M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I buy the muzzle brake castle nut set screw? I really don't want to have to order one if I can help it. I know it is 6x40 thread but all I can find locally is 6x40 3/16's set screws, and these are not as long as the OE set screw nor do they have the taper that fits into the castle nut gap. Does anyone have the exact size? Thanks!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found a local supplier who has 3/8" 6x40 set screws. I should be able to just file that taper on the end & run a die down it to clean up the threads and be back in business. I really don't have time to order one if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Claude at RA parts. Great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Found a local supplier who has 3/8" 6x40 set screws. I should be able to just file that taper on the end & run a die down it to clean up the threads and be back in business. I really don't have time to order one if I can avoid it.
Yes, fastener Shops(Nut and Bolt) places, and the larger hardware shops will have the item. Chuck it in a hand drill and use the file to take off a thread or two on the end. Works like a lathe. dozier

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, fastener Shops(Nut and Bolt) places, and the larger hardware shops will have the item. Chuck it in a hand drill and use the file to take off a thread or two on the end. Works like a lathe. dozier
Good idea on the drill trick, thanks Dozier!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're going to a big Fastenal type supplier or even Grainger's check on a "dog point" set screw. Seems I've seen them there and even with brass or nylon tips. Doubt they'll have them in less than 100 unit boxes though. Never know.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I'm getting confused now...are we mixing MM with inches ?

3/8" 6x40 set screws ?

I just went through 519 pages of set screws, and 66 pages of dog point screws at fastenal home site....no such animal listed...would some care to translate or post a link to the proper screw for us illiterate folks on metric conversions ?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

3/8" 6x40 set screws ?

I just went through 519 pages of set screws, and 66 pages of dog point screws at fastenal home site....no such animal listed...would some care to translate or post a link to the proper screw for us illiterate folks on metric conversions ?
6x40 is the thread pitch i just measured the length of the screw with a tape

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts

3/8" 6x40 set screws ?

3/8" long
#6 size machine screw (0.138" dia)
40 threads per inch

I keep a healthy stainless steel machine screw stock from McMaster Carr from all the tube amps I build. Extra handy to have what you need, plus stainless hardware is way too expensive at Lowe's or the Depot.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
D'OH......thanks Bricktop, you would think I could recognize his terminology from being a general contractor for 32 years.....went right over my head. As usual, I was trying to make it harder than it is.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,116 Posts
Minor Point

They are not 3/8" long. They are 1/4" long.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Maybe try a local machine shop.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
They are not 3/8" long. They are 1/4" long.
Ohh, thats just great Ted, I just ordered 100 through Fastenal local retailer, special order. I guess now it's time to break out the old grinder huh ?.....Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to leave a little sticking out the front. Just wouldn't have that clean smooth look with it a little countersunk...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Just a touch with the Dremmel before seating completely will work. At least it has for me a number of times GI2

·
Registered
109 Posts
where to find castle nut set screw?

Mine is right behind the suppressor at the end of the barrel!

GI1(hehe)GI1
**{Sorry, it's been raining here for weeks. Cabin fever****

1 - 19 of 19 Posts