M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be one of a dying breed, You see I am a wheelgun shooter. I love big bore wheelguns, small bore it does not matter. I went into a gun store today and the had about 50 autos and 4 revolvers, Don't get me wrong I love my 1911's and most autos but I love my revolvers.
So whats the deal, where are the Wheelguns ?

Casey

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I shoot wheel guns too. I also use mine to teach new shooters how to shoot. I just don't shoot them as much as my auto loaders. Revolvers are great at the ready home defense guns. No safety to fumble with, aim and squeeze the trigger, nothing could be simpler.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm with ya bud! The first handgun I ever got for myself was a wheelgun. Years later I got a 1911, but I'll never give up my .357 snubby. I'm about to have a smith install an adjustable rear sight, and either a gold bead, or glowing front sight. Perhaps the #1 reason I love em, is the fact they are a self-contained unit. Like most shotguns and lever-actions, the magazine/loading device is on the gun itself. No need for magazines or clips which can get lost or broken (might i add banned). They're an all-inclusive package. I like .357 too because you can switch to .38 ...that's just good utility and flexibility.

People often call revolvers indestructible and jam-free... Word to the wise: Don't break the ejector spring on a Ruger Double Action. It makes the cylinder get out of wack and doesn't rotate or lock back into battery correctly.

That aside, I recommend everyone try shooting one eventually. I have friends who are decent shots with autos. Once I give them the short-barreled Double Action Only, they need to learn some new fundamentals.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Earthquake, I love wheelguns too. Hell I love anything that takes ammo GI1

But I do have a soft spot for revolvers. It all started when I was 16 and I gave the money to my dad to buy me a new Colt Trooper MK III 357 in Coltguard. I could sell it for 4x what I paid for it but it something that my daughters can sell or shoot after I'm dead as I will never part with it. I have many Colts, Rugers and Smiths but the only large bores I have is a 45LC and a 41 Mag. I would like a 44 to go with my Ruger carbine but haven't gotten around to it yet. The best part about revolvers is not having to chase brass to reload as they are always in the cylinder.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
If you are dying so are the rest of us! I love my wheelguns, whether its a single action .45LC or a K frame Smith & Wesson. I have been shooting revolvers for the past 40 out of my 52 years and intend to keep doing so as long as I can! Of course I still shoot my High Powers, Beretta's, Glocks and 1911's!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I love wheel guns, I remember the first time my dad handed me his S&W 66 like it was yesterday, I'm still searching for nice 66, this summer while I was home I was hunting for a 29 6in, after I left he called me and asked if I would like to buy his (said it hurts his wrists to much to shoot it) as he doesn't shoot it anymore, long story short I've got more wheel guns than autos and that's def different than most 25yr olds like me.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
At my house! Another Wheelgunnah here I've got a few that I shoot in competition. There is just something about a 625 Smith or a good tune up 610 that just get my juices flowing.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I got's a few!

N Frames

K Frames

That is a nice collection of Smith and Wesson's you got there. I got rid of most of my K frame stuff a couple years ago to pick up more m1a stuff. I do have a nice model 10 and a sweet model 18 that I would not part with.

Reactions: stoky

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks 3Gunnah!

I think I'm done collecting smith and wessons for awhile though. Everything has just gotten so darn expensive in the past two years.

But then again, who am I kidding? Maybe one or two more.......

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I like my .44 rossi mag.

I think if they wernt so expensive you would see more of them selling.

our main lgs has just as many revolvers as automatics. but all the nice ones are very expensive.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Back in the mid 80s when I attended FBI LEO firearms instructor school, revolvers ruled the roost in police work in this country. However beginning in the 90s things changed and I had to go back to FBI revolver to auto pistol transition school and learn how to instruct on those new fangled semi autos. This proved to be very interesting and even challenging when training or qualifying cops with a mixture of revolvers and semi autos on the range at the same time.

I've always maintained and still do that a good revolver man with a quality revolver and speed loaders is still a force to be reckoned with. After all, it's not the weapon that prevails, it's the warrior and the tactics that he/she employs that usually determines the outcome of a lethal force encounter.

7th

·
Registered
871 Posts
As much as I enjoy my 1911's my heart will always be for a slick 4 3/4 Colt SAA .45. Always have one on me when I hit the big woods. Dan

·
Registered
241 Posts
revolver guys

My earliest memory is a "I" frame S&W in 22 LR that my grandpa carried as engineer on a diesel powered locomotive and used to shoot at foxes in the engine head light. Since then I have accumulated several "I" frames along with several other S&W revolvers and Colt clone single actions. I do competition with semi-auto but pleasure shooting will always be revolvers.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I love 'em, and own them in calibers from .22 LR, to .45 Colt. My favorites are the N frames by S&W. The .45ACP models are my favorites. Big guns, mild recoil.

I'm still a big fan of the Colt action, especially in the Python, Officer's Model Match, and pre-MKIII Troopers.

There's the added advantage of not having to chase brass, since I reload.

BGRIN1 BGRIN1 BGRIN1

·
Registered
431 Posts
I figure there's a reason, besides a department policy, that the likes of Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton carried revolvers.

I've only got three right now but like pendennis I love the S&W N frames, thinkin' real serious about a 4" in 44 mag.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Smith & Wesson's are my favorite revolver, I have 4 M29's, a 6" K22 Masterpiece, a 2 1/2" M19 and a M36 Chief Special. I also have 3 Ruger SBH's 2 BH's in 45 colt and a Single Six and some where hiding in the box is a Webly MKVI that has been converted to 45 ACP with 1/2 moon clips and a Rossi 720 in 44 special. If any body has a beat up S&W Model 10, I'm looking for one to make into a pin gun, I have a 6" bull barrel and a Aristocrat rib to go on it, For some reason everybody seems to think M10's are worth a ton of cash.

Casey

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My first defensive handgun was a Dan Wesson Model 715 .357 Magnum with a 6 inch barrel. I was given a Ruger Standard as a child that was my first gun, but the first gun I ever carried for personal defense was my Dan Wesson.

Casey, I have a S&W model 610 but you are not prying that one out of my hands.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts