M14 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in San Diego, Smith & Wesson revolvers are darn scarce - new guns, consignment guns, online ad guns. There are just not many - especially .44 Magnum's.

Anyone know what happened? Is it like this everywhere?

5,445 Posts
Smith and Wesson no longer does business in KaliforniaStan. That is why S&W is scarce within this trash filled state of ours.

S&W took a stand against KaliforniaStan's shortsighted, corrupt, anti-gun laws late last year and ceased doing business here out of sheer principal. Oh... and by cease to do business here... I mean just that CEASE to do business. S&W rescinded all their law enforcement contracts (here within KaliforniaStan) and won't even do business with government/law enforcement within KaliforniaStan.

Rock on S&W!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I knew Barrett refused sales/service to CA law enforcement agencies but I didn't know S&W followed suit. Good for them and here's to hoping (not holding my breath) that Glock, Sig, FN, and any other big manufacturer will do the same.

·
Registered
871 Posts
On one hand it's great to see a business cut all sales to the Government agencies but to stop all sales to law abiding Citizens is just what the gun grabbers want , so who wins, I say the Government. Just a thought.

5,445 Posts
Spot on DSC! Spot on!

Just like our Fed gubermint is trying to outlaw civilians from owning personal armor!

Time to make a stand perhaps... or perhaps not. GI8

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
A S&W 629 is a $1000 gun. For that price you can a nice Sig 1911 and ~$150 worth of .45 ACP or a G21 and ~500 worth of .45.

There's no reason to own a wheel gun anymore other than nostalgia or "just to own one".

It's not really surprising that they're experiencing declining market share.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Smith and Wesson no longer does business in KaliforniaStan. That is why S&W is scarce within this trash filled state of ours.

S&W took a stand against KaliforniaStan's shortsighted, corrupt, anti-gun laws late last year and ceased doing business here out of sheer principal. Oh... and by cease to do business here... I mean just that CEASE to do business. S&W rescinded all their law enforcement contracts (here within KaliforniaStan) and won't even do business with government/law enforcement within KaliforniaStan.

Rock on S&W!

If this is true I'd sure like to see a press release on this.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
A S&W 629 is a $1000 gun. For that price you can a nice Sig 1911 and ~$150 worth of .45 ACP or a G21 and ~500 worth of .45.

There's no reason to own a wheel gun anymore other than nostalgia or "just to own one".

It's not really surprising that they're experiencing declining market share.
That is not a valid argument. You can say the same about the 1911 you mentioned, M14 clones, etc.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I must respectfully disagree with you on this. Every thing has its place and reason and just boils down to the shooter. I myself am not a big wheel gun fan but reliable is its strong suit. When the time comes to stand shoulder to shoulder, i will not judge , as long as you're armed.

I would love to have one in 460 some day. No reason for it , just giggles.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That is not a valid argument. You can say the same about the 1911 you mentioned, M14 clones, etc.
Technology has moved past the wheel gun, and the price for semi-auto pistols has now gotten so low that wheel guns are now longer competitive technologically or economically. You're right about 1911s as well, although they're not technologically inferior to the newer models that have replaced them, they're certainly more expensive, which is why they're seeing a declining market share.

Surely you've noticed that M14 clones have a tiny share of the gun market? My SAI that I bought last December has a serial number in the low 320ks. My PSA rifle that I bought in July of last year has a serial number in the mid 80ks. and PSA has been making their own lowers for all of like 5 years. That's the overwhelming share of M14-pattern rifles verses a tiny part of the market share of ARs, and the AR market is growing, while the M14 market would be rapidly dying off if soldiers coming back from the sandbox weren't breathing new life into it.

My argument isn't invalid, you just don't understand the relative market share of your examples.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I must respectfully disagree with you on this. Every thing has its place and reason and just boils down to the shooter. I myself am not a big wheel gun fan but reliable is its strong suit. When the time comes to stand shoulder to shoulder, i will not judge , as long as you're armed.

I would love to have one in 460 some day. No reason for it , just giggles.
Are you suggesting that a Sig P220 or a Glock 21 is unreliable???

