M14 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where and when did the term "Geedunk" originate?
Regale us landlubbers with the scoop, please.

·
Registered
196 Posts
offa Navy Trivial facts

So obviously your not a USMC taxi driver[sorry squids ;) ]

GEEDUNK - To most sailors the word geedunk means ice cream, candy, potato chips and other assorted snacks, or even the place where they can be purchased. No one, however, knows for certain where the term originated, but there are several plausible theories:

1.) In the 1920's a comic strip character named Harold Teen and his friends spent a great amount of time at Pop's candy store. The store's owner called it The Geedunk for reasons never explained.

2.) The Chinese word meaning a place of idleness sounds something like gee dung.

3.) Geedunk is the sound made by a vending machine when it dispenses a soft drink in a cup.

4.) It may be derived from the German word tunk meaning to dip or sop either in gravy or coffee. Dunking was a common practice in days when bread, not always obtained fresh, needed a bit of tunking to soften it. The ge is a German unaccented prefix denoting repetition. In time it may have changed from getunk to geedunk. Whatever theory we use to explain geedunk's origin, it doesn't alter the fact that Navy people are glad it all got started.

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, was just wondering.

Nope. No squid or jarhead here.
ARMY1 Missileman, through and through.

Nuke 'em till they glow.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
First of all - Youse ground-grippin', roll in the mud types ain't got no class wiff yur absolute lack a knowin' about the real heroes of the armed services - the United States "By-Gawd" Navy!!!

Does we "he-man" Sailors try ta tell ya about how to dig yur cute little holes in the ground and how ta run around shootin' off yur itty-bitty rifles? Nah - we got some class and don' youse fergit it!!! NAV1

Ahem - now pay some attention, youse left-handed swab-handles and I'll tell ya about the Geedunk and why we have one. :ARM11: :ARM11: :ARM28:

70% of the Earth is covered by water - in order for youse turd-kickers to get to where yur going - we have to control the oceans and the air above the oceans. That's where the Navy comes in. We don't just have all those big ships - wiff all da big guns, missles, and airplanes to give our favorite grunts - da United States Marine (over da water - get it???) Corps a ride. GI1

We haff ta give em a ride to where they need ta go, protect em until they hit the beach, soften things up fer em a bit sometimes , blast big holes in things fer em and provide em air cover when they're out there runnin' around so's they can go in and beat da crap outta da bad guys. Ain't nobody does that any better than our own favorite ground-grippers - the USMC... MCORPS1

When we're done - and things are all safe and sound, we can let da rest of youse guys show up ta build nice air-conditioned barracks and air strips and stuff so's ya won't haff worry 'bout makin' yourselves all comfy wiff da bad guys still shootin' at ya too much. :ARM22: :ARM11: :ARM11:

NOW - to da Geedunk... POPCORN1

When us Squids and Jarheads is all worn out from Wind, Wave, Shot and Shell - we needs a place ta go "unlax" a little.

An' seein's how we have all them big ships, we decided that since we gotta go in first and do da "hard part", we's might as might as well have a place ta buy a few snacks and goodies dat we don't have whilst we're out there winnin' da battles and spreadin' peace and goodwill throughout da places da bad-guys hang out. 3SOME

"Dis Ain't No S...!!!" Back durin' da Great War, a Seaman Second-Class name of Willard Dilfarb from Fairberry, Nebraska was servin' aboard da Dreadnaught Battleship, USS Texas BB 35 which was servin' in da Grand Fleet, helpin' win da war. "Willy", as he was called, was a fine Blue-Jacket, servin' on da deck crew and standin' his watches like any patriotic sailor would. USNA

Unfortunately, it was pretty cold in them lookout stations off da coast of Norway and Willy wuz addicted to dem "sinkers an mud" and all he could think of wuz Momma's fresh, HOT, home-made goodies when he was supposed ta be lookin' for da Kaiser's bad guys.

One dark, cold night, during da "Dog-Watch", da OOD called him on da sound-powered phones ta see if he wuz still keepin' a sharp look-out and wasn't froze ta death in the sub-zero weather. Willy's sound-powered phone was messin' up pretty bad. When da OOD said "Bow Look-out Report", our hero was day-dreamin' about his Momma's home baking. Near froze to death, Willy blurted out: "G-G-Gee Boy - Dunkin' them donuts in Momma's kitchen is da best thing in da world." GI8 GI8 GI8

'Cuz da phone wasn't workin' so good, all da OOD heard was "Geedunk is da best thing in da world."

Da OOD wrote it down in da log just like he heard it. YIKES1

Well now, da next mornin' when the skipper, Old "Iron-pants" McSkeevy read da log, he called da OOD outa bed ta put the blast on him for messin' up da log. When da OOD, a young LTJG named, Harley Dilbert, told him 'bout how cold it was and da phone problem, old "Iron Pants" got ta thinkin' and sent Dilbert to get Willy an' have him to report to da Captain's Cabin - "on the double." USN3 USN3 USN3

All da way to see da skipper, Willy was shakin' in his boots and not from da cold. Ya see, dis was still the old "Rock and Shoals" Navy where a skipper could have ya flogged, keel-hauled or hung from the yardarm for not doin' yur duty. USN4

Old "Iron Pants" fixed our poor Willy with an intense glare and demanded ta know what could have possibly possessed him to make the report to da OOD like he did!!!

Willy knew then that it wuz only a matter of time before the skipper lowered the boom on him, so he decided ta be straight up wiff da "Old Man". He stood a little straighter and taller than he had when he entered da cabin, looked old "Iron Pants" straight in da eye - and dis is what he said....

"Skipper, I've been as good a sailor as I can be. I done my duty and didn't complain about it. Last night, we was making 12 knots into a 25 knot head wind and da wind chill musta been aroun' 40 below. Da only thing dat was keepin' me from freezin' ta death was the thought of dunkin' my Momma's fresh donuts in hot coffee, sittin' right there in da warm kitchen of our house back in Nebraska. I must'a been freezin' up a little cuz I swear I could still smell dat wonderful smell of home."

Old "Iron Pant's" lips started ta quiver a bit and a tear appeared in his eye.

"Captain - I knows youse can keel-haul me or "two-block" from a yard-arm, but I did da best that I could, SIR!!!"

Captain McSkeevy was a hard man, but a fair man and he also had a Momma dat would make him goodies when he done good, so he decided he couldn't fault old Willy too much.

Instead'a punishin' Willy, he sent him back to his rack and ordered that donuts and coffee (along with other goodies) be made available to watch-standers aboard the Texas at any hour of da day or night.

After da war, "Iron Pants" got promoted and ordered that each one of the ships under his command would have a place to give watch-standers some "relief and respite" from the discomfort of havin' to stand watches in all kinds of wind, weather and wave... USNA USNA USN2 AND because he was getting tired of his sailors and marines havin' ta win all the wars single-handed... USNA MCORPS1

Da place needed a name and remembering Willy and the log entry - he decided to call it a GEEDUNK!!! USN3 USNA USN2

One thing led to another and finally da Navy ended up, both aboard ship and ashore, with places that sell goodies ta those well-deserving heroes that are still keepin' America safe and strong... :ARM34:

As for Willy, when da war was over, in true Navy tradition, he started walkin' home wiff a lifeboat oar over his shoulder. Somewhere in da plains, a guy stopped him and asked: "Whatcha got over yer shoulder, Mister." Willy smiled, put down da oar and bought him a farm and married a local girl who would make him donuts and coffee on cold, winter days.

Now - That's the way it happened that da U.S. "By-Gawd" Navy and da Marine Corps have a thing called a GEEDUNK!!! USA2 USA2 USA2

NAV1 NAV1 NAV1 NAV1 NAV1 MC1 MC1 MC1 MC1 MC1

db

·
Registered
196 Posts
Clang Clang

SWEEPER SWEEPER MAN YOUR BROOMS SWAB ALL DECKS FORE AND AFT
PORT TO STARBOARD SWEEPER SWEEPER

HEHEHE new I'd get som'in started,,GREAT Story,,had forgot it an ole Chief once told me kinda same story

I did put a caution out

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GI8 GI6 Tanx duckbuck! I knowed dere was sumkinda swabbie tradition dere. Tanks fer settin it strate.
GI2

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
You're welcome, Susti!!! Jus' tryin' ta help youse ground-grippers out a little. GI6

By da way - an I hates ta mention it - did anybody ever mention that youse types a little funny??? :ARM11: :ARM11: :ARM11:

db

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
I bet it came from Manfred Mann's song "do wa ditty, ditty, dum ditty doo" GI2

It might have come from Duty Bag

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Joker18 said:
Uh-oh now someone is gonna ask where "ditty bag" came from! GI7
Here is a widely used definition of a Navy "Ditty Bag" - I used mine to store my Pogey Bait from the Geedunk. GI8 GI6 GI7

DITTY BAG - Ditty bag (or box) was originally called ditto bag because it contained at least two of everything: two needles, two spools of thread, two buttons, etc. With the passing of years, the "ditto" was dropped in favor of ditty and remains so today. Before WWII, the Navy issued ditty boxes made of wood and styled after foot lockers These carried the personal gear and some clothes of the sailor. Today the ditty bag is still issued to recruits and contains a sewing kit, toiletry articles and personal items such as writing paper and pens.
Wow - that's probably more than anyone wanted to know... GI6

db

·
Registered
145 Posts
Geedunk is pogey bait! Man we used to stuff our ruck sack with that stuff!

TFox, my little jarhead, came home with a "Ditty Bag". Just a bag full with stuff! And duffle bags, whoops, sea bags! Just made me smile!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Navy...... Navy........... Oh yeah, I remember now-- Those are the guys the COAST GUARD had to evacuate from Antarctica when it was getting too cold for their itty bitty sensibilities.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow Duckbuck, nice treatise on geedunk!

Never heard of pogey bait, but I was in the 1980's/1990s USN. Of course we had ditty bags, and I never questioned their origin. I recall my CC saying "Git yuah ditty bags in orda or", well I forgot the threat that followed, but rest assured it involved hundreds of pushups in the shower with the hot water blasting, in dungarees, sweaters and peacoats. This was in July in Sandy Eggo btw...

How'd the USN get stuck in Antarctica? Geesh, I was on a BB. We woulda just powered through the ice. lol

K

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
USN used to man all the Antarctica stations. Coast Guard had all the icebreakers so was sent to break a channel for resupply vessels. Towards end of the austral summer (Feb or so) the bases not manned year round were evacuated. CG did much of that. That was 'back then'. I don't know how it's done nowadays.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.