M14 Forum banner

Where might one find a unitized gas system?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  DocMinster 
#1 ·
Im courious where one might find a unitized gas system and not get hit to hard in the walled like the $120 clams that FA wants? Or is that the going rate?

Phil

#2 ·
From what I have seen that is pretty much the norm for a new front band and gas cylinder that is unitized with the welding method. If you are looking to get "your" front band and gas cylinder unitized, Hueygunner does an excellent job and for a very reasonable price. He does the unitizing with the epoxy/screw method.

respects,
Zog

#4 ·
I ordered a unitized cylinder from FA and immediately returned it for a refund due to the horrible weld job on it. They form a weld bead on the outside and it looks very bad. Their lower price may be one thing, but for a few extra bucks you can get one from Springfield Armory that is far cleaner and nicer looking.

Springfield Armory has the unitized gas cylinders that are assembled with the screws and epoxy method and are well worth the $114 current price. However, they are on back order right now but will have plenty available within 30 days.

Springfield Armory sells these same unitized cylinders to Brownells who sells them for the same retail price of $114, however if you are dealer (or know a dealer) you can get it from Brownells for $91. Brownells is also out at the moment but have more coming from Springfield. I ordered my second one yesterday from Brownells (at my dealer cost).

#5 ·
I bought a non-unitized gas cylinder from Fulton right before Thanksgiving and when it arrived it was rusty and pitted. I called them and they said they would replace it which they did. Good service but the first one should not have gotten out to start with, plus I had to pay shipping to return the original.

#6 ·
pbiggs said:
Im courious where one might find a unitized gas system and not get hit to hard in the walled like the $120 clams that FA wants? Or is that the going rate?

Phil
For unitizing, I just had mine done at a local tool and die shop. I had the tech make three TIG-weld tacks, at the 10, 2 and 6 o'clock positions. Each tack weld is aprox. 3-4mm in diameter; virtually unnoticable. Total cost, $10.00 Canadian. This was on a Norinco M305s.

#7 ·
Aloha,

Commericially, there are many avenues in trying to get a unitized gas cylinder... it will depend on whether you want the welded or screwed method used in making it.

I have main used and bought the "AMU-screw type" but I do have a few welded type... if done well, it looks and gauges really good... but it can get ugly or messed up if done wrong.

Contact Frank Sottile (WTS section) and Ted Brown (Washington). I think they might have some on hand, but I am not sure which type they have.

I was fortunate to have a fellow member of this board make mine and I love the workmanship in the end product! Thanks again, Jeff!

Aloha,

Tom O.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.