M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a used loaded M1A. It is like new and has a springfield 6X40 scope and Springield mount. Asking price is 1599. By the SN the gun was MFG in 1998. Is this old enough to have the GI parts etc? I did not have a chance to strip it. I was already late getting back from lunchICONSAD!

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,821 Posts
This question come up all the time. Springfield has never stopped using GI parts although they are getting fewer and fewer. SA started using commercial replacement parts as far back as the late 1970's. It's a matter of what ever they have on the shelf at the time as to whether you get GI parts or not. Most of the SA rifles built during the last ten years are primarily commercial parts. Most new M1A rifles have no GI parts at all.

·
Registered
381 Posts
This question come up all the time. Springfield has never stopped using GI parts although they are getting fewer and fewer. SA started using commercial replacement parts as far back as the late 1970's. It's a matter of what ever they have on the shelf at the time as to whether you get GI parts or not. Most of the SA rifles built during the last ten years are primarily commercial parts. Most new M1A rifles have no GI parts at all.
Agreed. My late 90's sai m1a has only a usgi trigger group as far as I can see. That said, it shoots about as well as my all h&r fulton receivered build.

I only wish the Springfield had a chrome bore and didn't allow the roller to lightly contact the receiver in rearward travel. SA says that is normal. My fulton and old polytech say otherwise.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My '03 year Standard has a H&R bbl. That's the only part on the rifle I'm sure of that is USGI...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
There is no definitive answer, each & every rifle is different, some are loaded in GI parts while another with a close SN# will have none - Also i consider the quality of the individual receiver of greater importance (rear sight pocket, safety bridge, bolt stop fit, etc) - IMO a close inspection is a MUST before purchase

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.