M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a SAI M1A "Loaded" that is 100% made from SAI cast parts (no USGI parts whatsoever). I plan on using this rifle as my main hog hunting gun, and I really hate it when things go wrong on a hunt. If I shoot this rifle frequently, after how many rounds will something break or go wrong (extractor, etc.)? Or is this all a myth? What has been your experience with your non-USGI M1A?

Thanks everyone,

Jerry

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Be careful asking questions like that on this forum....it could be looked upon as "trolling"....just a friendly suggestion. Also, I have owned three non USGI M1A's.....there isn't a specific time or round cound when your rifle will suddenly and magically fall apart and "break". With care and proper handling, I would think that it would last you a lifetime. Treat her good and she will do the same for you buddy.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Welp, I dont have nearly as much trigger time on the M14/M1A as some of these gents here, but I can tell you that after 2000 rounds, my SAI loaded is still kicking. No issues, not even 1 FTF/FTE/FTLIB. Id trust it with my life.

·
Registered
637 Posts
be careful asking questions like that on this forum....it could be looked upon as "trolling"....just a friendly suggestion. Also, i have owned three non usgi m1a's.....there isn't a specific time or round cound when your rifle will suddenly and magically fall apart and "break". With care and proper handling, i would think that it would last you a lifetime. Treat her good and she will do the same for you buddy.
+1!

·
"Death From Above"
11,254 Posts
Wow that's some question. The answer is when you least expect it? Mine managed to get through a couple of hundred rounds before I had to send it back for something major but it was fixed and then some no questions asked.
They are nit as prone to failure as they are made out to be. They make so many of them it's hard to put a number in how many actually had trouble. I would imagine if your hog hunting you carry a back up pistol so I think you should at least be able to protect yourself.
PS the only part in mine that's GI is the trigger group.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
its a mechanical object, and that means it could break the very next time you use it, or it may run for the rest of your lifetime without a failure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully my question does not appear as "trolling." In fact, I had no idea what that word meant until 3 minutes ago. I've been hunting with bolt-action rifles for a long time with never any issues. This M1A is the first magazine-fed, semi-auto, that I will hunt with. And after reading some negative opinions on SAI cast parts, I just want to get some positive opinions before trusting my hunt or my life on this rifle.

So far after 400 rounds, I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
like 82nd said when you least expect it but hay that is the case with all of them

i would suggest (if you can ) buy a few spare parts that are easily replaced and shoot the crap out of it

any major issues send it back

most issues are small things that were overlooked on the gun when built and although they should have been repaired / replaced befor the gun left it happens to all of the manufacturers

the quality of SAI being less then others is a mudslinging contest
Sai has produced over a quarter of a MILLION M1A more than all other manufacturers combined plus

and they all have had their major screw ups the thing you need to look at is will they fix and stand behind it without a fight or paying though the nose for it
SAI will who else will?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I will 2nd what 82nd said, the ones you hear about having problems are a tiny fraction of the number that will run trouble free for years and years.
TRY to break it and you might, but treat it right and it should outlive you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would strongly suggest getting a few USGI spares and making sure they fit in your gun:
Extractor,
Ejector + Spring,
Firing Pin.

I have never had a breakage myself. I have heard of extractors breaking and seen broken firing pins. The Ejector doesn't break, but if the extractor breaks, you stand a very good chance of losing the ejector and spring.

Inspect it for wear especially undue wear when you clean it. Things don't often just fail with no warning. The issues with wear that folks describe here are often because they are service rifle competitors and shoot literally thousands of rounds per year.

Use the rifle and enjoy it. Replace stuff that breaks.

Congratulations on owning a cool gun!
- Ivan.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I recently bought a SAI M1A "Loaded" that is 100% made from SAI cast parts (no USGI parts whatsoever). I plan on using this rifle as my main hog hunting gun, and I really hate it when things go wrong on a hunt. If I shoot this rifle frequently, after how many rounds will something break or go wrong (extractor, etc.)? Or is this all a myth? What has been your experience with your non-USGI M1A?....

You're entire post is filled with negativity about cast parts and SAI, yet
after 400 rounds there's nothing wrong?

Even the post title is negative.
Maybe it should read, "After 400 rounds my SAI M1A is still going strong"?

Hmm?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Captain, we must not be on the same page here. My original post is a question pertaining to SAI cast parts, not a judgement. Please re-read my post, and not between the lines.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

I don't own an SAI, so can't speak from any experience with one. However, as others have said, anything mechanical can fail unexpectedly at any time. So, I carry a small set of the most common, potential failure (and field replaceable) items for whichever rifle I'm out with in my bag. These tend to be bolt parts for my M14s; essentially a full bolt parts set. Some guys will carry FCG parts, but I don't. FWIW, having owned M14s since '95, I've never had to replace a part in the field. The only problem I ever had was a front site becoming loose that I caught before the set screw came out (so I also now carry a small tube of purple LockTight).

I have a different parts set for ARs that would have those specific items (again, mostly bolt parts, plus some springs and pins). If you use a scope, you may consider including spares for any little set screws, nuts or whatever holds the rings and mounts on.

Having a few tools may be just as or even more important than parts. A good "Leatherman" type multi-tool and perhaps whatever rifle specific wrench/tool/etc.. The USGI M14 tool is handy for several different tasks and stores right in the buttstock.

Lastly, if you keep your rifle well maintained, chances are much better you'll not need any parts when your out shooting it. Good luck!

Regards, Jim

·
"Death From Above"
11,254 Posts
A good place to look for spare parts would be through the forum vendors. One that always comes to mind right of the bac is Claude at RA parts. He too has a full time teaching job and may if I'm not mistaken been a little under the weather recently. If you email him or leave a message on the machine I'm sure he will get back to you. It's not like you need the parts tomorrow. You may also want to post a want to buy thread in the PX area. Ya never know! Glad to have you with us. Sit back, as it had been mentioned shoot the snot out of that puppy. If you run into any trouble we will do what we can go help you out. There are apt of members here that really know there stuff as well as a couple of m14 phd's running around. If you have a question just ask away. Spare bolt parts seem to be the norm around here. Problem is once you have spare parts it only a matter of time before your turning in your cans to save up for another rifle. I said it before and I'll say it again, I can turn a spare flash hider set screw into a new rifle in a few months. Good luck with your new hobby.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
At the very least get yourself a USGI extractor and replace the factory unit in your rifle. You can save it for an emergency spare, so it's not a total waste of money.

7th

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sub-question: There seems to be the implication that G.I. parts never break or go wrong. Is this correct?

For example during the Viet Nam War, when the rifle was in heavy use, didn't the G.I. parts wear out? Didn't rifles have had to be re-built? Don't combat rifles have to be repaired and rebuilt even today?

I have read that cast bolt stops are not adequate. Yes or no?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
It's just prudent to have a few high stress parts for every firearm you own. Get some, keep them with the rifle and you're good to go. After 400 trouble free rounds I wouldn't worry about the rifle but parts are comforting anyway, your know, just in case the day comes when YOU'RE the guy who HAS to service your rifle yourself or do without it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts