M14 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
4,039 Posts

"Dis Ain't No S...!!!" Back durin' da Great War, a Seaman Second-Class name of Willard Dilfarb from Fairberry, Nebraska was servin' aboard da Dreadnaught Battleship, USS Texas BB 35 which was servin' in da Grand Fleet, helpin' win da war. "Willy", as he was called, was a fine Blue-Jacket, servin' on da deck crew and standin' his watches like any patriotic sailor would. USNA

"Fair Winds & Following Seas"...a book about the USS Texas BB35 during WW1. My little brother found a copy & donated it to the ship in San Jacinto battleground. Was that story from that book? I never got to finish it.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
My grandfather called them seagoing bellhops. Must have been a WWII term as I never heard it used when I was in.
During the 60's, that dispassionate term was very much alive and well, . . . and could get a bar fight started just as quick as Jarhead, Squid, or other terms of less endearment.

But the big argument between Navy and Marines was that the USMC was just a little arm of the big Navy, . . . anyone wanting to get a new USMC's goat told him to turn over his little green ID card and see who issued it: dept of the Navy.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
66 Posts
During the 60's, that dispassionate term was very much alive and well, . . . and could get a bar fight started just as quick as Jarhead, Squid, or other terms of less endearment.

But the big argument between Navy and Marines was that the USMC was just a little arm of the big Navy, . . . anyone wanting to get a new USMC's goat told him to turn over his little green ID card and see who issued it: dept of the Navy.

May God bless,
Dwight
God bless me, that takes me back! S#it, oh dear. The Geedunk were the vending machines on base. What irritated me no end was running the Coffee Mess and being called The Geedunk. I told the pilots, "I'm not a mechanical change-maker! You can kick the machine!" USN2

They got over it.

When Sailors and Marines went to Seattle together and youreally wanted to start a brawl, let one of the Airmen from McChord AFB pick a fight with a either a Sailor or Marine... Katie, bar the door! The Department of the Navy (both the Navy and Marines) would turn on the Air Force. The results were not pretty!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
It's not a bomber jacket, it's a flight jacket - still have mine ! In the early days of naval aviation, the pilots were issued brown boots, thus the distinction. The "black shoes" were the surface navy ( just imagine an intra-service rivalry within the same service !). For years, there was a faction that insisted that the "real Navy" was the surface navy ....... but the battleships are all gone, while the carriers are still out there.NAV1
Do you know why they wore brown shoes?

They when better with this uniform:

(No, Mel Ferrer is not supposed to be a Marine.)

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Do you know why they wore brown shoes?

They when better with this uniform:

(No, Mel Ferrer is not supposed to be a Marine.)

I think that's Jose and not Mel, but back in the old day's Navy Aviation/Sea Bee's and Corpsmen was allowed too wear green dress without the Marine Insignia. Did you notice the wings?..... Today and too the best of my knowledge only the Corpsmen have kept the tradition but they have too submit too USMC regs after completion of FMF school, when there assigned independent duty too the Marines.

I'm just a Bubble Head, what do I know about the other Navy....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think that's Jose and not Mel, but back in the old day's Navy Aviation/Sea Bee's and Corpsmen was allowed too wear green dress without the Marine Insignia. Did you notice the wings?..... Today and too the best of my knowledge only the Corpsmen have kept the tradition but they have too submit too USMC regs after completion of FMF school, when there assigned independent duty too the Marines.

I never saw a Navy Aviator in "dress greens". AFAIK, they didn't exist. Of course, that was forty years ago. USN3

·
Registered
66 Posts
My grandfather called them seagoing bellhops. Must have been a WWII term as I never heard it used when I was in.
40 years ago, there were plenty of smart-mouthed Marines that shot off their pie-holes with that smarmy epithet. We responded by calling them Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, but I would never engage in such jejune banter today. USN2

Just kidding! We were all paid by the Department of the Navy!

God bless all of our men in uniform. Those that serve and those that have served this great nation.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
An ARMY pogey bait story. December, 1982 the 101st Airborne (Air Assault) underwent a two week Field Exercise that included EVERYBODY in the Division not on leave, TDY, in hospital, ETS/PCS before Dec. 31st or light duty profiles. Even the garrison troops had to do a week in the field.
A directive came down from the CG that absolutely no pogey bait of any shape, form or fashion would be allowed during the exercise. On the day starting the exercise, our Company did a full inspection of our rucks, canteens, ammo pouches, BDU pockets and anything else that could carry even a pack of gum. Anyone caught with pogey bait was threatened with Article 15s, but I never heard of any given out.
Unfortunately, no one thought of checking our shops. We were an Aviation Support unit directly supporting 2/17 Cav out of Sabre Army Helofield located off post on the reservation. The Armament Platoon/Shop we did Intermediate Level work on the new AH-1S (Modernized) Cobras including guns, rockets, missiles and related systems. We also supported the M-2/-60 door guns systems on the Blackhawks, Chinooks and Kiowas. As direct support we went with the Cavalry whenever, wherever and whatever they did or went. So we were issued two SPAMs: Shop, Portable, Aircraft Maintenance. They are (were?) folding, air transportable shops that contained our tools, parts, test systems and most anything else we needed to work on the systems. They had AC/Heaters and a small refrigerator. They were combined with a generator so we be self-sufficient in the field. They also had work stations with drawers and cabinets that provided excellent hiding areas for some of the Non-USGI gear and items we "needed" in the field. As they were transported by flatbed instead of helicopter, they didn't need to be inspected and balanced for air transport so as all good soldiers do we packed them full of pogey bait.
Wait, it gets better! The exercise was held on the old Sewart AFB in Symyrna, TN which was then a Tennessee Army/Air National Guard base. The ground was wet from a week of off and on rain, so when we tried to unload the SPAMs where directed they started sinking deeply into the soft, loamy ground. After about 30 minutes of disCUSSing with higher-ups where we were going to put the SPAMs that wouldn't require digging them out to use, a Command Desicion was made where we moved them about 500 yards into a parking lot! We moved and set them up to include driving pegs into the asphalt for the camouflage netting (yes we had to camo two SPAMs and a generator in the middle of a parking lot!), hooked up the generator and opened for business. As we had nothing to do as the company camp was about a half klick away in the woods and the Platoon Leader and Sergeant were there for a breifing., we decided to explore the two barracks and small building across the parking lot. To our great enjoyment the barracks were open, unoccupied, heat was on, water was running (HOT!!!) and the bunks had mattresses, sheets and blankets folded at the foots! Seems the NG CO decided to have them available in case the forecasted snow and ice storms arrived and it got too cold for the troops in the field! Gotta love the Guard, they were worried about us. We then went over to the other building only to find it was the PX Shopette for the base!!! All our careful planning, sneeking around, hiding and camouflaging of our pogey stash was for nothing as we has access to all the pogey bait we wanted 40 feet away...even BEER! AND NOBODY IN THE COMPANY OR BATTALION KNEW ABOUT IT!!! Well, our Platoon Sergeant found out, but after a hot shower, a hot breakfast of fried ham & eggs, grits and biscuits washed down with an ice cold brew he "forgot" about everything. Poor guy. We never saw our 2LT. Fresh out of West Point, he stayed at the Company CP all the time. Seeing his performance during Land Navigation, we decided that he either didn't know or care where we were, or he couldn't find his way to our location.
For the 13 days we were there, we had warm, soft beds, hot water showers, color cable TV in the dayroom, fresh hot cooked food (we snuck two hotplates in the SPAMs), unlimited pogey bait, cigarettes and ICE COLD BEER! Guys, I must confess that the time we spent in the field that cold, wet snowy December winter was miserable! We even had to do three repair jobs. Totally overworked, underpaid and roughing it in the field! We were never so glad to get back home after it was finally over! GI1 GI2

·
Registered
4,202 Posts

No belt, those aren't the same cut as USMC greens, also not quite the same color green. The green aviation uniform is optional as of 2007, I don't know if it still authorized.

A little history on the Navy working uniforms.

The US Navy didn't drop the high-collar blue undress jacket:

for the blue double breasted jacket until after WW1. In 1917, Naval aviation adopted green single breasted jackets as working uniforms as more practical for wear while engaged in flying the high collared jacket. At some point the submarine community adopted a similar tan (or khaki to some) uniform. In 1941 the rest of the Navy picked up the tan single breasted uniform as a working uniform. For a short time (1943-49) it was grey, There was a white version of the tan working uniform, but apparently was not very popular.

And, for some reason the brown shoes were abolished in 1976, but were brought back in 1985...

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
No belt, those aren't the same cut as USMC greens, also not quite the same color green. The green aviation uniform is optional as of 2007, I don't know if it still authorized
I only saw it worn by E7 and above when I was in "A" School....never saw it when stationed on West Coast and never when stationed on East Coast...

But back to Geedunk......when working Mids on one Westpac (CV64 Connie) it became a ritual to hit the geedunk (always a Slice soda and a 3 Musketeers for me) and then disappear in the day check berthing lounge...watching movies under the red lantern...keeping a eye/ear out for our LPO...and escaping if need be out the other side of the berthing and hauling six down the passageway jumping knee nockers all the way back to the Ordie Shack...not easy when you are 6'4" and 200 plus pounds..good times.....

.....until the Geedunk shutdown from 2300 to 0600.....we were forced to eat mid rats at the forward mess deck....I got used to and actually became fond of chili-mac on top of pancakes..."not"....Mids was a good gig until the Geedunk shut down over night....; )

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't care where the Gee-Dunk got it's moniker Swabbie, Jest tell me where it is!

Swab jockies always make up a long windy story to get out of swabbing, chipping and painting, and bailing water out of their floating crap game boat!

Marines fight like crazy when we hit good solid ground after being penned up with them swab jockies wearing little white dixie cups on their knobs.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Geedunk - I Did Not Know This

I just used the term "geedunk" on a post and realized I had no idea what the word meant. Probably old news for marines and sailors, but it's new news to me. Surely this has been posted before, but I've never seen it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedunk_bar

A Gedunk bar or geedunk bar is the canteen or snack bar of a large vessel of the United States Navy or the United States Coast Guard. The term in this sense was first recorded in Leatherneck Magazine in 1931. A service member who works in the geedunk is traditionally referred to only as that "geedunk guy" or "geedunk girl", or more informally as a "geedunkaroo." The term was popular during World War II.

The origin of the word is uncertain. One theory suggests the name is derived from the "gee-dunk" sound that vending machines made when operated.[citation needed] Another theory is that the term is derived from the comic strip Harold Teen, in which Harold eats Gedunk sundaes at the local soda shop. Yet another theory suggests that the word's origin is from a Chinese word meaning "place of idleness."

The gedunk bar was usually open for longer hours than the mess. Such bars were stocked with a wide variety of consumables such as snacks, soft drinks and fresh coffee. In the 21st century, Sailors and Marines continue to call a place where snacks are for sale a "gedunk bar" or "gedunk machine" and refer to the snacks themselves as "gedunk".

During the Vietnam War all who served honorably in the Armed Forces were awarded the National Defense Service Medal. Because the medal was issued regardless of any service beyond making it through bootcamp, it was called a "Gedunk medal".

And there you have it, geedunkaroos!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I'm friends with a retired Gunny, so I know what pogey bait, shellback, pollywog, and bad gouge means. I've had many toasts on the Marine Corps birthday, but never on Gunny's birthday because he doesn't give a crap about his.

Going shooting with Gunny this weekend, as a matter of fact.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.