say little--I grew up in Montana so I currently only own 1 pistol but I grew up shooting them for fun, plinking at cans, varmits, you know standard stuff. I didn't appreciate the fine piece of machinery that some guns are. My budget is right around 900,
that way I will come in around 1200 by the time I pay tax, buy a set of dies, powder, primers, and enough bullets to get some loaded up.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
That's like saying I want a wrist watch , what should I get , a Rolex or Timex?

Need more info!

Ya got a bunch of people telling ya what THEY would get instead of asking, "what do you want it for?" , followed by "how much do you want to spend?"

Ya can spend anywhere from $350 to $3500 and buy the wrong gun.

Do you want a basic , nostalgic military clone that ya can still have fun plinking and informal target shooting as well as a home defense gun?

Do ya want a fashionable , 'tactical' combat creation with a bunch of bells and whistles which ya don't know what are for yet?

Do you want a 'safe queen' investment that ya can't never shoot at the risk of losing resale value?

Gun salesmen are like used car salesmen and forum friends will also help ya spend a lot of money on features ya might not need or want.

Handle a few at shops and shows. Try to shoot a few different ones if ya can.

Warning , 1911's are habit forming!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
When I say little--I grew up in Montana so I currently only own 1 pistol but I grew up shooting them for fun, plinking at cans, varmits, you know standard stuff. I didn't appreciate the fine piece of machinery that some guns are. My budget is right around 900,
that way I will come in around 1200 by the time I pay tax, buy a set of dies, powder, primers, and enough bullets to get some loaded up.
Build it yourself....spread out the cost and "budget" is a non-factor.....kind of...; )

1 - 20 of 67 Posts