·
Registered
871 Posts
I can't get on board on the wheel guns being antiquated either. As much as I like my 1911's if it came down to it I would think a 25-5 Smith with a 3" bbl would be a great one to have. Or heck , you can break all the springs in a SSA and still shoot it. Good one for SHTF. It's all in the one behind the pistol.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Technology has moved past the wheel gun, and the price for semi-auto pistols has now gotten so low that wheel guns are now longer competitive technologically or economically. You're right about 1911s as well, although they're not technologically inferior to the newer models that have replaced them, they're certainly more expensive, which is why they're seeing a declining market share.

Surely you've noticed that M14 clones have a tiny share of the gun market? My SAI that I bought last December has a serial number in the low 320ks. My PSA rifle that I bought in July of last year has a serial number in the mid 80ks. and PSA has been making their own lowers for all of like 5 years. That's the overwhelming share of M14-pattern rifles verses a tiny part of the market share of ARs, and the AR market is growing, while the M14 market would be rapidly dying off if soldiers coming back from the sandbox weren't breathing new life into it.

My argument isn't invalid, you just don't understand the relative market share of your examples.
LOL...you lost all credibility with me when you said "my PSA gun"...
PSA doesn't make anything of their own and most of what they sell is pure [email protected]
What percentage of the "market" do you think Porsche or Ferrari have? Are they technologically "behind"?
Foolish argument.
Wheel guns will always have their place even if it is based on personal preference. Technology has nothing to do with it. 99% of a pistol's function is to go "bang" when you pull the trigger and hit what you're aiming at. The rest is fluff. The fundamental differences between wheel guns and semi-autos has been around for very long time, long before "technology" started playing a part in the game. There's not a whole lot of technology to improve on with a wheel gun.

PSA...lol, that's a good one.

I had a 586 that, of ALL the pistols I've ever had, was probably the best functioning, best feeling, certainly the most accurate pistol I ever owned. I wish I never sold it and they bring more now than they did when I sold mine. Funny how the market reflects their "obsolescence" as you would put it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Are you suggesting that a Sig P220 or a Glock 21 is unreliable???
Nope. Got a 21 my self. Now , if you think we're going to argue or get into a penis contest well guess what ? Not gonna happen. I feel like i conveyed my thoughts of impartiality hoping to avoid this kind of response. My post was just my opinion and if that bothered you then that's not my problem. Seek argument therapy else where. Have a good day.

Ps. I think we're getting off topic and if I'm part that , I apologize to the OP.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Owned a number of revolvers in my life I've yet to have a FTE or a jam, they're stone cold reliable , will shoot anything that fits in them, And many are capable of outstanding accuracy. One of my little carry guns is a charter arms bulldog in 44special . Can't think of many folks who'll stand in front of one of those and call them "antiquated" . It doesn't matter how many rounds you carry only the hits count .

·
Registered
871 Posts
You see, that's what use to make this country great...and in some places it still is. You can take one person that likes the newest and some say greatest wiz bang products they can find and then you have the person that thinks all you need are simple things that have been proven to work for a very long time. I will give you the things of old will dry up at some point but were they substandard in some way or is it just less expensive to build products out of plastic. I will keep my judgment to myself and not push an opinion on someone .

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There's not a whole lot of technology to improve on with a wheel gun.
Funny how the market reflects their "obsolescence" as you would put it.
Comparing a SW 629 to a Porsche... not sure if serious. Also, lol at evaluating the content of my post based on the company that manufactured my lower.

Revolvers have always had one fundamental problem, which has always been, and will always be, capacity. You can't feed a revolver as efficiently as you can a mag-fed semi-auto pistol, and a revolver can't have the same capacity as a magazine. The weakness of semi auto pistols had been that good ones were more expensive than wheel guns, but as the technology behind them has matured, the cost for a reliable SA pistol has steadily dropped.

It's a better product for less money. Wins every time.

As far as the red, you have a strong misunderstanding of economics. As supply shrinks, the price rises. What could be driving a decreasing supply and inflating prices for your model of revolver. The World Wonders...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Owned a number of revolvers in my life I've yet to have a FTE or a jam, they're stone cold reliable , will shoot anything that fits in them, And many are capable of outstanding accuracy. One of my little carry guns is a charter arms bulldog in 44special . Can't think of many folks who'll stand in front of one of those and call them "antiquated" . It doesn't matter how many rounds you carry only the hits count .
I can't think of many folks who would stand in front of a flint lock pistol and call them "antiquated" either.

Of course a revolver will still "get the job done". A semi auto pistol will just get it done better for less money.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.