M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Local gunshow this weekend in So Cal 22 prices were still ridiculous. At least primers were down to $27 per K and ammo cans back down to around $10 for 50 cal and $6 for 30 cal. Some prices down but powder still high and couldn't find any 4895 for less then $30 a pound.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I haven't bought .22lr in nearly three years! Not because I have a good stash, but because I refuse to pay the price! Can the price of .22 ammo continue to be inflated through this year yet? I thought the price would have crashed a year ago, I was wrong!

.22 ammo must not be high profit for the manufacturers, otherwise they would make it their first priority. It will catch up eventually, unless there is another Sandy Hook - then forget about it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Before the panic, before I even had a rifle in 22lr, I picked up a case (5k) surplus 22lr from CMP. Haven't dove into it yet and could of made a killing in the heat of the panic, but have to say, it is one of the few times I was not late to the party.

It is nice to know that even though I can now find reasonably priced 22lr from time to time, nice to have something in the "bank"

Rakin

·
Registered
118 Posts
A home town sporting goods store,"", had Remington Yellow Jackets in a 500 count box on a "Black Friday" sale Thanksgiving night for $19.95. Daughter shoots a Browning 1911-22LR. She and I both stood in line to buy our one box limit. Maybe look at the junk mail and keep eyes open for opportunities.

The word police zapped the name of the store " " above. If you remember a comic book detective with the last name of Tracy,or a nick-name for Richard,you can figure out the store's name.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I haven't purchased any 22LR in a long time. Don't pay those high prices. It's not worth it. Put it towards other ammo you need 223 308 (a lot of XM80 is going for around 320$ per 500) or reloading components primers and powder. Primers are getting cheaper.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Maybe I should look up rifles in the 17rem fireball. Hard to find, sure. But if this keep going up, might be interesting to try out.

If you go with the .221 Fireball you can cast and just about duplicate 22LR. That cartridge is too fun for words.

Reactions: m1476251

·
Registered
356 Posts
Only book to have it listed in my shelf is Hornady Handloading 8th edition. Sports a velocity in the mid 3500 fps with differnt wieght bullets. Seems pretty decent. How fast are .22LR anyway?

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,196 Posts
I think before you can buy a brick of 22lr or any ammo for that matter, you should have to show a NRA membership card.
How do we get all the LGS do it? Or maybe the NRA should sell a brick of .22 ammo and a membership for ?$.

Casey

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Prices are inflated because most people didn't have the foresight to stock up BEFORE the panic set in. The people I shoot with haven't bought 22LR since 2008. Everybody else is now trying to find way to feed what used to be the inexpensive part of the shooting hobby. From what I've seen some people look at food in the same way?GI3

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Only book to have it listed in my shelf is Hornady Handloading 8th edition. Sports a velocity in the mid 3500 fps with differnt wieght bullets. Seems pretty decent. How fast are .22LR anyway?
Depends. Four hundred and ninety fps for the Colibri (if memory serves) to I think over 1200 with some of the newer CCI. Stingers beat that with lighter bullets.

A little pistol powder and you are a little over supersonic.

If you don't want the hassle of casting, the little 35gr VMAX bullets over 5gr Unique makes for a 22 Mag.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Love shooting 22LR, have several pistols, plus several rifles. I have stopped shooting these weapons, and shot 9mm, 40, 45acp, 5.56, and 7.62. Load for these, and cheaper to shot than 22LR. I'm not going to pay these stupid prices. Have few 22 rds, but their for hunting, and ADC work. Have my name on several suppliers list waiting. The gougers, as their called, can live off someone else. I watch a forum here, and there's couple people, who have 22 ammo about every wk. They get it through Wal Mart, pay people in store to let them know when it's delivered. They have come down on prices some what. But still steep.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts