M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having one of those discussion with my dad and brother about the M-16 vs M14 vs M1 Garand arguments, and then the movie full metal jacket came in to play.

However noone of us seem to agree or understand why Stanley Kurbuck titled the movie as such.

I think it was because that was the line where Pile finally looses it and is "hard to the core" Like a ball round is. but does anyone have their 2 cents of observation.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I was having one of those discussion with my dad and brother about the M-16 vs M14 vs M1 Garand arguments, and then the movie full metal jacket came in to play.

However noone of us seem to agree or understand why Stanley Kurbuck titled the movie as such.

I think it was because that was the line where Pile finally looses it and is "hard to the core" Like a ball round is. but does anyone have their 2 cents of observation.
I have read that while the Movie was based on a story titled something like: "The Short-timers"...that Title could have been 'misconscrewed' GI5 and lacked the 'war-like' image Kulbrick was looking for, and he stumbled over the phrase "Full Metal Jacket" while reading a gun catalog or such...

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Shortly before Pyle does Hartman and himself in...

(Joker finds Leonard ("Pyle") in the head loading his rifle)
Leonard
: (eerily) Hi, Joker.
Joker: (concerned) Are those, live rounds?
Leonard: Seven-six-two millimeter. Full, metal, jacket.
Joker: (calmly) Leonard, if Hartman catches us in here, we'll be in a world of ****.
Leonard: I am... in a world... of ****!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shortly before Pyle does Hartman and himself in...

(Joker finds Leonard ("Pyle") in the head loading his rifle)
Leonard
: (eerily) Hi, Joker.
Joker: (concerned) Are those, live rounds?
Leonard: Seven-six-two millimeter. Full, metal, jacket.
Joker: (calmly) Leonard, if Hartman catches us in here, we'll be in a world of ****.
Leonard: I am... in a world... of ****!
this is what i was referring to.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
That's the line that he decided to name the movie after.
You May Be 100% Correct,

But, We Know That HOW ?

GI1

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
You May Be 100% Correct,

But, We Know That HOW ?

GI1

CAVman in WYoming
You're right, I'm looking for more info... I found this:

Meaning of the Title

Title "Full Metal Jacket" refers to type of round Pyle loads into rifle when he kills Sgt Hartman and commits suicide - 7.62 mm high-velocity copper-jacketed bullet (Hasford, p. 30).

But still looking.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmmmmmmmmm.....GI3

·
Registered
322 Posts
Stanley Kubrick's movie titles often lack an obvious link to the movies themselves. Or maybe I'm such a simpleton that I fail to see them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.