M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,108 Posts
Folding stocks

These stocks were originally made by Reese Surplus for Springfield Armory's Bush rifle and commercial sales. Some were used by the Navy Seals.

They are no longer in production because the BM59 parts used have dried up. RSI did produce a few with a butt portion of their own design that worked well, but I don't think they are available either.

These stocks do come up at gun shows and auctions from time to time. They usually sell in the $700 range.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I picked up a BM59 folder on Ebay about a year ago for less than $250, then I had to switch out the wood so it would fit a M14. Reese Surplus still had the wood portion cut for the M14, they sell it for $100, I think they still have the pistol grips too.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
This is the RSI butt. It doesn't have the linkage but works perfect.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Folding stocks.

I have four of that type folding stock in the collection, so far.
2 of the early ones with the Bm59 stocks, and two with the later Reese surplus stocks. As for everything that I collect they are not for sale.
Next summer (July 23,24,25) I will be displaying M-14 stuff at the MVACA Gun show in Kansas City. Maybe even two tables. The M21 will be featured.
Also AN/PAS4, AN/PVS1, AN/PVS2, AN/PVS3, and Several "ART" scopes. I will have a folding stock there as a example as well.
http://www.mvacagunshow.com/mvasum01.html

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I had two of the Reese ones, one for the Garand and one for the M1A. Got rid of the one for the M1A because I can't use it here in the People's Demokratic Republik of Kalifornia. Putting one on an M1A turns it into an evil assault weapon.
Both stocks did/do have an small issue. Without the extra linkage of the Italian design, the folding butt plate will sometimes collapse/fold on it its own.
Reese supplied an extra strength spring to stop this, but while it reduced the occurances, they still happened from time to time.
IIRC, the BM59 stock works on an M1 Garand. It is inletted for the BM59 though. Meaning it has the gap in front of the trigger housing for the longer detachable box magazine of the BM59.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The center stock is a Reese single wire folder
The third one down is a Springfield BM stock for the M1A (Note the correct raised area in the forearm section for the sling, plastic grip, and double wire)

The Beretta made ones are MUCH tighter in the folding mechanism lock up.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
While not on an M1A, for the above stated reasons, here is a BM59 folder on a Tanker Garand.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Hmmmm, do I really WANT to shoot that?

While not on an M1A, for the above stated reasons, here is a BM59 folder on a Tanker Garand.

Just cuz it fits doesn't mean you should shoot it. I shot a 30-30 out of a TC Contender with a 10" barrel . . . once. I thought my elbow was going to blow out of the end of my arm. The adreneline would really have to be pumping to shoot a 30-06 out of that little thing. You could practice by holding a railroad spike up to your shoulder and having your buddy pound on it I guess.

Interesting looking piece.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just picked one up off a member here. I had planned on putting it on a scout but I am thinking I might save it for an M14K.
Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just picked this up on GB.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
You have the option of getting an mfs-14 from mcmillan I just picked one up it should be here in a couple of days. I also found 1 of 98 that were ever made of one of these E2 conversions

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I just went back and checked my ads. I sold a Reese for $150 and a BM for $450 late summer.

I still have a BM on hand, but it's waiting on a special rifle, and it's not for sale.GI2

Oddly enough, I had traded a TRW bolt for one of them (BM), and the other was given to me (BM) on a rifle deal a few years back because the fella thought it was the worst stock ever devised for a scoped rifle. I smiled as I took it from him, and didn't loose a minutes sleep. In a way, he was right.GI2

·
Registered
73 Posts
i can NOT speak from personal expeiriance yet, but have u checked www.cmmanufacturing.com yet?? they make a gi fiberglass stock with folding butt and pistol grip. i have been eyeballing it for a while now, but havent pulled the trigger yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts