M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Sorry, I didn't catch Acronym Al this morning and my DR is OTF so you're SOL. DI5 ...besides I don't shoot PPU or OTM, I don't like either one.

·
Administrator
18,143 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

I prefer the American Eagle 168 OTM made by Federal over Yugoslavian PPU 168 grain match ammunition.

Why, tighter groups at 100, 220 and 560 yard targets through my NM M1A. DI5

·
Registered
76 Posts
Which do you prefer, and why?
Thanks!
If those are the only two choices, then Federal OTM. I wouldn't waste money on PPU.

Out of a batch of 1,000 I purchased in two lots of 500 during the recent craziness, I rejected about 10% (or ~100) during inspection. Sizes ran from a low .3055 to a high of .3085. Weights were just as inconsistent.

Ended up trading them away and took a loss on the deal.

Went back to Sierra's and never regretted it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've had great luck with the PPU Match, just ordered a bunch more, on sale at Wideners.

Top group is 168 gr Match, bottom group is 175 gr Match.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sam I can vouch for the federal otm's. My m1a sure enjoys the way they punch the paper. As for the ppu's I have no expierence with them, but haven't heard anything negative against them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
PPU ball ammo (145gr) rounds are great general rounds, and will always go bang, they are slightly dirty, but if your asking for match ammo then forget it, you will hit a human sized target at 100 yards, even 300 yards, but you won't cloverleaf your target.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

This may not be a valid comparison, but for my M14s, the best performing so far is the Federal GMMG 168g. I'd recently purchased a couple of boxes of the PPU but in 30-06 and was absolutely amazed at how well it shot in my 1903-A4. I'm planing on getting some in 7.62 and hopefully it will do as well. FWIW.

Regards, Jim

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
The little that I have fired mil-surp,...I am with Cayenne on the PPU...I had good groups...good as mil-surp can get....better than the Federal for me really...but putting the groups aside and speaking only about the brass and reloading, I found the two to be very alike in characteristics. More precisely, the third loading had hardly any brass that needed just skimming to trim, and each successive loading, weights were pretty close of each brass and I am on the seventh loading on some. Yes, I check them very closely for problems when wading this deep. This is for both makers, and I was surprised mostly by the federal brass, from some stuff I had heard previously. Just goes to show you, believe nothing of what you hear, and half of what you see. Try it for yourself and find out, thats my motto.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I have been shooting some PPU 168 in 600 yard MRP, I think it does pretty good.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I just mounted a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 on my M21. Going to the range this weekend to sight it in. I'm taking 80 rounds of GMM, 80 rounds of M118, and 80 of the PPU 168 match. I want to see what holds the best group.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts